Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardies Drinking Habits

Options
  • 24-10-2012 6:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Just got chatting to a very interesting person on the train, and we were talking about drinking and It's costs both financially and socially...

Socially, I can take or leave, but I'm very interested to see what are the costs to the average boards members...

What does a night out on the sauce cost you?

Just a few things-
    College: Yes/No
    How many times a week do you drink:
    What do you spend on drink:
    What do you spend on taxi/food:

Would be very interesting to see, as the figures I've just heard seem ludircous, but then again I've cut my drinking by 99.9% in this calendar year.

And if anything else, the replies will keep me occupied on this stupid train...god I hate going to Dublin...

So I'll start
    College No
    Times a week 0
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

College: No
    Times a week: 7
    Spend on drink: Anywhere above $250 a week! Realistically its generally more, there's been weeks on closer to $800.
    Spend on food: Anywhere above $150 a week.

It is a lot, but I'm working in Hospitality here, so that means the 5 days your working you have a few drinks when your done. Then on the days off your letting your hair down going out for dinners and drinking till 4am so it adds up quickly!

About the only thing I'll be glad to move home for is getting a break from it all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

kmart6 wrote: »
    Times a week: 7
    Spend on drink: Anywhere above $250 a week! Realistically its generally more, there's been weeks on closer to $800.
    Spend on food: Anywhere above $150 a week.

It is a lot, but I'm working in Hospitality here, so that means the 5 days your working you have a few drinks when your done. Then on the days off your letting your hair down going out for dinners and drinking till 4am so it adds up quickly!

About the only thing I'll be glad to move home for is getting a break from it all!

In Oz are we? Remember when I was there, drank way too much, and It's what lead to be cutting it pretty much out this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

College: Yes
    How many times a week do you drink: 3
    What do you spend on drink: €18. 3x6 €1 cans.
    What do you spend on taxi/food: very hard to tell tbh as I live at home but it would be more than 18 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

How many times a week do you drink: One, maybe two.
    What do you spend on drink: €15/€20 if I'm at home or go to a friend's house. €80 or so if I go out.
    What do you spend on taxi/food: Don't eat when I'm drunk, taxi's usually no more than a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Foxwaldo

How many times a week do you drink:2/4
    What do you spend on drink:Weekdays 10/50 weekend can be 100/150
    What do you spend on taxi/food:if i do do out to town it can be between 10/40 depending who i am with. food no more than 15 on a burger and the likes.

No that i think about it i waste a lot of money doing the exact same thing each week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Times a week: 2-5
    Drink Spending: 80 per night. (Unless working, then I get freebies)
    Food/ Spending: Never really remember that far into the night, so about 20 a night maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

How many times a week do you drink: 1
    What do you spend on drink: €50
    What do you spend on taxi/food:€10

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

How many times a week do you drink: 1-2
    What do you spend on drink: Minimum: €50 up to €500 (rare cases)
    What do you spend on taxi/food: €10-€40

After breaking up with my ex, I went on a couple of mad ones that involved more than drink if you know what I mean. It included an after party in a hotel, then on to an early house for The Breakfast Club the powering on through the next day, getting taxis, drinking cocktails and getting **** faced and high.

I'm not loaded, I just get paid monthly and have been very stupid with money. Good times though.

This month I'm gonna really cut it out. Go back to having more innocent fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

How many times a week do you drink: 1 or 2 times
    What do you spend on drink: 50-80 euro
    What do you spend on taxi/food: 0

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

In Oz are we? Remember when I was there, drank way too much, and It's what lead to be cutting it pretty much out this year...
    No NYC!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 SiegHeilNosey

How many times a week do you drink: 3-5
    What do you spend on drink: Minimum: €200 up to €500 (rare cases)
    What do you spend on taxi/food: €60

Ive recently cut down substantially since i worked out how much money i was giving them bastárds.

havent drank since friday...........thats a win for me!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

How many times a week do you drink: 2/3 max these days
    What do you spend on drink: 16-20€ (can't beat the cans :pac:)
    What do you spend on taxi/food: Rarely drink out, hate pubs & clubs :) . Food usually a frozen pizza or make something, 2-5€

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I gave up drink when I went travelling and realised other countries don't really drink like us... the only countries I've been to who are similar are the UK, Poland, Russia and Mongolia... and all of those places have a serious problem with alcohol.

It feels great being booze free. No more hangovers, way more energy and motivation, more money, better diet, slimmer, etc.

I don't do moderation very well so I'd rather give up altogether than hope I can stop after pint number two...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

How many times a week do you drink: 1-2
    What do you spend on drink: €20-30

• Registered Users Posts: 20,732 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

College : No
    How many times a week: 1
    Spent on drink : 100euro
    Taxi/food: only taxi 20 to 30 euro,

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Nickcaved

I don't drink too often. I prefer to stay in and wine and dinner with a friend.
    I only like to rink really if there's food on the table also!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

How many times a week do you drink: 5-7
    What do you spend on drink: 50 a week
    What do you spend on taxi/food: Drinking mainly at home so N/A.

A bottle of wine with herself at home, or a few beers most nights. Usually some nice foreign imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

How many times a week do you drink: One. Two on a bank holiday weekend.
    What do you spend on drink: 40-50 per night out. Nearer to 40.
    What do you spend on food/taxi: Zero on food. Zero on taxi as I usually get a lift home from my father whose a taxi driver at the end of his night.

That's a revised list of my drinking habits. There was a while there at the start of the year when I was in between jobs and was single where I would literally spend any money I had on me on drink. Out every Sunday night without fail too, despite Monday being my only real guaranteed day of work at the time. Came to a head when I was sat in a pub known as one frequented by heavy drinkers on a Tuesday morning because I literally had nothing else to do. It really hit home how depressing it can get.

So got my life in order, curtailed my drinking down to the normal, i.e Friday or Saturday nights, and made a vow to myself not to go drinking during the week or on a Sunday, with a monetary award for myself if I stick to my promise. Have found myself enjoying my night's out more now. Use them more as a chance to mingle with my friends rather than as a chance to exorcise boredom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Op's secretly doing this to gather info for college assignment! GET HIM

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

How many times a week do you drink: Between 2 and 6

What do you spend on drink: Depends where I'm drinking. House party, £10, pub, £20 or so

What do you spend on taxi/food: Nothing on taxis. Food as in bar snacks or my meals? About £5 a week on food (meals), maybe two packs of scampi fries when drinking in a pub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

College: no
    Drinks per week: none
    Spend on drink: 20 (when I buy friends the odd pint)
    Spend on food: 8:50

• Registered Users Posts: 13,872 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Yep, just happened to get talking to someone on the train this morning. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

How many times a week do you drink: 1 max
    What do you spend on drink: 6 euro (1 bottle of wine in tesco)
    What do you spend on taxi/food: Drinking mainly at home so not much. rarely if ever drink when out these days.

I would hate to spend a lot on beer, the money i've wasted over the years! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

How many times a week do you drink:1-2
    What do you spend on drink:€40

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

College: yes
    How many times a week: 0

Tis a lonely existence being a non-drinker in a class full of dipsos

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

How many times a week: 2

I usually do the pubs every couple of Saturdays, will spend in the region of 50-70euro.
    On Fridays I drink cans, I usually buy in bulk and keep slabs in the garage and stock up on them when I need to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

I'm out of college...

If I was looking for information for college I'd at least do a survey:p

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

How many times a week do you drink: 3 at the most
    What do you spend on drink: I spend about €10 on a carry out and don't normally buy drinks at bars/clubs
    What do you spend on taxi/food: Depends where I go. I live close to good student places so I walk instead of taxis most of the time, and I never get food after nights out. If I do get a taxi it wouldn't be more than about €8

When I was at home, I was spending about €50-€60 on one night out. €15 on taxi, €10 entry price and the rest on drinks. I only went out like once a week at home though. So basically I'm spending less on 3 nights out at college in a week than 1 night out at home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Honest opinion

I gave up drink when I went travelling and realised other countries don't really drink like us... the only countries I've been to who are similar are the UK, Poland, Russia and Mongolia... and all of those places have a serious problem with alcohol.

It feels great being booze free. No more hangovers, way more energy and motivation, more money, better diet, slimmer, etc.

I don't do moderation very well so I'd rather give up altogether than hope I can stop after pint number two...

Yeh man this one time on my yah?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKFjWR7X5dU

Advertisement