Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC English - What single/comparative texts are you doing?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 RachelDJack

Single Text: Macbeth
    Comparative:The Great Gatsby by F.Scott Fitzgerald (novel)
    Casablanca (film)
    Translations by Brian Frial (play)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 MrCraigButler

Single Text : Macbeth

Sive, Im Not Scared , The Book Thief , anyone that does these 3 , message me and we can trade notes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 TheFlayedMan

Macbeth.

How Many Miles to Babylon, Home Before Night and Circle of Friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Glitt_123

is anyone doing 'Empire of The Sun' by JG Ballard?
    im doing this book along with 'Casablanca' and 'How many miles to Babylon?'
    im having great difficulties with 'Empire of the Sun', any help would be much appreciated.
    also can anyone tell me what 'theme and issue' exactly is i.e. do we have to write about one core theme or can we write about 3/4 different themes?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭CrashBandicoot Girl

I think it's one theme only, that's what we are doing anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 RachelDJack

Were just focusing in on one theme as well but going into great detail on it

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mossy95

Single:Macbeth
    Compartitive: Purple Hibscus,Sive,Children of men

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Glitt_123 wrote: »
    also can anyone tell me what 'theme and issue' exactly is i.e. do we have to write about one core theme or can we write about 3/4 different themes?

It's just 1 theme you should be doing in as much as possible detail.
    Like, we're doing the theme of greed for my three texts, which means I can talk about the greed of money, greed of power, blah blah blah for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Smiley Laura

Anyone else studying 'Translations' by Brian Friel? Can't find any notes on it anywhere! Doesn't seem to be a popular choice at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

we're doing Macbeth for single text, and I think we're doing Sive, I'm Not Scared and How Many Miles To Babylon? for comparative

I'm glad because the current sixth years did Wuthering Heights as part of the comparative and I really didn't want to do it :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Indiego

Im doing sive, how many miles to babylon, and I'm not scared, and Macbeth for single text :)

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

Comparative: Wuthering Heights, Im Not Scared and Translations

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Indiego wrote: »
    Im doing sive, how many miles to babylon, and I'm not scared, and Macbeth for single text :)

Exact same as me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Indiego

ray2012 wrote: »

Exact same as me. :)

it seems to be a fairly common combination :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

a0ifee wrote: »
    we're doing Macbeth for single text, and I think we're doing Sive, I'm Not Scared and How Many Miles To Babylon? for comparative

I'm glad because the current sixth years did Wuthering Heights as part of the comparative and I really didn't want to do it :P
    I'm not actually studying Wuthering Heights for the comparative but I thought I'd read it anyway. I've only got about half way through so far but I actually really like it, even if the style of writing is a little contorted and weird at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

I'm not actually studying Wuthering Heights for the comparative but I thought I'd read it anyway. I've only got about half way through so far but I actually really like it, even if the style of writing is a little contorted and weird at times.

it seemed like torture for my friend who was reading it..though I suppose a lot of people don't like when they have to to read a book!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 fionagotbored

Comparative: I'm Not Scared, Brooklyn and Sive

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

Single text: Macbeth

Comparative: Sive, My Sister's Keeper and The Constant Gardener.

Happy enough with our three I have to say:)

Advertisement