Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MOT

Options
  • 24-10-2012 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I am just wondering if you have insurance for your campervan but you don't have a valid MOT / NCT are you still covered by the insurance in case of an accident?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭niloc1951

timtru wrote: »
    I am just wondering if you have insurance for your campervan but you don't have a valid MOT / NCT are you still covered by the insurance in case of an accident?

I believe not as the vehicle is not certified as roadworthy, but I recommend you ask your insurer as they will be the final arbiter in the unfortunate event of a claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

timtru wrote: »

I'd say defo NO ... Insurance companys hate paying out money so if you crash they'll look for any excuse, If you have no CRW/DOE your handing them an excuse on a plate.

Apart from that think about yourself/family driving in it and every other car you pass on the road, Is it worth it not to have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 timtru

thanks for your reply!
    found another thread here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056765797

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Once your insurance is paid up and valid they have to pay out 3rd party claims. If your motor home wasn't road legal they could use that as an excuse not to pay your claim and they can sue you to reclaim the cost of the 3rd party claims.

Insurance companies regularly pay out when people have broken the law and caused an RTI, there's no way of knowing when/if they'll stop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

I've said this before, the only time you can legally have an untested vehicle on the road, if it's at an age were it needs to have one, is if you are taking it for a BOOKED test.

So why should anyone expect to be covered by insurance otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Nobody has mentioned that using an uncertified vehicle exposes the driver/owner to prosecution under the Road Traffic Act with penalties of something like €2000 fine + some jail time + 5 penalty points.
    Non compliance with this piece of law is quite harshly dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Well, I have said that it's illegal but I must admit to not knowing what the penalties were.

Advertisement