Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cork fishing

Options
  • 24-10-2012 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I have recently moved down to cork and im big into sea fishing ... im wondering if anyone would be interested on going on shore outings ? i dont know the area around here but i live near monkstown is that any good ?

any areas to fish or not to fish ?

bait ? lugworm , crab , mackeral, sandeel , squid ?

anyone fished this area before ?

hoping to catch a good few codling over the winter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

mecrazy3 wrote: »
    I have recently moved down to cork and im big into sea fishing ... im wondering if anyone would be interested on going on shore outings ? i dont know the area around here but i live near monkstown is that any good ?

any areas to fish or not to fish ?

bait ? lugworm , crab , mackeral, sandeel , squid ?

anyone fished this area before ?

hoping to catch a good few codling over the winter

Give it time and you'll see plenty of people fishing off "the wall" in monkstown for the Cod/codling. I've always found best bait is crab, lug/razor work aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

ya the wall will be full once winter comes...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mecrazy3

ok brillliant any other spots ? recommended i dont mind travelling at all i have a car any place near by too dig lug worm ?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭realrebel

ok brillliant any other spots ? recommended i dont mind travelling at all i have a car any place near by too dig lug worm ?

You are right in the centre of cod fishing in cork so you are handy for there
    U could try around the navy base just before you come to it there are two bridges which can be good for bass
    Plenty of pollock down around crosshaven way
    What fish are u looking to catch
    I think sandycove in kinsale would be the nearest spot for lug but I could be wrong

ya sweet im going have a go during next week if tides are right .... ill just dig lugworm near my hometown in dungarvan ... and let ye know how i get on ...

species wise id like to catch anything ......

• Advertisement

ya sweet im going have a go during next week if tides are right .... ill just dig lugworm near my hometown in dungarvan ... and let ye know how i get on ...

species wise id like to catch anything ......

If your fishing monkstown crab is the best bait by a mile
    You could catch cod,coal fish, whiting, flounder, dogfish, congers and the odd bass all in monkstown off the wall
    It's the cod everyone fishes for and some big ones too

havent realy fished with crab before iv always trusted in lugworm with a secret recipe i see shops sell frozen crabs they any good ? i know you use baiting twine for it .........

havent realy fished with crab before iv always trusted in lugworm with a secret recipe i see shops sell frozen crabs they any good ? i know you use baiting twine for it .........

crab is the best by a mile it out fishes everything to be honest especialy for the cod down monkstown
    they also sell live crab but frozen is grand too when live isnt available
    when im going down i will give you a shout and shown you the spots to fish around monkstown

ya that would be nice ... i literaly live in passage just drop me a p/m i enjoy just watching people fish aswell ... but im going to the parents collecting my fishing stuff and ordering few things online to prep my self for some cold nights!!

haha ya it will be cold down there at night alright but the fishing can be brillant, was talking to someone there and they said no cod there at the min only small whiting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

Fished it last night,Nothing been caught at the moment.There was 6 lads in total.I didn't see anything been landed.I had a pin whiting and a star fish but I don't think he counts :)

ah the only time i didnt fish it was last night had few small whiting about 6 of them the day befor 2 codling under a 1lb and day before the same aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

ah the only time i didnt fish it was last night had few small whiting about 6 of them the day befor 2 codling under a 1lb and day before the same aswell

I enjoy that type of fishing. When there's no big cod around the car park below the wall can be great craic at night. Light gear and you're pulling in small codling all evening. There's no need to waste crab on the either as they'll take mackerel strip or sandell too at that size.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭squidly

SeaFields wrote: »
    I enjoy that type of fishing. When there's no big cod around the car park below the wall can be great craic at night. Light gear and you're pulling in small codling all evening. There's no need to waste crab on the either as they'll take mackerel strip or sandell too at that size.

hey seafields...what type of rig/set up/weights would you recommend up there with a light gear set up?
    id be fishing with a light spinning rod i use for pollack/macks,was thinking of trying a paternoster rig and weight attached rotten bottom.ive read its very
    snaggy around there.

mecrazy3-sorry dont mean to thread jack!been thinking of trying some winter sea fishing for a while,and monkstown etc

its no problem all advise around here is great :)

squidly wrote: »
    hwhat type of rig/set up/weights would you recommend up there with a light gear set up?
    id be fishing with a light spinning rod i use for pollack/macks,was thinking of trying a paternoster rig and weight attached rotten bottom.ive read its very
    snaggy around there.

I use a running ledger basically because I'm a lazy bastard and that's all i ever use while sea fishing. :D If the whiting are there in big numbers I'll use a paternoster rig. 2oz lead and if the tide is in less than 30-40 yards out will have the tip of the rod going all evening and you can sit on the bonnet of the car while dragging them in. :D

Its not too snaggy in the car park. There is a rope of something submerged as your in the car park in the direct of the pier. Directly behind the toilet as such. If you cast away from that its clear enough ground. I wouldn't bother with a rotten bottom.

The wall is very snaggy, more so when the tide is out as there is less water to draw your rig over the snags. I've fished in a lot worse tho.

I use a running ledger basically because I'm a lazy bastard and that's all i ever use while sea fishing. :D If the whiting are there in big numbers I'll use a paternoster rig. 2oz lead and if the tide is in less than 30-40 yards out will have the tip of the rod going all evening and you can sit on the bonnet of the car while dragging them in. :D

Its not too snaggy in the car park. There is a rope of something submerged as your in the car park in the direct of the pier. Directly behind the toilet as such. If you cast away from that its clear enough ground. I wouldn't bother with a rotten bottom.

The wall is very snaggy, more so when the tide is out as there is less water to draw your rig over the snags. I've fished in a lot worse tho.

thanks seafields..ill post up how i get on.

I fished down in monkstown last night in the car park above the pier,light spinning rod,basic running ledger,1 oz weight,small strips of mack using bait elastic,non stop bites and loads of activity every cast,but all pin whiting bar 1 pollack,still good craic though...:)

I fished down in monkstown last night in the car park above the pier,light spinning rod,basic running ledger,1 oz weight,small strips of mack using bait elastic,non stop bites and loads of activity every cast,but all pin whiting bar 1 pollack,still good craic though...:)

Great stuff. You will get codling there too once they are around. Nothing huge, up to a pound or two maybe but on mackerel strip too.

Yeah its a grand way to pass away the evening and you're kept going the whole time. Its very exciting if you have kids with you. My nephew was delighted with it one evening last year. Just wrap them up well and away they go :)

Great stuff. You will get codling there too once they are around. Nothing huge, up to a pound or two maybe but on mackerel strip too.

Yeah its a grand way to pass away the evening and you're kept going the whole time. Its very exciting if you have kids with you. My nephew was delighted with it one evening last year. Just wrap them up well and away they go :)
    I never thought of doing this.Ill set my young fella like this and I can fish away and he wont get board.Do you fish it tight to the bottom with just short casts ?

• Advertisement

damagegt wrote: »
    I never thought of doing this.Ill set my young fella like this and I can fish away and he wont get board.Do you fish it tight to the bottom with just short casts ?

Yeah, 1-2oz lead on a light rod. If the tide is in you can literally drop it straight down but I'd usually cat 20-30 yard out.

The only thing about fishing yourself is that the channel is further out from the car park than from the wall if that makes sense. While you can get to it with a distance cast from the wall, its probably out of range from the car park. But obviously distance casting from the car park should still get you results.

Yeah, 1-2oz lead on a light rod. If the tide is in you can literally drop it straight down but I'd usually cat 20-30 yard out.

The only thing about fishing yourself is that the channel is further out from the car park than from the wall if that makes sense. While you can get to it with a distance cast from the wall, its probably out of range from the car park. But obviously distance casting from the car park should still get you results.
    I fish the wall quite a bit during the winter but you know yourself, the small fella can get a bit bored if nothings going on.I can do a bit of LRF if im not hitting the channel.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Would ya find though that just a light weight will just get swept down with the current, and not find bottom ?

syboit wrote: »
    Would ya find though that just a light weight will just get swept down with the current, and not find bottom ?

No because you are out of the very strong tidal pull there.

fished near the pier a couple of evenings last wk,just a few pin whiting.there was a way more annoying crab activity though,presumably because the temp have risen again lately?

was looking at this today,might be of interest...
    http://fishinginireland.info/news/sea-reports/cork-cod-start-to-show/

fished near the pier a couple of evenings last wk,just a few pin whiting.there was a way more annoying crab activity though,presumably because the temp have risen again lately?

was looking at this today,might be of interest...
    http://fishinginireland.info/news/sea-reports/cork-cod-start-to-show/

Good news alright. We probably need the rain to stop tho as there will be loads of fresh water in the harbour if it doesnt.

Looking at the article I wonder would using those jellyworm rigs work from the shore? Should be able to get distance with the lighter, more stremlined setup

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

you would struggle to hit the channels with jellies and probably only catch smaller fish if they could get their mouths around the hook. always the chance of a stray biggie coming close in tho. theres a few places in youghal where i think they could work as a 30/40yard cast will have you right in the middle of the channel. plenty of rock marks too in cork that will hold cod that the jellies would work but getting the suitable weather to fish them safely is the problem in winter.

.red. wrote: »
    you would struggle to hit the channels with jellies and probably only catch smaller fish if they could get their mouths around the hook. always the chance of a stray biggie coming close in tho. theres a few places in youghal where i think they could work as a 30/40yard cast will have you right in the middle of the channel. plenty of rock marks too in cork that will hold cod that the jellies would work but getting the suitable weather to fish them safely is the problem in winter.

I was only thinking about using jellies the last time I was down there
    I wonder if you had a worm on with a 5oz lead and leave it move along with the current or even a lighter weight would that work I wonder
    I can hit the Channel alright with a 5oz so I will give it a good try the next time I'm done

realrebel wrote: »
    I was only thinking about using jellies the last time I was down there
    I wonder if you had a worm on with a 5oz lead and leave it move along with the current or even a lighter weight would that work I wonder
    I can hit the Channel alright with a 5oz so I will give it a good try the next time I'm done

Do you mean as part of a baited up rig? That'd be interesting. Could you get someway of getting the work up off the bottom. A float of sometype.

Certainly if you had a beachcaster out and the tides allowed it (i mean if there isnt a massive drag that is going to snag everything) you could have a second rod going, the lighter spinning set up, and try jellyworms.

If anything it'd keep ya warm anyway :D

• Advertisement

Do you mean as part of a baited up rig? That'd be interesting. Could you get someway of getting the work up off the bottom. A float of sometype.

Certainly if you had a beachcaster out and the tides allowed it (i mean if there isnt a massive drag that is going to snag everything) you could have a second rod going, the lighter spinning set up, and try jellyworms.

If anything it'd keep ya warm anyway :D

Ya seafields like a baited rig set up maybe with just a lead rather than grip lead
    I have some deadly looking worms that have a very wriggly tail it will move in any bit of current I say
    I only have a few left so I will try one next day I'm down I can't see why they wouldn't work even if u lifted the rod to give it a bit more movement every now and then

Advertisement