Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Monitor - Use as TV?

Options
  • 24-10-2012 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

Can I use a Dell Flat Panel Monitor as a tv? or what would I need to do? The only connections in it are the power cable and pc cable connections.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

The monitor has no tuner. You need a TV receiver in the computer. DVB-T mpeg 4 (saorview) or DVB-S (freesat).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Khannie wrote: »
    The monitor has no tuner. You need a TV receiver in the computer. DVB-T mpeg 4 (saorview) or DVB-S (freesat).

Thanks. can o buy one that plugs in the usb port or does it have to be installed internally?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

USB ones are fine. Certainly the DVB-T USB ones have worked fine for me in the past for the free to air digital channels (needs to support mpeg 4 / h.264 for saorview channels). You need software to play it back too of course.

DVB-S (satellite) needs 12V so the USB ones all have an external power supply.

Advertisement