Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filling in holes/ cracks in plasterboard walls

• 24-10-2012 7:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm about to repaint a lot of walls in the house but have noticed quite a lot of cracks in the plasterboard. What should I use to fill these before I paint? Also, there are some holes where the screws are located and the previous 'filler' has dropped out in the plasterboard. Should I use polyfilla on these?
    Thank you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Yeah usually when i have to do that i use a tub of Pfiller if it is only minor holes and cracks, when putting on the filler wet the filler a bit so it goes on easier and let the filler set and sand it down then bobs your uncle your done until the paint is ready to go on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13 HomeRepair.ie

Be sure to rake out the crack with a filling knife. Cut of any jagged edges with a sharp trimming knife. Brush the crack with a dry brush to remove dust. Fill the crack with your filler. Scrape the escess of the blade, then draw it down the crack again to remove excess filler from the wall or celing.
    For deeper holes, build up the surface in layers, working from the edge. Wait about two hours for each layer to dry before applying the next. When the filler is completly dry, smooth it to the levil of the surrounding surface with medium or fine sand paper. Then paint the crack with a coat of paint before painting the rest of the surface.

Job Done;)

Advertisement