Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Considering a move to NZ, newly graduated mech engineer

• 24-10-2012 8:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

2 friends of mine are heading to NZ in the new year, one a structural eng. the other a mechanical, both have 1-2 years experience. I finished college in May and have been in China since June on a 6 month internship. Besides this experience I have some work with a small engineering comp for a couple of months and 3 months autocad in a university in france.
    I really want to go but I'm afraid that I don't have enough experience and won't get a relevant job. I don't want to end up working in a pub. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 keaneray

Hey nujeebaby,

My advice would be to give it a go. I having been working in Auckland the last three years. First as a CAD draughtsperson for a superyacht company and now a mechanical design engineer for a refrigeration company. Before these jobs my experience from back home was 18 months CAD designing in a shop fitting company. I graduated from DIT as a Manufacturing Eng back in '06.

Best thing before you come out is to update your CV with 'only relevant' info. Create a LinkedIn and start connecting to people and group in your field. Put together a portfolio either online or in hardcopy of work you have done. Try and showcase your skills and really sell yourself.

Check out seek.co.nz and trademe.co.nz for current roles on offer and maybe send out a few CV's and see what response you get. Also I would add that SolidWorks would be a good program to start. Most design jobs in OZ and NZ require SW. It's not difficult if you have experience in CAD and would open up a lot more opportunities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Well worth coming here on a working holiday visa and getting your CV in front of the right people. I wouldnt bother applying overseas as they get tons of CVs from India/china etc all the time, just get here, get yourself interviews and be well presented and ready to work. Have references available and show a desire to settle long term in New Zealand. Even if you have no intention of staying longer then a year, convince them you're here for good and give them a reason to hire you.

You've got nothing to lose and even if you end up working in a bar for a while at least you're not sitting on your hole back home thinking "what if". Christchurch, Auckland, New Plymouth and Wellington all could have jobs for you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I went to NZ in 2006 just after finishing my degree. The only engineering experience I'd had was on a 8 month Co-op placement. I still managed to get an engineering job doing CAD work in Wellington. If I'd wanted to base myself in Wellington for the year I would have been able to get a job with a company there for the year too but I'd planned to go to Christchurch after 6 months. Even in Christchurch I was in a very good position to pick up an engineering job, again doing CAD work, but I was too keen on travelling so didn't commit to it.

Have a look through Seek.co.nz and Trademe.co.nz now and see if there are any listings that would suit. Also keep in mind the none of the jobs I interviewed for where actually advertised.

Also download a copy of Draftsight (a free 2D CAD program) and give your CAD skills a bit of a workout before you go, if you do go that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 nujeebaby

Well lads,
    thanks for the advice, it has been seriously helpful in making the decision to just go for it and see what happens. and sure I'm young and have nothing to lose

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

nujeebaby wrote: »
    Well lads,
    thanks for the advice, it has been seriously helpful in making the decision to just go for it and see what happens. and sure I'm young and have nothing to lose

I'd really recommend getting your drafting skills up to date again before you go. That should help you when you get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,525 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

All consultancies in new plymouth are still crying out for engineers of all types (mainly process and chem though)
    Seemingly some aussie co has just moved here and are paying aussie rates to get staff into the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 cullend2

I'm in the same boat as you, finished my mech engineering degree in June, and now I'm over in Christchurch. I came with even less experience than you! My girlfriend, a civil engineer, and I had work here within 2 weeks, and in relevant fields. For the last couple of months I've been working as a design engineer with a company that manufacture agricultural produce processing equipment.

Recruitment agencies seem to be far far more useful here than they are at home, so I'd advise you to talk to them. Though watch out, they seem to get in a bit of a strop if they find you've been talking to other recruiters...

The only problem you might have is that the summer holidays have just started here, so there are lots of graduates and final year students are applying to everywhere. Your experience should give you an edge though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 smurphy103

Hi Cullend2,
    Are the job prospects still the same in NZ? I'm applying in Australia but not getting any interest or interviews yet. I suppose I have only been looking for the last two weeks though.

Advertisement