Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum 15th Nov

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Ruan DMC wrote: »
    So who is calling the results!!!

I think we need a bookies here for this!

Anyone up for making an estimate??

Turnout - ??%
    Yes - ??%
    No - ??%

Polls published from ulsureferendum.com and iheartul.wordpress.com were both indicating that the yes vote would be in the low 60% range. (with a huge margin for error)

Turnout has exceeded 1800 already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

Delighted enough people have voted to make the vote valid, still 6 hours of campaigning to go too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 creepellai

It's a pity that people will vote no just by seeing that the levy will raise without reading into it. A lot of people I've talked to don't know why it's going up and when I tell tell them why, they change they're mind. So I just hope there's been enough YES campaigning done... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

Interestingly someone here just made a very valid point. I hope this isn't seen as scaremongering, it's not intended to be.

More than anything I'd like to hear if anyone could say this is possible or impossible....

Some in the No camp have said that the €72 will end if a No vote is successful. The discussion just now has been based on whether it definitely will. This is based around the fact that UL is the entity that gets the €72 in order to pay for the current mortgage.

There are many colleges which have student levies where it's impossible to see where the money goes (I'm aware that some people may not see where it goes here despite walking through the courtyard every day). Is there a mechanism through which this current levy can be stopped? Could UL continue to take this money in?

Like I said, please don't see this as scaremongering - I'd like to hear both sides of that particular debate.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Interestingly someone here just made a very valid point. I hope this isn't seen as scaremongering, it's not intended to be.

More than anything I'd like to hear if anyone could say this is possible or impossible....

Some in the No camp have said that the €72 will end if a No vote is successful. The discussion just now has been based on whether it definitely will. This is based around the fact that UL is the entity that gets the €72 in order to pay for the current mortgage.

There are many colleges which have student levies where it's impossible to see where the money goes (I'm aware that some people may not see where it goes here despite walking through the courtyard every day). Is there a mechanism through which this current levy can be stopped? Could UL continue to take this money in?

Like I said, please don't see this as scaremongering - I'd like to hear both sides of that particular debate.....

It's a curious question. Under the terms of the boathouse referendum, I believe the SU is due to stop collecting that levy soon as the mortgage is now paid on that building.

The University is collecting the levy on behalf of the SU in much the same way it collects the capitation fee on the SU's behalf. It's just simpler for students to be able to pay everything in one go at the fees office.

So I think it's a question of whether the Uni would have the balls to keep charging the levy when the SU no longer wishes to collect it.

I'm going to throw in another point here too: should the union now be demanding that the university allow fees to be paid in installments? The biggest argument against the referendum has been the increase, which is going to be added to a (more than likely) increased registration fee after next months' budget.

It would be fairer to allow the total fees to be paid in 2 or 3 installments to make life easier on students.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

Shame that next to nothing is known about what would happen CSIS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

Nockz wrote: »

have you asked buildings or csis about this?

CSIS will be rehoused somewhere - it's really another one of those things that nobody can answer until there is a decision on the referendum.

Chimaera wrote: »

So I think it's a question of whether the Uni would have the balls to keep charging the levy when the SU no longer wishes to collect it.

Surely there'd be uproar if this happened. I'm sure the SU could find something to spend the money on if the university continue to collect it (that is if there is a no vote).

I would hope that there would be uproar if that ends up being the case....

• Advertisement

Let's just really hope theres a Yes vote!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Nockz wrote: »

Heard a rumour that CSIS could be moved to the ERB, and the Engineering guys would move to Tierney.

But that's just wild speculation.

I was speaking to Adam on ULFM in the last hour, and he said that almost 2500 people had voted at that stage, which is brilliant.

Really fascinated to see the outcome of this, because there was a definite swell of No voters yesterday and today just from talking to people and my Facebook feed.

broke 3500 a few minutes ago apparently which is a new SU record

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

If this gets voted down and the current levy stays in place, there will be uproar. I dont know if there is any provision in place to ensure that can't happen?

bazkennedy wrote: »
    broke 3500 a few minutes ago apparently which is a new SU record

That's fantastic, you'd never know... we might hit the 4000 mark and have a higher turnout that than the Children's Referendum. :pac:

Surely people just wouldn't pay the €72? What justification could the college possibly give for demanding a levy that's expired?

Damn - just did something and wiped my post :(

I heard a similar rumour too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Most of Tierney is in use, is it not?

Knowing UL they'll probably build a new CSIS!

Well they've a planning application in for a building worth €50m that's going to be connected to the MSSI so there's still money around.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

voted no.

that student centre idea is crazy and ridiculous, and college is expensive enough as it is without adding more cost onto vulnerable families. bear in mind lots of other fees will be increasing as well over the next few years.

can't see 66% of people voting in favour of it tbh.

take out the student centre, set a new levy of 50 quid and fix maguires and arena. whoever came up with the student centre idea must have been born with a silver spoon hanging out of their arsehole.

Just got messaged on FB being asked how to vote. What's interesting is that guy has never shown any interest in anything else the SU has ever done...

The world and their mothers are voting it seems. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Over 4000 votes now which is a record. Amazing the difference between the turnout for this and the turnout for sabbat elections last year! When it comes to money students care...

I think it will be very close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Freyners, it's great to see that despite not having made use of the boathouse you see the benefits of it.

I would like to make the point though that every student pays for that facility and every student should feel that they should be able to use it.

If anyone feels they want to make use of the boathouse IMO there should be no (or at least only practical) barriers to that really. Of course, the clubs who have gear down there would aim to protect it so it's not like it could be opened up for a free for all but I know that the constituent clubs have never been so arrogant to presume that others have no right to make use of the facilities.

I wasn't complaining in case you think otherwise;), I know that the boathouse is open for those who want to use it within reason from my clubs experience.

More so I was making a point for those who are arguing the "whats in it for me" or, as i saw on FB, the money is being spent on "wolf cars and gymnasiums." You've benefited from facilities that were decided on and paid for by students who might no have seen the fruition of their decision, dont be selfish as to deny students in the future of the same opportunity.

Voted yes anyways, wasn't able to help in the campaigning as I had to go home. Surprised at the amount of pople for the turnout. 4009 i saw on FB recently
    Hopefully we will have a yes vote in the next few hours:D

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Stephen_Byrne

Just to let you know, Thomond Student Times will be at the announcement bringing you the result and the reaction. Feel free to come say hello if you're there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Just to let you know, Thomond Student Times will be at the announcement bringing you the result and the reaction. Feel free to come say hello if you're there.
    What time is it being announced? 9pm?

Can some post the results here ASAP once they're out?

Gonna be travelling home and don't want to use the Android FB app. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Another point no one has mentioned is how would a niteclub on campus fit in with UL's alcohol policy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Another point no one has mentioned is how would a niteclub on campus fit in with UL's alcohol policy?

Let's just say the current authorities see the folly of the policy in its current form.

ryanf1 wrote: »

alcohol policy rofl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Excellent.

Advertisement