Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unhappy Anniversary to the 'Big Flood'

Options
  • 24-10-2012 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭

Something I was working on today mentioned last October's infamous deluge and I copped it is the anniversary today.

In the spirit of an Historical Event / Chat thread, do you remember where you were? Were you badly affected? Did the rain rate shatter your gauge? Has the flood that day left a permanent mark?

Myself, I was on the M50 northbound and just made it past the dip close to Marlay Park before it succumbed to flood waters and was closed. Other than that, thankfully, it was an evening of jaw dropping internet watching, learning of the exceptional damage.

PS

I know a small number of lives were lost that day, its a hard day for the family and friends so I acknowledge and remember them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I remember seeing the charts a day or two before and being amazed at the amount of heavy rain being shown for such a long period of time, never seen anything like that before. Hopefully we won't see anything like it for a long time again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Was the real big flood not back in 2009 when thousands of acres were under water around Gort, Ballinasloe flooded, Lough Derg at an all time high? Lots of other flooding at the time as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

I was in citywest visiting friends heading back to life valley clarion. Up from the west supposed to bring the kids to the zoo but too wet. The junction at jobstown was closed and so used the sat nav and I managed to finally get back. Had to chance so many flooded roads and roundabouts I did think at one stage we would have to abandon the car and seek shelter. So glad to make it back safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I got home and my carpark flooded.... I remember knocking on doors to get other apartment owners to move their cars. We got all of them out except for one.

And a few weeks later I discovered that through some miracle, that car was actually incredibly well sealed so no water got it and it was actually floating. It started first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

Was the real big flood not back in 2009 when thousands of acres were under water around Gort, Ballinasloe flooded, Lough Derg at an all time high? Lots of other flooding at the time as well.

That doesnt count as it wasn't that bad in Dublin :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

stooge wrote: »

Here's a video that I - from Dublin - shot of the Shannon floods in 2009.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I remember trying to get home at night as usual. Came across the Dolphins' Barn flood, Kilmainham, Dundrum...anything with a slight incline basically.

I remember at lunchtime walking across Camden St and the torrent of water into the drains was incredible. I doubt I'll see that again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

stooge wrote: »

Or maybe the loss of life in the 2011 flood is being considered as serious, or maybe you're right and it's just those Dubliners out to get you again. And those from Wicklow.

Tbh, I find your use of the roll eyes pathetic in this context.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Su Campu wrote: »
    Here's a video that I - from Dublin - shot of the Shannon floods in 2009.

We're used to getting floods from the Shannon around Athlone but they were particularly bad in 2009. Many housing estates were completely under water. It was mental to drive down near them and see all the people who got completely screwed out of it.

Great video Su.

As a personal curiousity, what altitude do you fly at ?

As a personal curiousity, what altitude do you fly at ?

Flying down there was at 6,500 ft, but descended to 1,500 ft taking the shots.

• Advertisement

I remember both the 2009 and 2011 floods, and Dublin flooded both times.

I was on Civil Defence in Ballinasloe, remember getting home to get ready for an exercise, then driving in to find "nope, not an exercise". Spent the next 3 days sandbag filling, house patrolling, evacuating, it was a busy time.

A week later I was back in Dublin, another call after work. Was in Strawberry Beds delivering sandbags all night. I remember the truck I was on towing a minister's car out of the water!

In 2011, I was home after work, watching the tweets pour in (like the rain!). My uniform was there waiting for me to get the call, but it came at half 10, and by the time I'd gotten into the depot we had been stood down.

I will say the 2009 floods affected far, far more people than the 2011 ones in a lasting way. 2011's floods were property destroying for a village's population, with fatal consequences for one, and an inconvenience for a city. 2009's floods (the two together) were property destroying for a large town's population, fatal for none (thank God!) and inconveniencing for huge swathes of the country.

Two people died in the 2011 floods.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Timmyboy

I got home and my carpark flooded.... I remember knocking on doors to get other apartment owners to move their cars. We got all of them out except for one.

And a few weeks later I discovered that through some miracle, that car was actually incredibly well sealed so no water got it and it was actually floating. It started first time.

Hello Chris,
    You wouldn't mind anecdotally sharing here with us the make and model of that care please?
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Never forget it was due to fly out of faro at 7 am arrived at the airport at 5 am to find a tornado went thru it ripping the roof of it.
    Eventually flew out around 8 pm and after 2 failed attempts to land in Dublin was diverted to Shannon to sit for a couple of hours before arriving in Dublin 15 hours late

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Last year I was working from home that afternoon and remember reading about the floods here on Boards.ie while watching my garden turn into a mini swimming pool.
    I remember my wife wanted to go out to her dance lessons and I warned her that traffic might be bad. She ended up getting stuck in the nightmare of the Long Mile Road and couldn't even get to her lesson and ended up taking 2 hours to complete the 15min journey home.

However, nothing will beat sitting at an awards dinner 3 years ago listening to Eamonn Ryan wittering on about "how lovely the weather here in Ireland is... Sure it's only a bit of rain. We really do go overboard..."
    Meanwhile Cork was being submerged. A suitably ill-timed speech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Who could forget...

or the remix

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Remember in 2009 when i was in Dublin for the day and I was about to get my bus back to Galway for College, I had it booked online in advanced as its cheaper, As i was making my way back along the quays i got a call from go bus to say that there cancelling the last bus that i had booked and if i wanted to get the earlier bus,All due to the flooding around Balinasloe at the time. It was one of the most longest drives on a bus i have ever had,

We went Athlone to Balinasloe - Closed(The bus driver was thinking the road was flooded for cars and not buses), Then back to Athlone to head by Roscommon, Alot of the roads where flooded but just about passable, It was terrible but mother nature took its tool on me that day.

I was also caught up in the floods this time last year in Dublin,Couldn't get over the rain falling and swimming pool loads flying down upper Drumcondra down to Lower Drumcondra, If someone had a canoe the would have been sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

ronnie3585 wrote: »

Do see her around town now and again. Correction - you do hear her even if you dont see her ;)

Shes a really popular person everywhere she goes :)

Advertisement