Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The end of the deflectors

Options
  • 24-10-2012 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭

Seeing as the days that's in it , I just thought I'd start thread about the great service the TV deflectors gave us in Mayo for all these years.

We have had 'the English channels' since the early 90s and many neighbours have had them since the early 80s.

They were great back in the day when everything was on the BBC and UTV, no need for a sky sub.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

When I think of when we got "the channels" I always remember Blockbusters when I'd come from school.

"Can I have P please Bob....."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

For me it was trying to watch Babylon5 on Channel 4 as it dipped in and out of colour - oh the days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

It was a great service, taking the West out of One Channel land.

Great voluntary work for the community. Kept many of us sane and in touch with the outside world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

It wasn't unusual for notices in the local press giving out about the fact that people who used the service weren't paying for it, text used to be printed on the TV images asking people to pay up!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

It wasn't unusual for notices in the local press giving out about the fact that people who used the service weren't paying for it, text used to be printed on the TV images asking people to pay up!
    In fact, that's one of the key reasons the deflectors were turned off instead of going digital. It was technically feasible, and a licence would have been available for the asking, to implement a multiplex carrying the UK channels. If it had happened, it would have meant being able to watch a range of channels comparable to a very basic satellite or cable lineup through a Saorview TV or STB.

But people weren't prepared to pay for it, so it didn't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Yes, the deflector system definitely provided a much needed service to the area. Whats the story I wonder, with those masts still up on Farnaught Hill, just outside Westport? Any plans to remove them?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Yes, the deflector system definitely provided a much needed service to the area. Whats the story I wonder, with those masts still up on Farnaught Hill, just outside Westport? Any plans to remove them?

That bandwidth is been sold off so that will probably use the masts.
    News of who bought the bandwidth announced today.

They are owned or operated (east to west) by Eircom, Meteor, Vodafone and O2/H3G respectively, as well as various other non-mobile operators. They're all still very much in use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Interesting. I always thought that they belonged to Mayo Community TV for the TV service.

Interesting. I always thought that they belonged to Mayo Community TV for the TV service.
    The highest tower (O2's) had the TV transmitter antennas at the top of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

dont westnet have a mast up there?

We have equipment up there, yes. We don't own any of the masts.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

oscarBravo wrote: »
    We have equipment up there, yes. We don't own any of the masts.

Make sure ye give them Vodafone and O2 masts a kick when ye are up there!
    Claiming they will get 100-150mbps today on the radio.

yop wrote: »
    Make sure ye give them Vodafone and O2 masts a kick when ye are up there!
    Claiming they will get 100-150mbps today on the radio.
    They have a sense of humour, I'll give them that much. :)

Advertisement