Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Team Lead role

Options
  • 24-10-2012 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I work in Finance department as a team lead.I have been given more responsibily in my role.The thing is im a shy person and my manager says im not vocal enough in this role.The problem is i dont like giving negative feedback to colleagues.He said i will have to do 1 to 1 meeting soon which im dreading,any advice?thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Have work not given you any training on this at all? That's a bit unfair to just dump you in that role without giving you some sort of training.

Anyway - if you need to have an awkward conversation with a team member, get it done as soon as possible. It's much better than someone being surprised during their annual review because they weren't told that something needed improving. Also, from your own point of view, you might need to nip it in the bud so people don't think you're a soft touch.

Start and end the 1 to 1 with positive feedback so they don't leave the meeting feeling crap, and don't feel ambushed at the start. I only scanned this page, but there seems to be some good tips there.

As cringey as it will feel, practice the conversation with either your boss or someone in HR who can give you some pointers. You need to make sure it doesn't seem like a formal disciplinary issue.

There should be tons of results on google on specifically how to give the feedback. How direct you need to be will depend on lots of factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi Eoin,thanks for this,its the kind of place where things are thrown at you.My manager said he will give me training but from earlier experiences it will be an hour here and there.Its not as if I am on massive money.I am only on a couple of grand more than the ones underneath me and have alot of extra responsibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

My manager said he will give me training but from earlier experiences it will be an hour here and there.

In my expereince, this kind of training / coaching is the best, because it can be tightly targeted at your observed skills and weaknesses.

If you want more, you could google for team leader or supervision training, and put a proposal to your manager for some more formal training.

Also, if you're feeling shy etc, try looking for some assertiveness training or similar.

Your boss obviously thinks that you have the potential to do the job, or s/he wouldn't have given it to you. It's really up to you to step up to the plate and make sure you get what you need to be successful in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Is the discomfort due to giving feedback to employees who were once your peers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Try these books, I can highly recommend them: +++

Crucial Confrontations

Video

Crucial Conversations

Video

These really helped me when I became a manager.

They are really how-to-manuals rather than self-help books.

Really useful if you are shy or non-assertive or the opposite, overbearing and overconfident.

Good Luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement