Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting integrated graphics to TV in dual monitor/dual graphics setup.

Options
  • 24-10-2012 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭

The way I have my PC configured currently is that it's in the front room and is connected to an Asus monitor using DVI from a discrete graphics card as well as a flat screen television about 2 metres or so away, also connected to the graphics card ( Sapphire 6870) and both screens are operating as part a dual screen setup in extended desktop mode where the Asus monitor is the primary. Motherboard is an Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3 with the requisite video ports on the MoBo's connector panel.

The question I have is : Is it worthwhile to run the television off the integrated graphics (2500K) so as to reduce the load on the graphics card? I have tried doing so already and it does output and I did notice a reduction in temperatures on the GPU from 41 C to about 29 C and memory clocks idled properly so that's good but again I wonder if a reduction of 12 degrees is enough to switch. I was also having sound issues in outputting to the TV when running off the iGPU in as much as I wasn't getting any and didn't see anything in the playback devices either.

I read a suggestion that you ought to set the iGPU as the primary in the bios will fix this by making Windows load sound drivers for the iGPU HDMI out at startup but this leads to no video output whatsoever and a necessary CMOS button press. What setting is there within Windows that can be tweaked in order to get sound over the HDMI from the integrated graphics HDMI port or even to have the option there, or is this impossible?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

briany wrote: »
    The way I have my PC configured currently is that it's in the front room and is connected to an Asus monitor using DVI from a discrete graphics card as well as a flat screen television about 2 metres or so away, also connected to the graphics card ( Sapphire 6870) and both screens are operating as part a dual screen setup in extended desktop mode where the Asus monitor is the primary. Motherboard is an Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3 with the requisite video ports on the MoBo's connector panel.

The question I have is : Is it worthwhile to run the television off the integrated graphics (2500K) so as to reduce the load on the graphics card? I have tried doing so already and it does output and I did notice a reduction in temperatures on the GPU from 41 C to about 29 C and memory clocks idled properly so that's good but again I wonder if a reduction of 12 degrees is enough to switch. I was also having sound issues in outputting to the TV when running off the iGPU in as much as I wasn't getting any and didn't see anything in the playback devices either.

I read a suggestion that you ought to set the iGPU as the primary in the bios will fix this by making Windows load sound drivers for the iGPU HDMI out at startup but this leads to no video output whatsoever and a necessary CMOS button press. What setting is there within Windows that can be tweaked in order to get sound over the HDMI from the integrated graphics HDMI port or even to have the option there, or is this impossible?

By not putting load on the GPU you will then be putting load on the CPU... I'd say there would be much of a muchness between the two and GPUs don't tend to burn out these days (I think ATI and especially Nvidia have learned from their mistakes-one would hope :) ). Just stick with what works I'd say :)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭briany

yoyo wrote: »
    By not putting load on the GPU you will then be putting load on the CPU... I'd say there would be much of a muchness between the two and GPUs don't tend to burn out these days (I think ATI and especially Nvidia have learned from their mistakes-one would hope :) ). Just stick with what works I'd say :)

Nick

This is true but one thing about running off the iGPU is that it seems that it only outputs and is under the extra load when the TV is switched on, or rather when the second HDMI input is selected on the television's menu which is what the iGPU is connected to so there would be an extra load on CPU but it wouldn't be all the time whereas it is all the time with the discrete GPU. I suppose part of it is just wanting the slickest setup because I could easily turn off the extended setup when I don't want it. Also, part of it was wanting to be able to game and play a movie or something on the TV at the same time which is a bit choppy as it stands with both screens running off the 6870.

Advertisement