Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cork fishing

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭squidly

anybody try the pier in ballycotton lately,any fish showing there?

fished whitebay near roches point this afternoon between 3-6:30,had fresh lug,frozen crab and mackeral,nothing doing,not even pin whiting,had a few bites with sudden hard knocks,but no go when ever i tried to strike..
    anyone else been out?anyone try monkstown lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭realrebel

squidly wrote: »
    fished whitebay near roches point this afternoon between 3-6:30,had fresh lug,frozen crab and mackeral,nothing doing,not even pin whiting,had a few bites with sudden hard knocks,but no go when ever i tried to strike..

The cod fishing so far has been dire nothing much has been caught in monkstown as of yet this year
    Hopefully they make appearance soon
    I did hear that trawler was up and down the channel so if they were there they aren't anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

On the IFI facebook page they had an article about cod being caught out the harbour from boats. They probably not to far away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

squidly wrote: »

if it was fish hitting your baits it could be your presentation that was stopping them from being hooked? what size hooks were you using and had you big/small baits?
    my advise would be stick to the beaches at garryvoe, only fish from dusk onwards and use size 2 hooks with crab, and lug and maybe sandeel. you should get at least 2 baits from the body of each crab and 3 or 4 if their big. peel the legs too and use them as i find them deadly. hook each leg and claw once and let them dangle for movement and ensure at least 3mm of the hook point is showing. that should land you a few fish, plenty of coalies about upto the low 40's so good sport to be had if the cod dont show.
    good luck.

• Advertisement

.red. wrote: »
    if it was fish hitting your baits it could be your presentation that was stopping them from being hooked? what size hooks were you using and had you big/small baits?
    my advise would be stick to the beaches at garryvoe, only fish from dusk onwards and use size 2 hooks with crab, and lug and maybe sandeel. you should get at least 2 baits from the body of each crab and 3 or 4 if their big. peel the legs too and use them as i find them deadly. hook each leg and claw once and let them dangle for movement and ensure at least 3mm of the hook point is showing. that should land you a few fish, plenty of coalies about upto the low 40's so good sport to be had if the cod dont show.
    good luck.

hey...meant to get back here sooner,i usually use size 1 or 2 hooks and make sure the point is exposed,was thinking maybe it was flounder plucking away at them? must try garryvoe soon,thanks for the info..

I fished the wall this morning between 8:30 to 1:00,high tide was about 11am,had about 25+ pin whiting,2 pin coley,a hermit crab,and a black diving bird that lucklily threw the hook before i got it in,nothing decent though,need to try it again at night next.
    pin were going mad for the mackeral,werent bothered with lug or crab

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

anybody that is new to angling or even just trying to become a better angler should consider joining a club. you will learn more in 30mins from talking to the top match lads than you will in weeks trawling thru websites. you will soon learn how to tie better traces and which ones to use on different types of venues, theres always someone to help out with any issues you are having with casting and the social side of it is good too if you usually fish alone and want a bit of craic every now and then on the beach. most clubs will have anglers new to the match scene every year so you wont feel like you are only fishing against top notch experienced lads.

it just so happens that my club is looking for new members(ha ha) for the start of our new season. we have lads of all levels from newbies right upto international anglers who were part of teams that got gold and bronze medals at world championship level.

anyone interested in joining let me know and i can pass on more info
    Denis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

i am going to try fishing in monkstown tomorrow, any advice would be great, i heard peeler crab is the bait to use.
    is there anything biting at the moment, i normally go out on a boat in knockadoon, which is the reason for my lack of knowledge.

Mod edit : moved your thread to here firestarter. some good info re monkstown.

i am going to try fishing in monkstown tomorrow, any advice would be great, i heard peeler crab is the bait to use.
    is there anything biting at the moment, i normally go out on a boat in knockadoon, which is the reason for my lack of knowledge.

Mod edit : moved your thread to here firestarter. some good info re monkstown.

fished there about two wks ago,had two decent enough whiting,but the rest was just loads of pin whiting,small codling etc.i was using fresh rag and mackeral.
    theres a good thread on sea angling ireland too,google:"sea angling ireland cork cod" should bring it up for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Well I gave it a try Thursday and only had nibbles, nothing was biting, a man fishing further up told me that I was fishing in front of a trawler net, anyone know if this is true, I did lose a good bit of tackle that day, I will try again next week and see what happens.
    I used crab and mackerel mix on a size 4 hook, maybe the hook size was my problem

• Advertisement

fished ballycotton pier last wednesday between 4-9pm,mack and fresh lug,plenty of small whiting and codling about,caught and threw back ten,nothing decent.anyone out lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mayborn

Hi Guys,
    a few of us (5) are going deepsea fishing tomorrow (21-07-2013) from Monkstown Pier. We are looking for 5 more people to fill the boat.
    The boat leaves at 10am from monkstown pier and back at 2.
    Cost will be 35 euro per person.

if anybody is interested please check out this event on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/events/658365444190977/
    or pm me.

Regards,
    Pratheesh

Advertisement