Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum 15th Nov

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

According to the ULSU Referendum website the university will be taking back the old SU building if this goes ahead. As the building was half paid for by students, not sure how we're being compensated here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

If that's the case, it looks like a straight swap: CSIS for SU building.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jackp1310

Polar Ice wrote: »
    Questions: (I'm not looking for hypothetical answers to Qs1-5)
    1. What happens to the existing ULSU facilities when the union moves to the new student centre if the referendum is passed? (This question has been asked twice by Chimaera already)
    2. The 3 items included in the referendum have been combined to make it easier to pass. Fair enough (I don't personally have an issue with it - it's just interesting to note). Construction of 3 developments is separate. When are each of the 3 developments due to be completed (what year)?
    3. Is the 'Dynamic music hub' to be a part of the student centre (i.e. ULSU run) or, will the University have direct use of it? How is its usage governed?
    4. There is commercial space planned on the ground floor of the student centre. Where would rental incomes from those premise go?
    5. The areas highlighted as 'subject to funding' in the student centre plans. What determines if those are built?
    6. Not a direct concern to students, but where does the CSIS department move to if the referendum is passed?
    7. The €20 operation levy once introduced has an infinite time frame targeted at or above the rate of inflation?
    8. This raffle of an iPod to those who vote. How do they check who has voted? Should they be able to check who voted? Does this raise privacy concerns?

From the facebook page:
    1. That is yet to be decided but we are hoping it will become the new home for Student Support Services.
    2. Robert Reidy the director of Buildings & Estates is giving a presentation on the development tomorrow in the Jean Monet theatre at 7pm. This will include the timeline for the project.
    3. This has still to be decided formally but the University shall have use of the venue, however Students and Student Events will have priority during normal term-time.
    4. The Students' Union expect the income from the Student Centre to be proportionate to the contribution made by Students. All of these details will be finalised through the Memorandum of Understanding which will be agreed once the project has the go ahead.
    5. Can you give us more details of the areas that you have identified as such?
    6. We don't know, but the University has indicated that the CSIS will be re-situated in due course. It is not a decision for students, it will be the Universities decision.
    7. The Operations Levy will be activated once the building is certified as 'Substantially Complete', and will cover the ongoing costs of the Facility.
    8. All Student Votes are confidential and not accessible by anyone. Voters will be redirected to an external site for the competition.

We hope this has successfully answered your queries folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Now looks like it has been pushed back a week owing to technical problems (SU facebook page)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Stephen_Byrne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Now looks like it has been pushed back a week owing to technical problems (SU facebook page)

aka its felt another week is needed to get enough people to vote...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Yeah, sounds a little convenient for it to be a last minute error.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

At the risk of sounding stupid on a public forum. It was not a convenient thing, there were real technical difficulties I can guarantee you. Take my word or leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

I will be voting a resounding NO to this. I wouldn't mind an increase of 150% but over 200% is a bit much in this day and age.

I will be voting a resounding NO to this. I wouldn't mind an increase of 150% but over 200% is a bit much in this day and age.

So approximately 35 euro a year is what is stopping you?

130 for first few years and then 150 after the student centre is built I believe. It is a tough time but I think if people want to, they can make it work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 jackp1310

How is it an increase of over 200%? You already pay €72 a year and this will increase to €130 which is an increase of €58

I think he just meant an increase of just over 100% given that after a few years it will increase once again to 150

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

So approximately 35 euro a year is what is stopping you?

130 for first few years and then 150 after the student centre is built I believe. It is a tough time but I think if people want to, they can make it work.
    Yeah, that's it really. I really don't feel I should be paying for something that I won't be using. Whether you agree or not, that's my opinion.

Thats fair enough. I would hope even in these times though more people have a sense of community to do it, just like our predecessors did before us. Standing on the shoulders of giants and all that.

I'm confused as to why ye're saying the relocation of CSIS isn't students' concern... surely if you're in CSIS it's a direct concern?

If I'm reading the report right, everything in CSIS now gets stripped out and rooms are repurposed. Given that so much money has been pumped into that building over the past few years (two labs that I know of fully kitted out with top of the range PC's over the summer) I'd be curious as to what's going to become of those resources.

I know it's selfish to only consider my own department, but given that currently the CS Building is a major selling point of the Uni in terms of facilities IMO, I'd be curious as to the plans to relocate.

Still undecided as to which way I'll vote... will hopefully make it to the Q+A tonight if I'm finished on time.

I would put it this way. The University are not going to give up one of their top facilities just like that. They will obviously develop a plan to have it relocated elsewhere. Thing is, they aren't even going to consider it until the referendum is passed I imagine. Time = Money. Might be able to get an answer this evening though.

Edit: Not selfish either, everyone has their reasons for pushing this (or not). In general I approve of all the projects, but my main driving force is that for the OPC and it's subsequent death if we don't get a new permanent climbing wall in the Arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    If I'm reading the report right, everything in CSIS now gets stripped out and rooms are repurposed. Given that so much money has been pumped into that building over the past few years (two labs that I know of fully kitted out with top of the range PC's over the summer) I'd be curious as to what's going to become of those resources.

The University will move all the equipment.
    The University would hardly be in favour of re-purposing the building if the didn't have plans.

They will have plans in place to cater for that. It's not really something that one needs to consider when voting for the referendum regardless of being a CSIS student or not.

The University will move all the equipment.
    The University would hardly be in favour of re-purposing the building if the didn't have plans.

They will have plans in place to cater for that. It's not really something that one needs to consider when voting for the referendum regardless of being a CSIS student or not.

I disagree that it's not worth considering. The removal of 10 (guesstimate) computer labs which are invariably packed during the day, with no concrete plans or obvious relocation site is as valid a concern as the "What will happen the current SU building?" question IMO.

I'm not saying it should be the main concern, but I know I'd certainly be more confident of which way I'd vote if these things at least had preliminary plans in place.

As an aside, are there any plans for TST or ULFM to record the Q+A session? Hoping I can make it but this project is kicking me atm so not sure if it's viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 28

I will be voting no I think the 130 euro is too much to be paying and then increasing to 150 euro plus if I am reading right it can increase by 2% per year after that. I do agree that the fields do need to be badly repaired. Remember coming here when I was a kid and they were in a terrible state and am coming here now as a student and they are still the same way the university should be ashamed of itself. With the fees going up by 250 euro a year over the next couple of year it just adds to the burden on students. Not all students in the college are on a grant they have to pay the fees themselves. The other side that you should be looking at is that 130 euro is roughly two weeks rent for most students around the college they somehow have to come up with that extra money. Look if this referendum was just about the gym and the sports field I would probably vote yes. But do not see the need to build a new student centre at this current time. That money could be put to better use in the college for I don't know the library that is also badly needed that is just my opinion on the matter.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I disagree that it's not worth considering. The removal of 10 (guesstimate) computer labs which are invariably packed during the day, with no concrete plans or obvious relocation site is as valid a concern as the "What will happen the current SU building?" question IMO.

We can rationally assume given the comments about some UL service moving into what would become the old students' union building that free space would become available elsewhere... If you're really concerned, that would be a question to ask the university.
    You also previously commented as though they were going to dispose of all the computer hardware which appeared quite extremest.

• Advertisement

We can rationally assume given the comments about some UL service moving into what would become the old students' union building that free space would become available elsewhere... If you're really concerned, that would be a question to ask the university.

Well yes, we could assume that the facilities will be relocated, but I'd prefer to know where and how they will be relocated. But I doubt there's a concrete answer out there to that question at this time.
    You also previously commented as though they were going to dispose of all the computer hardware which appeared quite extremest.

I assume you're referring to this:
    everything in CSIS now gets stripped out and rooms are repurposed.

in which case that's not how I intended it to be interpreted. I simply meant that they would no longer be in that building. Apologies if it was badly worded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

My best guess on where CSIS will go is over to the Tierney Building with Lero.

Chimaera wrote: »
    My best guess on where CSIS will go is over to the Tierney Building with Lero.

Yeah, was considering that myself. Only been in there twice so not sure how suited it is to house 10+ labs. Could work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I hope they throw it all in a skip, bag a few free macs :pac:

I hope they throw it all in a skip, bag a few free macs :pac:

Dibs on a few of the machines from 304b. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

28 wrote: »
    Look if this referendum was just about the gym and the sports field I would probably vote yes. But do not see the need to build a new student centre at this current time. That money could be put to better use in the college for I don't know the library that is also badly needed that is just my opinion on the matter.

A library extension is going to be built, there's a legal issue that I won't get into here holding it up.

Money to be used on this project ***for students*** is not available for other projects. It is my understanding that the donor wants to contribute to a student centre, similar to the donor for the President's Residence wanting to contribute to such a project meaning the money would not otherwise have been available to the University

• Registered Users Posts: 2 28

So what is the actual cost of the whole project if we were not to get any donation from a the donor??? Also since we are contributing to the cost to building the extension for the gym will any money be given back to the union from profits that may be mad if the college gets to hold international events for swimming or diving competitions???

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Stephen_Byrne

Link isn't working. (I know you've been having issues where people are connecting from places like the C&S office - I'm not on a shared computer or shared ip address that other people would be using to access this.)

the ulsureferendum.com site is also running a survey:
    http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/LS89ZN8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Is the new student centre needed. I can't see any reason for the size of it. I know space is a little tight in the current building but its not over flowing and its not causing any problems. I just don't see the reason for this.

Advertisement