Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Gym - corporate junket

Options
  • 24-10-2012 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there,

Long time reader...first time poster! Anyway the reason I was drawn to posting is that I was at a party at the weekend and I met a non UCD student who told me his father was a member of UCD Sport and Fitness Gym. Nothing out of the ordinary there! But...he then proceeds to tell me that his dad was brought to the Leinster V's Munster game a while back along with a load of other members courtesy of UCD!

It is quite possible that I am being lead up the garden path here by a non UCD student getting a dig in but if its true its astonishing. I cant get into the library on a Sunday due to cutbacks and my fees over the last 3 years have contributed to building a facility which allows the public greater access than I get...and is willing to lash out on a junket for its members:eek:

Can anyone shed some light on this?:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

room 6 wrote: »
    His father was a member of UCD Sport and Fitness Gym.

It could be possible that his father has some connection to Leinster or a corporation that holds Leinster season tickets. Both are not uncommon in the demographic of UCD. That or there could have been a syndicate for tickets given the size / meaning of the match in question (My guess it was a raffle / draw)

To my knowledge, UCD don't supply free tickets for members and it sounds fairly ludicrous that it was directly connected to UCD. Another point of note is his father is probably a full paying member, not a student and as such wouldn't fall under the same guise as student free usage etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Think UCD Sports and Fitness got a batch of free tickets for that game as a kind of goodwill gift because the Leinster rugby lads (based in UCD) like to use the pool every now and then. They have their own gym on campus but no pool.

Its actually one of the easier games of the season to get tickets for, its the only league game in the Aviva and rarely sells out.

EDIT Rarely was the wrong world, it has never sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Hi there,

It is quite possible that I am being lead up the garden path here by a non UCD student getting a dig in but if its true its astonishing. I cant get into the library on a Sunday due to cutbacks and my fees over the last 3 years have contributed to building a facility which allows the public greater access than I get...and is willing to lash out on a junket for its members:eek:

Exactly how do the public get greater access? They pay astronomical fees while we get it for piss cheap in comparison. This isn't some huge scandal either, Leinster gave tickets as a good will gesture. UCD gave these tickets to members paying large private fees, these members then rave to their friends about the benefits of joining an overpriced gym and UCD gets more members as a result increasing their revenue. Very smart idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Hi there,

Long time reader...first time poster! Anyway the reason I was drawn to posting is that I was at a party at the weekend and I met a non UCD student who told me his father was a member of UCD Sport and Fitness Gym. Nothing out of the ordinary there! But...he then proceeds to tell me that his dad was brought to the Leinster V's Munster game a while back along with a load of other members courtesy of UCD!

Can anyone shed some light on this?:mad:

As another poster mentioned, the Leinster Squad HQ is now in UCD, which I'd say would have a lot to do with it.

Advertisement