Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Active learning methodologies

• 24-10-2012 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I have to present an active learning methodology in college but my mind's drawing a blank! :eek: can anyone give me ideas or samples that can help me come up with one? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

BamBam92 wrote: »
    I have to present an active learning methodology in college but my mind's drawing a blank! :eek: can anyone give me ideas or samples that can help me come up with one? :)

What Subject? or is it for any subject....

• Registered Users Posts: 18 BamBam92

I'm studying languages but any will do. it is supposed to be for a broad subject range so others can adapt it too

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

Paired conversations maybe. Student A and Student B. A has to speak to B for a minute on a topic and A takes notes or something like that.

Group work of any kind. The students categories verbs/objects etc.

Or they could do a short presentation on a topic and present back to the class. Give each student in the group a role, e.g reader, writer, reporter.

Students read a piece of text and think up of their own questions based on the text instead of doing the ones in the textbook etc.

Role plays are great active learning exercises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

BamBam92 wrote: »
    I'm studying languages but any will do. it is supposed to be for a broad subject range so others can adapt it too

Kids are back into the fresh prince of bel air these days again, for a lot of classes they ask to rap their lessons to it...

Now this is a story bout....

Drama is good too...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Everyday objects/pictures of stars/singers/places that one student has to do a twenty questions on with another student, or with the class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Armelodie wrote: »
    Kids are back into the fresh prince of bel air these days again, for a lot of classes they ask to rap their lessons to it...

Now this is a story bout....

Drama is good too...

This is a terrible video but its funny but it 'could' work. I couldn't see myself doing any rapping though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfXNrJeR0Xc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

I think the work we did with 20 primary schools last year would qualify as active learning? Certainly under one definition I've found - "students more actively engaged in their own learning while educators take a more guiding role". That's what MissionV is all about - actively engaging through 'game-based learning' (GBL). So I guess GBL is the methodology.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YWo93n3CdY

Advertisement