Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scones-making the night before

Options
  • 24-10-2012 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

I plan to make scones and bring into work. I leave for work at 6.30am so was thinking of mixing the nite before, leaving in fridge and putting in oven while I get myself ready.

Will this work? They just dont taste the same when they are left overnight, much nicer from oven

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

You could have the dry ingredients ready, butter mixed in etc but add liquid in morning. Will take longer but if you mix the lot tonight the raising agent will activate once wet and you they may not rise properly. This is the theory anyway, I have never done what you are suggesting so not sure how badly it would affect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

If you make the paste, cut out the scones and leave them wrapped in the fridge overnight, you can put them in a 220c oven straight from the fridge in the morning and they'll bake up fine. A bit of egg-wash and a sprinkling of demarara sugar and they're good to go.

Scones can bake mis-shapen due to various factors, one of these is that the butter isn't cold enough once it goes into the oven. So they'll be perfect from the fridge. And the leavening agent for scones is typically baking powder, so that's heat-activated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Dare I ask if you have a microwave in work? When I have home baked scones its hard to keep them any length of time but a day later the family would always pop them into the microwave for 20 seconds or so on low, just to warm them up, and then the butter melts on them. This works for a day or so but I agree, scones are always better straight out of the oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Thanks guys. Yep we have a microwave, but they still don't taste the same

They are fine for me, but if I'm bringing them in for workmates I want them to taste great!

I'll try doing them the night before, interesting point re mis shapen scones and the butter not cold enough. I hate when I buy a scone and it's completely mis shapen, it ruins it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've never liked scones on the second day. Lately I've been making rock cakes instead and they stay fresh for a couple of days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Stupid question but what's the difference?

I was buying a shop bought scone that didn't look fully cooked and was soft. I prefer them hard on the outside and soft on the inside. The shop had rock buns so got one instead. It was perfect

Are they made differently? I really don't like shop scones as they are too soft but the ones I make are lovely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Rock buns are a stickier dough and have a pinch of mixed spice in them. They taste quite different to scones and are crisp on the outside.They're also sprinkled with demerara sugar before baking which gives them a crunchy top. I find it better to break them rather than slice them before buttering because they're more crumbly than scones.
    This is the recipe I use - I've become addicted :)
    http://www.deliaonline.com/community/yourrecipes/baking/Rock-cakes.html

Advertisement