Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before first shoes?

Options
  • 24-10-2012 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi all,

My little girl is walking completely unaided now with 2 weeks. All around the house flying around! She had been walking holding on to furniture, walking a few steps before falling roughly 4-6 weeks before that.

I have heard that it is now recommended you wait 4-6 weeks after they are walking unaided to get shoes. Is this right? Is this what you all do?

On my last baby i got her shoes very quickly, probably after 1-2 weeks of walking but that was a few years ago now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

We were told 6 weeks after walking unaided too...
    Kinda hard though when it's coming into winter and they want to walk outside :rolleyes:
    My little man is just about walking now but not quite unaided yet... reckon his first walking shoes will be for Christmas at this rate!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭newmammy2011

I brought my 2 boys to get their 1st shoes about 3 weeks ago.
    One had been walking unaided about 6 weeks, but the other 2-3 weeks.
    They never mentioned 6 weeks in the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

6 weeks is the recommended time to give the feet time to adjust. and it's not recommended to leave the shoes on all the time either.. the longer they are without them the better for their feet.. I use the pre-walkers at the moment, O is walking about 5 weeks now ..i'll probably wait another 3 weeks for shoes.. did with the others 3 aswell ;) Any good trained shoe shop will you good advice;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

We were told 6 weeks after she started walking too, so i explained thats all well and good but she was wanting to go walkabouts outside, so they gave me the pre walkers to protect her feet from the hard ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We got prewalkers at the start, and let her go barefoot as long as we could. Only stuck the shoes on for outside. It was 6 weeks after first steps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

What are pre walkers?? Why would your baby need shows if they are not walking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Hey HobbitFeet. Prewalkers are just a tiny step up from socks. So before they walk, they often 'cruise' for a good while. This is when they stand up and hold onto the walls or furniture and move around that way until they get their balance.

The prewalkers are handy at that stage, because they stand up outside, where the ground is wet or stoney. Also on tiled/wooden/lino/laminate floors indoors, where things can be a bit too slippy for them in plain socks. Prewalkers have a tiny bit of grip on the bottom of them so they can get around and gain a bit of confidence if there are parts of your house that are not fully carpetted.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

pwurple wrote: »
    Hey HobbitFeet. Prewalkers are just a tiny step up from socks. So before they walk, they often 'cruise' for a good while. This is when they stand up and hold onto the walls or furniture and move around that way until they get their balance.

The prewalkers are handy at that stage, because they stand up outside, where the ground is wet or stoney. Also on tiled/wooden/lino/laminate floors indoors, where things can be a bit too slippy for them in plain socks. Prewalkers have a tiny bit of grip on the bottom of them so they can get around and gain a bit of confidence if there are parts of your house that are not fully carpetted.

Ooh I must get some of those. Our apartment is tiled everywhere and now that A is pulling herself up and starting to cruise I'm terrified of her slipping and banging her face on something hard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Xdancer wrote: »
    Ooh I must get some of those. Our apartment is tiled everywhere and now that A is pulling herself up and starting to cruise I'm terrified of her slipping and banging her face on something hard!

if she is staying indoors you can also get socks with grips, for tiled floors...etc

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

hoodwinked wrote: »

if she is staying indoors you can also get socks with grips, for tiled floors...etc

Yeah, I have some of those but we have had a few near misses with them. We have been able to leave her barefoot until recently but it's getting colder here now and cold tiles are not pleasant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement