Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whitethorn Hedge Advice

Options
  • 24-10-2012 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭

Hi all

As the title says I'm looking for some advice on a whitethorn hedge that was planted last March.

As the time of planting I didn't do much with them, added a bit of fertilizer and that was it. I didn't cut them back then or anything.

Most have grown ok, some seem to have broken and are only bout 6-8" high. The ones that have grown well are now about 30" high, a good height but are not filling out. Some of them are falling over on themselves...too lanky.

I presume I need to cut these back to promote bushier growth?. Is now an ok time to do this and by how much should I cut back by? Is it literally just cut them in half?

Thanks in advance.

Bull

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭secman

Cut them right back now, to promote outward growth next year. Put plenty of mulch down before next spring to keep weeds down. Our 70 metre long hedge is now in its 5th year of growth. Has been cut back severely every autumn. Its now about 2.5 foot deep and about 2.5 foot high now. After cutting about 2foot off the height early autumn. All ready to take off again next spring. This summer it was above the height of the stock fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

better to prune mid winter. ensure that grass not leaning against plants as when the snow comes the weight of the snow on the grass can break the stems. simply stomp it down around the plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Thanks for the advice on the Whitethorn guys.

Just another question. I recently planted about 30m of laurel on one side of the house.
    On the other side I have about 65m to plant and I'm thinking of putting Laurel in here aswell. Main reason been its fast growing compared to Beech.

65m is a long stretch of just the one type of hedge though I think. Can I dot in something else. Is this advisable with Laurel?

Any tips appreciated.

Bull

Advertisement