Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saorview boxes - the only difference is price

• 24-10-2012 12:57pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Apart from the Triax box all the Saorview Approved boxes are made by Vestel

They are essentially the same apart from the front bezel.

Price varies between €50 - €89 , and you know they are making a profit on the €50 box.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Is it really any different to how many computer monitors and tv's use Samsung panels but are a different brand name versus an actual Samsung tv or computer monitor :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Cabaal wrote: »
    Is it really any different to how many computer monitors and tv's use Samsung panels but are a different brand name versus an actual Samsung tv or computer monitor :)
    Very different.

These are so similar that most carry the 8010 number in their name.

Samsung don't make the cases, remotes, buttons, tuners, circuit boards, or power supplies. Two very different devices (NTSC TV / Laptop) could have the same Samsung panel.

Also different because there are very few manufacturers who've ever make panels in volume. Panels are commodities. The world and it's mother make satellite / DVB top boxes.

These all have the same remote controls and so far all I've seen are on v8.5 or v8.5a firmware. The only differences are packaging and price. Though in fairness the Nordmende has a blue LED. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81353604

Don't get me wrong the vestel clones are probably better than the Triax box and certainly better than a lot of the cheaper non-approved boxes.

It's the gauging that happens after they leave the factory.

And the morketing of them as if they had different capabilities.

Woodies are charging €79 for their clone

Walker
    FINLUX SAO634 STB T8010,
    Akura AVT8010,
    Laurus T8010,
    Digihome DI1180
    Bush
    Alba
    Nordmende

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Imagine a business wanting to make a profit have you ever heard the likes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

If you do your research and shop around you will be fine.

I think companies that charge high prices pay long term in sales.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you do your research and shop around you will be fine.

I think companies that charge high prices pay long term in sales.
    This is an excellent opportunity to identify the rip-off merchants because the products are virtually identical.

It would be interesting to plot the prices against time too

For own brands all of the markup is on the part of the retailers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It's the gauging that happens after they leave the factory.
    This is an excellent opportunity to identify the rip-off merchants because the products are virtually identical.
    You seem to be presuming that all the retailers will be able to buy at the same price.

I could be buying it cheaper from one retailer who is on higher margins than the retailer selling at the higher price.

rubadub wrote: »
    You seem to be presuming that all the retailers will be able to buy at the same price.
    True
    except that most of these are "own brand" where the retailer is also the distributor.

Also it doesn't matter if a distributor is ripping off a retailer because at the end of the day the boxes are virtually identical and it's all coming out of the consumers pocket.

And TBH if a retailer can't get identical kit for a similar price then they need to have a serious talk with their distributor.

Its a pity like this doesn't exist for Ireland.

Would give you a real overview of bargains/rip offs :D

http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Also it doesn't matter if a distributor is ripping off a retailer
    It does matter if people are screaming "ripoff" at some retailer when its really the manufacturer or distributor doing the real fleecing. Its like people saying publicans are greedy bastards since they can get a heineken bottle for 75cent, but many publicans are buying the same thing for €1.50 from distributors.

They are right to shout "expensive" if the retailer does not have the bulk buying power to get as good a deal from a distributor. But to me "rip off" implies a scam, immoral profiteering, or some other 'underhandedness'. Though I know most threads in this forum are pretty useless, turning it into a 'anti-bargain alerts' forum.

Your suggestion might show who gets good deals from distributors, I know where I work we have quite different prices for our resellers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

True
    except that most of these are "own brand" where the retailer is also the distributor.

Also it doesn't matter if a distributor is ripping off a retailer because at the end of the day the boxes are virtually identical and it's all coming out of the consumers pocket.

And TBH if a retailer can't get identical kit for a similar price then they need to have a serious talk with their distributor.

Wow you should be running the country with comments like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

That's not a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭countrynosebag

what i find the most is not only the difference in price but the difference in free or a whopping great delivery charge too
    also there is a problem as to whether delivery will be given at all
    retailers should note that people do not have big vans as a rule and also do not have big he-men muscles and so, cannot fetch items from stores themselves
    if retailers cannot/will not deliver to country places they do not make a sale and it is that simple

what i find the most is not only the difference in price but the difference in free or a whopping great delivery charge too
    also there is a problem as to whether delivery will be given at all
    retailers should note that people do not have big vans as a rule and also do not have big he-men muscles and so, cannot fetch items from stores themselves
    if retailers cannot/will not deliver to country places they do not make a sale and it is that simple

You buying some novelty size set top boxes .... fits fine in my car ....

Powercity deliver for a fiver
    (an post offer does too but they charge more for the identical receiver)

Tesco take the biscuit. Can anyone tell me the difference between their €50 Akura and €89 Larus approved boxes ?

Advertisement