Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Northern Ireland Saorview reception reports:

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Not sure exactly what reception is like there but do you notice many 'RTE aerials' as aerial installers used to call them where you live? They will be vertically polarised and pointing in a totally different direction from those aimed at Divis. There should also be a red or green box on the pole near the said aerial to amplify the signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭spot555

Yep a handful of them do! Very interesting, never knew there were different aerials involved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Iderown

Spot555 - we are in Bangor. The signal from Clermont Carn is pretty consistent. There is an amplifier (15dB?) in the downfeed at the chimney. The lower horizontal aerial is aimed at Divis.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭spot555

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭NorthDown2

I lived in Bangor for a good number of years I know Digifriendly who lived there for a time. Even in analogue days, Rathmore Road area had good reception (despite Whitehead co-channel). I have been in houses in that area post switchover and can report the signal there is good. I was in Lord Warden's region of the town, had a scottish aerial (Cambret Hill - BBC Scotland / Border) which brought in faint images from CC. First aerial contractor who came just didn't want to know. Through recommendation, got someone from Belfast and had very stable CC with some co-channel visible from Whitehead. I think in LW region of Bangor, aerials point to the west of the big hill in Conlig which I suspect blocks a central region of the town from getting CC. Analogue CC was perfectly possible in Ballyholme area, if only in one of the higher points near the ring road (Beverly Hills/ Dorothy Ave).

So although there was cochannel in analogue days from Whitehead which caused problems if you lived closed to the sea, if you had any elevation and the line of sight to CC avoided Conlig Hill you always had a good chance of reception of CC

Last time I was past, there is still a house in LW that has three aerials!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 gsni

I recently put aerial up in Bangor, near Kilmaine Primary, was going about it the old fashioned way with diplexer and such but ended up going straight from the aerial to TV as results were better. Do get the odd glitch but nothing too serious. Aerial for Divis was installed but is no longer connected. All UK channels coming through too, only exception being very patchy reception of NVTV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Iderown

Well said, gsni

A problem was discovered with my first setup. See post 354.

The signals from the two aerials were passively added before being used. Herself here spotted dropout of the digits on SkyArts programme 11. (Probably on other programmes also.) That is on UHF 26H from Divis.

Both aerials seem to produce a decent signal on UHF 26H, but it is the weakest signal. The passive addition caused severe phase cancellation - and it is variable.

The group A aerial for Divis is now out of circuit. Really good, stable result with the one aerial, CD vertical, aimed at Clermont Carn, with mast amp. Even the result from NIMM on UHF 33H is fine.

Advertisement