Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adobe Illustrator - tool for A-Z page build?

Options
  • 24-10-2012 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

I have recently started quick course in Adobe Illustrator. It is fun and relatively easy to use. I did start it initially to build a small site for a friend of mine. Nothing serious - up to 4 tabs, about, contact etc. no quotes or any database needed, just About Me page really.
    Question is - will I be able to do it from draft to final page with working tabs and basic tab animation? For some reason it seems to me the Illustrator is only for designing the page, not for making it work, am I wrong?
    Thank you kindly for your comments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭flanree

illustrator is for designing graphics only. It is not for building websites, you might try Adobe Dreamweaver or Adobe Fireworks instead for making sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭spr1nt3r

flanree wrote: »
    illustrator is for designing graphics only. It is not for building websites, you might try Adobe Dreamweaver or Adobe Fireworks instead for making sites.

That's quite disappointing. Will look into other too later tonight. Will need to get another course material so.. No wonder plenty of pages all over the World look average - it seems a pain to create it. You'd think few animated images for buttons, few links and we are up and running..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

You need to learn html and css. A site like that could be typed up in no time without any expensive software, just a text editor.

You need to learn html and css. A site like that could be typed up in no time without any expensive software, just a text editor.

Fair enough. I need it more fancy than functional and I can do that, but the code is the issue as I haven't learned it yet. Oh well.. will get there.
    Thanks a bunch for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 OctoberRain

spr1nt3r wrote: »
    Fair enough. I need it more fancy than functional and I can do that, but the code is the issue as I haven't learned it yet. Oh well.. will get there.
    Thanks a bunch for your help.
    You could easily simulate interaction and navigation by saving screenshots of the interface as jpg or png format importing them into powerpoint then use powerpoint to create links between the different pages with hotlinks connected to transparent button shapes.

• Advertisement

You could easily simulate interaction and navigation by saving screenshots of the interface as jpg or png format importing them into powerpoint then use powerpoint to create links between the different pages with hotlinks connected to transparent button shapes.

What?

What?

Sounds like poorman's solution to me. I will stick to Adobe Illustrator for graphics creation and will see where to go regarding the build. Maybe Adobe Fireworks is what I need. Haven't build any pages before so a bit confused hence the query here..

I haven't used it in years but Fireworks will let you draw up the navigation and generate the code for button states etc.

I still prefer pure html and css though, you'd be surprised what you can achieve without any graphic files.

I haven't used it in years but Fireworks will let you draw up the navigation and generate the code for button states etc.

I still prefer pure html and css though, you'd be surprised what you can achieve without any graphic files.

You might be right, its just that I can't be learning HTML or CSS just for this one build. Illustrator is handy enough for lots of uses since it is vector based. Fireworks should be easy enough just for once off use but HTML and CSS sounds like real pain, especially since I haven't done much programming part from basic HTML and C++ that was 10 years ago :rolleyes:

Advertisement