Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulation Pricing

Options
  • 24-10-2012 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone buy any of the below recently want to let me know what they paid for it, don't need who from as I have local suppliers just want to see how the quotes I got compare.

Floors Metac 130mm 20 rolls
    Dividing Floors Acoustic Roll 150mm 15 rolls
    Studs Acoustic Roll 100mm 6 rolls
    Side Studs Metac 100mm 2 rolls
    Side Timber Walls Metac 100mm 2 rolls
    Rafters Metac 130mm 13 rolls
    Attic Metac 130mm 10 rolls

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

On any alternatives to the metac that offer similar performance are greatly welcomed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Metac is a brand name for mineral wool/ glass wool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Villain wrote: »
    Anyone buy any of the below recently want to let me know what they paid for it, don't need who from as I have local suppliers just want to see how the quotes I got compare.

Floors Metac 130mm 20 rolls
    Dividing Floors Acoustic Roll 150mm 15 rolls
    Studs Acoustic Roll 100mm 6 rolls
    Side Studs Metac 100mm 2 rolls
    Side Timber Walls Metac 100mm 2 rolls
    Rafters Metac 130mm 13 rolls
    Attic Metac 130mm 10 rolls

Cheers

Maybe you could state your prices first , for comparison.

Just a thought.

Sorry I meant Isover Metac.

My prices aren't as good as what you can find on online sites which is most confusing.

My prices
    are to be known only to you ?

Why not share them like you expect of others ?

• Advertisement

sinnerboy wrote: »
    are to be known only to you ?

Why not share them like you expect of others ?
    I was trying to avoid naming suppliers etc sinnerboy but ok.

<snip>

it is actually possible to provide prices without naming companies, try it, its not difficult

sydthebeat

How odd. I said nothing to prompt you to do that. Simply , now how did you put it ......
    let me know what they paid for it, don't need who from

Why should you be the only one to
    see how the quotes I got compare.

Well I have got several prices from several locations it would take me quite a while to list them all for different products from different locations. However the sites I mentioned show all these prices and as I say are cheaper than the Merchants I have got quotes from.

If you like I can try and post all the prices later but I was really just looking for people to say what are the best prices they got.

Well I have got several prices from several locations it would take me quite a while to list them all for different products from different locations.

Not rocket science for an IT whizz like yourself schedule this surely ?

• Advertisement

sinnerboy wrote: »
    Not rocket science for an IT whizz like yourself schedule this surely ?
    Ha the arrogance here is similar to what I got from the Isover rep:
    Isover Rep "where did you get these figures from"
    I calculated them
    Isover Rep "But how"
    Using a calculator
    Isover Rep "But how do you know how many rolls you need"
    Calculate M2 to be insulated divide by size of roll, its not rocket science
    Isover Rep "oh right, how do you know what product you need"
    I've calculated the U Values I need and what space is available
    Isover Rep "are you a builder"
    No
    Isover Rep "What do you work at"
    I.T., this stuff isn't that hard to work out
    Isover Rep "Umm ok"

Seriously this stuff isn't Rocket Science, and what I asked is even simpler what kind of prices are people paying for rolls of what I listed or similar.

I've sent a schedule to two more suppliers this morning, Isover seem to control the price for their product no matter where you buy it.

I can't beat the prices of online shops which are listed below now, not that they really matter as they as available online and I wanted to know what others were paying:

Acoustic Roll 150mm €32.84 inc Vat
    Acoustic Roll 100mm €33.76 inc Vat
    Metac 100mm €56.52 inc Vat
    Metac 130mm €66 inc Vat

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭manufan16

Your posts seem to generate good banter so I will give you the name of the product I used :-)

I found it less expensive than above brand with same u value - its called superglass

• Subscribers Posts: 41,645 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

as quilted insulation goes, metac is a better product in that it has a bbeter thermal conductivity value at 0.034 w/mk compared to most quilts which are around 0.044 w/mk. The other product named here is 0.04 w/mk.

so technically youd need more of that product to reach a similar u value.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    as quilted insulation goes, metac is a better product in that it has a bbeter thermal conductivity value at 0.034 w/mk compared to most quilts which are around 0.044 w/mk. The other product named here is 0.04 w/mk.

so technically youd need more of that product to reach a similar u value.
    Yup I'm well aware of that, the Acoustic insulation is only for between studs upstairs and dividing floors i.e. all heated space.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭manufan16

I cant remember the % cost difference between the various products but at the time it was significant enough for me to decide to lose the 0.01 w /mk of thermal conductivity

• Subscribers Posts: 41,645 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yup I'm well aware of that, the Acoustic insulation is only for between studs upstairs and dividing floors i.e. all heated space.

bully for you........ i was responding to the previous post by manufan16 which claimed to give "the same u value".

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭fealeranger

I had to buy this stuff 10 weeks ago and there are big diffirences between merchants:eek:. In the end after a 2 week battle with the reps and shop owners I knocked the price of my insulation and slabs from €8600 down to €7450:eek::confused:. If you have the time and the patience battle hard with them. The Metac was expensive €2200 for 50 rolls of 150mm(6inch) comprerssed. From what I'm hearing and reading it will be worth every cent;). Foil back slabs were expensive too. Kingspan insulation is gone up in price too lately due to oil being expensive, saw the notice in a merchants shop. Earthwool was my other choice. When you start looking at U values vs cost it is easy choose, like you say, It's not rocket science:rolleyes:;):D.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭jakko86

Your using rolls of insulation everywhere? How are you letting air circulate throughout the roof?

20mm gap to allow roof ventilate, in theory the manufactures of the metac type insulation say you let it up tight to the felt if its breathable but I'd rather a 20mm gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭fealeranger

As Villain has said make sure you have breathable felt outside the Metac. I chose to leave a gap between the felt and metac but the suppliers say it is not necessary. If the felt is not breathable you will have to use the vapour barrier inside the Metac.

• Advertisement

Is Metac u value as good as a 4" kingspan board insulation?

jakko86 wrote: »
    Is Metac u value as good as a 4" kingspan board insulation?

No.
    But they have different uses and properties so you shouldn't analysis the two on u-value alone

How do you mean?excuse my ignorance.

What is the situation

Rafters and attic space?

I'd go for the mineral wool.

Advertisement