Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new job - worrying start

Options
  • 24-10-2012 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

So I started a new role 5 weeks ago - its part time 20 hours per week (2.5 days) and a sales and marketing role.

So the other day, my boss sits down and says he doesnt think its going to work out, as he cant see that Im getting through the work fast enough - at this point I was in to my 12th day and in the middle of the christmas campaign.....

We had a bit of a stand off, where I pointed out that I thought that was harsh and unfair as I had essentially only worked 11 days at this point and had gotten stuck in to every task that was asked of me and gone to him with a few ideas of my own.....

Im a 3 month provisional contract.
    It ended with him saying essentially he didnt want to lose me as it would be money and hassle to replace me.
    I really feel I've worked hard the last few weeks and had hoped I had made a good impression....
    Am I out the door once my three months is up do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Ideally you shouldn't have to work where you are not appreciated...

but, we live in the real world.
    Do you need this job? If not - walk. Fuck him.
    Can you get another job? If so - walk. Fuck him.

Otherwise, sadly keep your head down, and keep an eye open for another role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Popz wrote: »
    So I started a new role 5 weeks ago - its part time 20 hours per week (2.5 days) and a sales and marketing role.

So the other day, my boss sits down and says he doesnt think its going to work out, as he cant see that Im getting through the work fast enough - at this point I was in to my 12th day and in the middle of the christmas campaign.....

We had a bit of a stand off, where I pointed out that I thought that was harsh and unfair as I had essentially only worked 11 days at this point and had gotten stuck in to every task that was asked of me and gone to him with a few ideas of my own.....

Im a 3 month provisional contract.
    It ended with him saying essentially he didnt want to lose me as it would be money and hassle to replace me.
    I really feel I've worked hard the last few weeks and had hoped I had made a good impression....
    Am I out the door once my three months is up do you think?

Firstly nobody can answer that question for you but your boss.

I dont know if your working for a small/medium size company or a big one. I dont have much experience with a big one but I know the small/medium ones and you tend to find that the bosses in these places dont like being told how to do things better especially by a little jump start who is only there 11 days when they have been there how long....regardless of if it is a good idea or not

Also in this day and economy they do tend to say these things to keep you on your toes, put the fear in you so your more subordinate and work faster even if you are working fast in the first place.

So if you want to keep this job, then keep your head down, get on with your job and dont tell your manager how to do things better, have an option on nothing and be agreeable even if you think he is a nob, its a job to pay the bills and give you spends at the end of the month, even careers are just jobs let him have the stress and if the only way he has a bit of power is to put the fear in you then he is more to be pitied than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Popz

@edellc
    Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post - though I wish to point out I amn't some little jump start, working in the marketing role I was assigned, one of my job specs was to look at different and quirky ideas for the business to help market it and promote.
    My ideas were nothing to do with telling my boss how to do things better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

pops

you really havent gotten what I am trying to say to you, I do not think you are a jump start, however there are a lot of managers out there who would think that some guy who is in the work place 11 days and in that 11 days they have come up with ideas of their own, your words not mine and this normally means better ways of doing things, they would be highly offended and think hold on a sec who the hell is this little jump start coming in here and telling me how to do things better....get what I'm trying to say...

so have you in the 11 days you have been there offended said manager in this way, obviously not your intention but still, and do you think that they have maybe that their nose is out of joint hence why they think you might not work out.... get it

so less with the attitude

small/medium businesses are a lot different than bigger companies, managers can be very territorial and full of their own importance (not saying that they are not like that in big companies but in little ones they can behave a bit like hitler) and if you want to succeed then its all about playing the game and a bit of ego stroking, learn what you can from them and move on to bigger and better

i was only trying to help you but really feel I shouldnt have bothered.....

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Popz

edellc I was quite polite in my reply to you..... but part of my job spec is to research new ideas and bring them to my boss.
    It has nothing about trying to tell someone how to do things better....

Again thank you for your reply - it is appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

edellc wrote: »
    so less with the attitude...
    that cuts both ways.
    i was only trying to help you but really feel I shouldnt have bothered.....
    No one forced you to reply again. Get over yourself. :rolleyes:

Advertisement