Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HD PVR or nothing ?

• 24-10-2012 10:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭

The young fella is looking for a capture card to record xbox gameplays and upload to youtube, been having a nosey around and the consensus seem to be that the HD PVR is the thing to buy, but it is a bit on the pricey side for what I was hoping to pay.

So my question is am I better off just buying one of these or would the cheaper alternatives be good enough, I was thinking of maybe the Roxio ?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Honestly, how clever is your young fella? :D

The Roxio apparently works fine BUT it doesn't record in HD. It also apparently requires a bit more oomph from the recording computer than the HD PVR. I get the general feeling from what I've read the roxio is all around not quite as user friendly as the PVR, too.

So if you don't mind that or he won't realise, I'd say sure, go ahead and get the roxio.

If it's a Christmas thing though, I'd think there's a chance the HD PVR will take a price cut soon as its successor, the HDPVR2 is already out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Honestly, how clever is your young fella? :D

If it's a Christmas thing though, I'd think there's a chance the HD PVR will take a price cut soon as its successor, the HDPVR2 is already out.

That is a very good question!!! I wish someone could answer it though!!:D

https://www.roxio.com/eng/products/game-capture/default.html

Was looking at the Roxio page above, but I think the HD PVR might be the one to go for, he wanted it for his birthday, but I told him he can buy whatever one he wants out of the money he gets for birthday presents!!

Thanks for the response!!

eamonnq wrote: »
    That is a very good question!!! I wish someone could answer it though!!:D

https://www.roxio.com/eng/products/game-capture/default.html

Was looking at the Roxio page above, but I think the HD PVR might be the one to go for, he wanted it for his birthday, but I told him he can buy whatever one he wants out of the money he gets for birthday presents!!

Thanks for the response!!

Oh, the new pro version looks like it can do HD... that might be an alternative (I thought you meant the older, cheaper version).

I can tell you the hauppage was my stalwart recording device for 2 years, got taken all around Ireland and never once let me down. I've had more trouble with other devices in the few short months I've used them than it ever did.

Might see if I can pick one up on adverts, seem to be a few on there. I take it that it does not have to be the gaming edition in order to do what he wants to do ?

Thanks again

eamonnq wrote: »
    Might see if I can pick one up on adverts, seem to be a few on there. I take it that it does not have to be the gaming edition in order to do what he wants to do ?

Thanks again

Nope, only difference is the gaming edition just came with the cables required (you may also need to pick up an xbox or ps3 to component cable in that case to make it work but they're not expensive).

• Advertisement

Think I can get my hands on the lead if necessary, thanks again!!

Now off to adverts to see can I haggle!!

Advertisement