Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car rentals Ireland

Options
  • 24-10-2012 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm doing an investigative project for college on car rentals in Ireland. Someone I know told me that they used an irish credit card to hire a car in Ireland but they thought it was a bit expensive so they used their partner's foreign credit card and it worked out cheaper so the car rental company was charging more to Irish people.

They also said that while they had the car someone dented it while it was parked and they had to fund the repair because car rental companies only insure you for damages up to 1,000. I was also told that these companies only deal with certain repair garages who start repairing things that don't need to be repaired so they can make more money.

I just wanted to know has anyone had any incidences of this because obviously one person is not enough to prove that something is going on. If so what company, what did they say etc.

ANY feedback at all would be great as this project is worth quite a high mark.

Thanks in advance (<SNIP>)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Surveys & Non-Media Research

• Registered Users Posts: 68,794 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Carhire firms definitively do NOT "only insure you for damages up to 1,000", and a parking incident would be less than 1k normally.

What most likely happened there was that they did not realise that there is an excess on (most) hire firms policies and they had to pay this, or the entire repair if under that limit. You are generally offered extra insurance that insurers the excess too, "super cover" or similar names, are used.

Yes, they would only use specific repairers as they are going to ensure the repairs are to their standard. This is perfectly normal. Its not like you can specify where a car that you've hit can get repaired, its the same for all "other people's cars" you damage.

As goes the pricing - go on to a few hire firms websites both for Ireland and abroad and check. I've never seen this but it is plausible - hire firms do sometimes have different rules for "local" hirers, or they may have been heavily marketing to the specific foreign country. Very few people on here will have any experience of both situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I hired cars quite a bit this year for work purposes. There is an excess on their insurance, i.e. 500 / 2k whichever they decide. It is nothing to so with them who damaged the car, just the car was damaged in your care is all that matters!

I had good enough experiences with the rentals but I stopped renting and bought something to a, save money, b, not have to worry about not having a car on particular days, c, 5 missed toll payments resulted in a stupid charge, they sent 5 letters in 1 envelope and charged 10 euro admin fee per toll, i.e. 5 tolls of 15 eur plus 50 euro admin, I was disgusted having spent a few grand with them in previous months and the cheek, they even sent them all in 1 envelope, at least when eflow charge extra to you they send each charge in a seperate envelope!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement