Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to eat in Kazakhstan?

Options
  • 24-10-2012 9:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've been in Kazakhstan for 2 weeks now and am really struggling with the food. Its the worst I've experienced in my life. The food in the hotel is disgusting and I simply cannot eat it.

I'm 250km from the next big city so shopping for groceries is not an option neither.

I can buy bread (no butter) cheese slices, tomatos, water. So Thats what I'm living on mostly. I'll have veg soup in the canteen at work eveyday. Its ok.

Anyone any advice on what I should do to sustain life for another couple of weeks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A mate of mine has worked extensively in Kazakhstan & by all accounts the food everywhere is just crap to the Western European palate. I think that you'll just have to tough it out unfortunately. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

See if you can get Plov. I ate it a lot in Uzbekisan. They might have it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭trodsky

Plov? Sounds lovely....

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Drake66

trodsky wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've been in Kazakhstan for 2 weeks now and am really struggling with the food. Its the worst I've experienced in my life. The food in the hotel is disgusting and I simply cannot eat it.

I'm 250km from the next big city so shopping for groceries is not an option neither.

I can buy bread (no butter) cheese slices, tomatos, water. So Thats what I'm living on mostly. I'll have veg soup in the canteen at work eveyday. Its ok.

Anyone any advice on what I should do to sustain life for another couple of weeks?

No markets around? A friend of my mine was over in Kazakhstan for a week for the Ireland game and he said he ate like a king. He spent most of his time in Astana though.

Actually, if you can find Piroskyi they are usually ok. Mashed spuds in pastry, sometimes with cheese/onions/mushrooms/pork.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 eddiethornton

Just back from there myself. God it's an awful place.

Chinese looking, Russian speaking Muslims. Does it get any worse?

What's the story with all the beet root? They eat it with everything

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

^^^
    Beetroot is possibly a staple in their diet.

I just don't know how to react to the rest of your post, so I'd better zip my mouth and tie my hands to my back.

Just back from there myself. God it's an awful place.

Chinese looking, Russian speaking Muslims. Does it get any worse?

What's the story with all the beet root? They eat it with everything

Unbelievable ignorance. I can see travel has really broadened your mind.

@eddiethornton - Racist comments are unacceptable on this forum & the site in general. Do it again & I will remove your access permanently.

@stephen1381 - If you have a problem with a post, then use the Report Post function & let a moderator deal with it.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

trodsky wrote: »
    Plov? Sounds lovely....

It is very lovely. Especially after a few vodkas. Here's a link to a fairly legit recipe.
    http://fxcuisine.com/Default.asp?Display=97

• Advertisement
Advertisement