Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai/Council removing outdoor seating

Options
  • 24-10-2012 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭

Just saw the gardai and council officials put all the outdoor seating from La Salsa into the back of a truck. They're now doing it to The Spanish Arch Hotel.

I'm guessing they haven't paid some fee?

Comments

Could be related to this:
    Public Notice of Decision: Temporary Closing of Roads. Cross Street - 26th, 27th, 28th October 2012
    Or they may not have paid a fee to take up part of the street as you said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

My quality of life has improved exponentially since they removed that seating. F*** all this al fresco continental relaxed vibe muck, I want more pavement space for students to vomit and piss all over. Fine work by GCCC and the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The Galway Aboo Halloween Festival takes place in the medieval streets of Galway's Latin Quarter from Friday 26th to Sunday 28th of October 2012
    Probably connected to the Aboo but it's still only Wednesday and it seems using Gardai is just wasting resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Don't the restaurants and pubs need licenses and insurance for their outdoor furniture?

If it was down to Aboo they'd lift everyone's furniture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

F*** all this al fresco continental relaxed vibe muck, I want more pavement space for students to vomit and piss all over. Fine work by GCCC and the Gardai.

They have outside seating at 2 a.m. now? I must have been too buckled to ever notice...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Well one of the lads from the Spanish arch hotel was out asking what was going on and saved a few seats... they passed by most places that had seats out... so I'd say they hadn't paid their licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

They sent a flash mob out to remove all the sandwich/advertising boards from outside all the pubs and restaurants earlier in the year as well. This is probably something similar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

That's because they were on the footpath, deliberately restricting and obstructing a transportation throughfare.

Joe you should call the Council and ask them why they've removed them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

snubbleste wrote: »
    Joe you should call the Council and ask them why they've removed them.

Meh, only being nosey... don't care that much! :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Ah you do. Otherwise you would not have started this decorative thread. G'on phone them, they won't bite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

snubbleste wrote: »
    Ah you do. Otherwise you would not have started this decorative thread. G'on phone them, they won't bite.

Or answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

grab a chair I'll be with you in a minute gard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

J o e wrote: »
    Just saw the gardai and council officials put all the outdoor seating from La Salsa into the back of a truck. They're now doing it to The Spanish Arch Hotel.

I'm guessing they haven't paid some fee?

... ****in' great - takes two wings of the public service to join forces to try and put hard pressed private businesses out of business who are providing employment, all of whom in turn pay their taxes to pay for the bailiffs!!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

What the fsck does a outdoor seating license have to do with the Gardai?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Gardai would not want threatening behaviour from hostelries that were not paying their way and complying.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

Any chance sending these boys out to joe o'tooles place in tuam?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

All places involved have seating back outside, didnt last long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

As usual the City Council gets to be quoted anonymously in the local press:
    A spokesman for the City Council told the Galway City Tribune that the seizures were only made as a “last resort” after repeated letters of warning had been sent to the proprietors.

“The furniture was confiscated as the premises were in breach of Section 71 of the Roads Act and Section 254 of the Planning and Development Act. All four had received a final written warning on July 16 last,” said the City Council spokesman.

He added that the City Council also had a duty of fairness to the many establishments who annually applied for permission to utilise the area in front of their premises for an annual fee.

So it seems that the City Council, along with the Garda Siochana in this case, is willing to rigorously enforce the law when it sees fit.

The City Council, and AGS, do indeed have a "duty of fairness" towards the many compliant, and otherwise affected, citizens.

Pity they don't apply that ethic across all their law enforcement responsibilities. Perhaps the owners of the four offending premises were outside the definition of "decent people" though...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

"Cllr Padráig Conneely, the Chairman of the Council’s Recreation, Amenity and Cultural Committee." using the logic employed by this gentleman quoted in the article above, if I insure my car I shouldn't be expected to tax it as well.

"I paid ye the wan yoke, why are ye exshpetin' me to pay ye a second yoke? For fecksake isn't it all goin' inta the wan pot in anyways a mhaicin? Haw?"

• Advertisement
Advertisement