Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Laptop Battery Not Being Recognised

Options
  • 24-10-2012 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭

hi lads
    i just connected a new battery to my sony vaio laptop and get a message upon start up that said: 'battery is either not compatible with the laptop or isnt charged, click ok to put into hibernation and remove battery'

i ran the installation disc that came with the new battery and the box telling me to put it into hibernation is gone but the battery wont charge so i dont think it is beong rcognised

im running windows 7 home premium

any help greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Original Sony part or 3rd party replacement?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Installation disc for a battery :S . Doesn't sound right. Problem either is:
    • Dodgy Battery
    • Dodgy Charger
    • Dodgy Mobo
    If the charger is also third party it may not be supplying adequate voltage to charge the battery. Check the voltage input requirement on the sticker stuck on the laptop and adjust the third party charger accordingly if this is the case. The DC Jack may also have come loose from the motherboard slightly, or gone faulty

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

its identical to the original. i bought it in a laptop shop in arklow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Bring it back and get your money back then ! Most laptops today can recognise "fake" batteries and chargers. By the sounds of it this one is fake and the disc contains a workaround to fool the laptop.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 65,465 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

yoyo wrote: »
    Installation disc for a battery :S . Doesn't sound right.

It is right! The battery is not a genuine Sony battery.

In some Sony Vaio laptops:

1. Hardware checks if battery is genuine Sony. If not, it will not charge. The CD that came with the generic battery can overwrite the BIOS so this check is no longer performed

2. Software (windows) has an executable running that checks if the battery is genuine Sony. If not, it puts the laptop into hibernation. This executable can easily be removed when booting up in safe mode. This process is called isbmgr.exe

tl;dr Sony is a nasty company that will try and force you to buy extremely expensive Sony batteries :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

ZENER wrote: »
    Bring it back and get your money back then !

Sure, get your €50 back and spend €200 instead on a genuine Sony battery ;)

Or just overwrite the BIOS and kill the windows process :cool:

unkel wrote: »
    Sure, get your €50 back and spend €200 instead on a genuine Sony battery ;)

Or just overwrite the BIOS and kill the windows process :cool:

it cost me €100, the shop originally said €50 then rang me to say a ton because of the postage. can you explain to me how i overwrite the BIOS and kill the process.
    it came with a sheet explaining how to alter the BIOS but im not sure at all how to do it

For €100 I would expect the shop to provide you with a working battery. There's enough margin in it for that. Did you ask them and did they refuse to do it?

The windows bit is the easy bit, just boot up holding the F8 key before windows starts. Then select safe mode. After windows has loaded bring up the task manager and kill the isbmgr.exe process. Then in windows explorer, look up where this file is located and just delete it :)

The BIOS update is a bit trickier. The instructions (at least the ones I have seen) aren't very well written at all, but once you insert the CD it should be pretty much self-explanatory. Beware though, updating the BIOS is not without risks. If something goes wrong you could brick your laptop

how do i get into the BIOS

There's nothing you can do about it by going into the BIOS yourself. There are no settings there about the battery.

The software on the CD that comes with the replacement battery will overwrite the BIOS with a version that does not contain code to check that the battery is genuine Sony

Not sure where you wanted to go with your question. Does my answer clarify?

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    There's nothing you can do about it by going into the BIOS yourself. There are no settings there about the battery.

The software on the CD that comes with the replacement battery will overwrite the BIOS with a version that does not contain code to check that the battery is genuine Sony

Not sure where you wanted to go with your question. Does my answer clarify?

oh right thanks, the disc ran but said it couldnt install all files. i ran the computer in safe mode but couldnt find the .exe file

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Bring it back to the shop to get a refund or ask them to install the disc. Not heard of needing a custom bios for batteries before, not something I'd be comfortable doing personally

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Gormal

That's Sony trying to force you to buy original parts from them. OH bought a blender from hongKong he had to get rid of the sony hardware manager software can't remember the name starts with an I

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Gormal wrote: »
    That's Sony trying to force you to buy original parts from them. OH bought a blender from hongKong he had to get rid of the sony hardware manager software can't remember the name starts with an I

and they wonder why their sales are at an all time low..

a Genuine Sony Battery is *only* €75 as far as i remember.

Quick search on Amazon, as no model number provided - LINK (Not all of them are genuine - some are "Compatible")

Most, if not all other manufactures batteries are half that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Gormal

Allyall wrote: »
    and they wonder why their sales are at an all time low..

a Genuine Sony Battery is *only* €75 as far as i remember.

Depends on the model last time I checked ours was £200 :eek: and currently on ebay at 'just' €311 hence buying blenders but at least it has a 3 year warranty, some can be dangerous..... or so I heard someplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

if i was you i'd go for a refund then once u get it report the shop for selling counter fit goods. That will teach em.

Advertisement