Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haggling @ Harvey Norman?

Options
  • 24-10-2012 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place, but I'm buying a TV in Harvey's on Saturday, and I'm wondering would it be worth my while trying to get some moulah off it??

I know a friend of mine got like €300 off a sofa when he haggled.

Has anyone any tips for haggling? I've never done it before, but want to start! ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

No real chance of haggling on a TV; to small margins but what you can get possibly are extras (TV stand, cables etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

It's not against the law to try :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Gormal

Yes haggle! Especially if the TV is the last one and an ex display! Like Nody says if they don't shift from the price try and get some 'extras' ;)

We've bought a tv and wireless headphones and got discounts on both (Not from them), just don't appear too keen ;) I'm not an expert or anything, try the 'hmm I kinda like this one, but it's a little over my budget' approach, 'what's the best deal you can do on it? '

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,998 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place, but I'm buying a TV in Harvey's on Saturday, and I'm wondering would it be worth my while trying to get some moulah off it??

Has anyone any tips for haggling? I've never done it before, but want to start! ;)

There's no harm in asking, all they can say is no.

But don't buy their extended warranty or HDMI cable even if they are heavily discounted. With HDMI cables the €2 Shop ones are as good as the €100 ones, it's a digital signal so once it works it works and can't be improved. Most of their other accessories are over priced compared to buying else where, so just get the TV there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Do your homework, know the prices in any other store nearby. Depends on how much you're buying also. Single tv, you'd be lucky to get a bottle of lcd cleaning stuff and a wipe. Buy a three piece suite and you can try to swing a tv.

Make sure that you're not being given stuff you don't need. If you weren't going to buy it, you didn't save anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I bought a tv off them about 3 weeks ago. 26" Sony smart tv. They had it priced @€;519. It was available on Sony website for €499 but I found it elsewhere online for €441. I showed them that price on my phone and they double checked the website themselves before agreeing to sell it to me for €439.

Do your homework on the tv you want. If you can see it cheaper elsewhere ask them to at least price match.

Heres the display I got:

http://www.harveynorman.ie/catalog/product/view/id/18726/s/sony-26-hd-ready-smart-led-tv-white-kdl26ex553wu/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭AlarmBelle

Friend got 300 off a laptop because they said they would beat any other offer.He had found it 300 euro cheaper somewhere else. That was few years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Slydice wrote: »
    It's not against the law to try :)

Harvey Norman have run ads actively encouraging people to haggle. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I know somebody who works there, they said there is typically a lot that can be knocked off furniture but not electronics. Some stuff on offer is already at its lowest price and the staff can not even get a discount, or a minimal one.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭omega666

I remmber getting 50 or 60 quid knocked off a Nintendo Wii there 3 or 4 years back. Just told the sales man it was cheaper in another store and he checked
    with his boss and gave the discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

My boyfriend got €50 knocked off our 3d tv and and extra 2 sets of glasses thrown in.
    Sure chance your arm, no harm in trying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭xpletiv

My da has to be the master of haggling. He was in the furniture business for years with MFI. I was in HN with him last christmas time and he was getting a new bed.

He ended up with 10% off, free side tables, and even got yer wan to throw in her own staff discount! The master :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Bought a new bed and mattress in Harvey Norman and we got nearly €400 off the total cost. We didn't have to haggle, this was offered to us up front by the woman we dealt with so I'd say you could very easily haggle with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭lotsofthegreen

AlarmBelle wrote: »
    Friend got 300 off a laptop because they said they would beat any other offer.He had found it 300 euro cheaper somewhere else. That was few years ago
    so your friend could buy it for x euro somwhere and got hn to accept x euro. Saving = 0

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

so your friend could buy it for x euro somwhere and got hn to accept x euro. Saving = 0

Well they got it for €300 less than Harvey Norman were advertising and didnt have to travel to the other place to buy it.

Nice contribution though.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I am pretty sure HN had ads last year inviting people to come & haggle, so no need to feel awkward giving it ago. Powercity will haggle too, they have always matched the online price at least, I know some who got freebies thrown in too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

gbee wrote: »
    Harvey Norman have run ads actively encouraging people to haggle. :)

which sums up how overpriced they are to begin with

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

rubadub wrote: »
    I know somebody who works there, they said there is typically a lot that can be knocked off furniture but not electronics. Some stuff on offer is already at its lowest price and the staff can not even get a discount, or a minimal one.

You're right there-my friend works in Harvey Norman and he said you can get bigger discounts off furniture but not much off electronics.
    They will always try to get you something off if you ask but it might not be much.

• Advertisement
Advertisement