Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lotto

• 24-10-2012 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

What if I found a lotto ticket and It actually won, what would happin could I claim the money? Or would they find out I didn't buy it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

They'd never know.
    **** for whoever lost it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

imagine if the person had been picking the same numbers for 30 years..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

jason2501 wrote: »
    What if I found a lotto ticket and It actually won, what would happin could I claim the money? Or would they find out I didn't buy it.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lujd79nCBz1qbykh3o1_500.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Ah the lottery, a tax on fools who still play it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Once it wasn't signed by the person who owned it on the back, there's no way of proving that it wasn't yours. You just stick your signature on the back and you're away. No problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Unless the original owner signed the back of it, it's very unlikely anyone will question whether or not it's yours. So you better sign the back of it quickly and I'll take my advisory commission.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

In first.......I lost a lotto a winning lotto ticket:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I'm sure each ticket bares something unique to trace it back to the machine that it was bought from. Shops tend to have CCTV around the till area that may identify the buyer if you wanted to go down that route.

I somehow doubt that though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,463 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

If the buyer can name the place and time they bought it they might have a case I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

Stinicker wrote: »

.......who STILL play it. so does this mean that you used to play and now have stopped?

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »
    If the buyer can name the place and time they bought it they might have a case I presume.
    If it was a quick pick they may not have even looked at the numbers. Nobody really bothers looking until they're checking them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

.......who STILL play it. so does this mean that you used to play and now have stopped?

No, but is there that many people there that actually play it? I understand it was popular in the past. Never played it myself, everyone makes there own luck in life and it is a waste of money. 100 scratch cards would probably yield far more money.

No, but is there that many people there that actually play it? I understand it was popular in the past. Never played it myself, everyone makes there own luck in life and it is a waste of money. 100 scratch cards would probably yield far more money.
    I don't do the lotto that much, but I've had a few wins. One of which I had 5 numbers. My partner does it about as often as I do and won a few grand in the summer. I wouldn't throw the stupid people tax comment around, I'm still quids up on whatever I've spent on it.

Lost property remains the property of the loser for a period of time so technically it wouldn't be yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

Isn't a lottery ticket a bearer instrument once it isn't signed?

In other words, tough luck if you lose it unsigned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

They check where you bought it in the UK according to this story

http://mancunianmatters.co.uk/content/20084978-callous-shop-worker-who-attempted-steal-pensioners-winning-lottery-ticket-be-senten

might be different here....

Sarn wrote: »
    Isn't a lottery ticket a bearer instrument once it isn't signed?

In other words, tough luck if you lose it unsigned.

But if the loser knew the numbers and time and place of purchase I'm sure he could claim it was his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

I think that they ask you questions like where you bought the ticket before they pay out and they know where and when the ticket was sold. So if you don't have this info you won't get the payout.

There was a case in the papers a while ago where a shop assistant was asked by an OAP to check their ticket. The OAP had won, but shop assistant told OAP that it was not a winner, then tried to collect winnings themselves. Was caught out, charged and they were able to trace the OAP and hand over the winnings to the right person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

they would be able to trace the ticket purchase back to a store and then check the CCTV to verify it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

how is it a tax , it's a choice to play or not , you have no choice with tax. And alot of "fools" have won on it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭MrTsSnickers

I know someone that plays it 4 times per week. He was checking it one day (that I was there) got a fiver win and was genuinely delighted with himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Was the jackpot won? I really hate work. Oh God I hope I won it. Please!

If I win this tonight I Will buy boards and give you all more pm space :)

Mamy5 wrote: »
    Someone answer me here please! http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056733814
    Thank you! :)
    Are you a spam bot?

Advertisement