Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GWP x hungarian vizsla

• 24-10-2012 7:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭

I have a GWP bitch who came into heat and got caught by Hungarian Vizsla. I am wondering has anyone seen this cross before and what did they look like? Is it a wirehaired vizsla? Do you think they would be a desirable dog for hunters i.e. should I be able to shift do you think easily, would they worth much?Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭corco2000

dicky, cheers for that.Don't look great. I was thinking they would look more like a Hungarian wirehaired vizsla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

There is Vizla already in the GWP, your pups would just have more Vizla than normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Let me know when the pups are born il gladly take one off you
    I know a lad who's father has a GSP x vizsla an is great dog for pointing and doin heavy cover

Dodderranger, I will keep you in mind and updated. You arent too far from me either. Mother and father working well, more so the vizzy.GWP still a bit puppyish even at 3! I have two others who would want a pup, so looks like good interest.
    Im really just trying to figure out what colours they be. Would they be the solid red of a Vizzy. I see in the attached picture of the GSP they are different colours would this apply to a GWP?
    I know the Hungarian wirehaired pointer was created by crossing GWP and smooth vizzy, to make it a bit hardier, so are they techniqully droppers or HWV(hungarian wire vizz)? Anybody know for sure? Thanks again

• Advertisement

I wouldn't really call them droppers as they are both a pointing breed
    Id more call a dropper a springer x pointer or lab pointer cross
    Yeah I'd defo take one off you need a Pointer
    Miss shootin phezzy's :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭dicky82

corco2000 wrote: »
    Dodderranger, I will keep you in mind and updated. You arent too far from me either. Mother and father working well, more so the vizzy.GWP still a bit puppyish even at 3! I have two others who would want a pup, so looks like good interest.
    Im really just trying to figure out what colours they be. Would they be the solid red of a Vizzy. I see in the attached picture of the GSP they are different colours would this apply to a GWP?
    I know the Hungarian wirehaired pointer was created by crossing GWP and smooth vizzy, to make it a bit hardier, so are they techniqully droppers or HWV(hungarian wire vizz)? Anybody know for sure? Thanks again

you can never know for sure what they'll look like until she whelps them. when i bread my springers this year, liver bitch to a black dog i didn't know what she'd have, as it happens only three were liver to six black. both my dog and bitch have have full marked faces but all the pups bar two had white strips down their faces.

i wouldn't be too worried what they look like, i'd be more concerned weather they work well. if the parents are both solid working dog's then you should shift them handy enough. shame that your bitch is going to be out of action for the season though.

As the above poster said don't be concerned with their appearance. I saw a brittany with cross eyes that was a fantastic dog. The thing looked like Forest Whittaker :D

Well mate any word on the dog yet is she defo in pup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭yessam

I would like to see what you have, when they are ready.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭Hunterjohnb

Hello Corco,would be interested in a bitch pup as and if one becomes available.Could I ask you to keep me in mind please.

Guys, thank you for interest and response. Yes it looks like she is in pup, she is getting big and nipples getting red etc. They would be due in or around dec22nd, ready to go 8-10weeks after that. In time for training up in spring and hopefully ready for sep/oct!!!
    The father is turning out to be a smashing dog he is mad for work, I have had them both out on snipe,woodcock,pheasant,duck and pigeon this season so far.Going very well. The bitch is rock steady on pheasant and snipe both hunt point ad retrieve. They will both track deer, though I think he is better at the moment than her.
    The pups will only go to working homes, I have no doubt they will work out very well.
    I will post pictures of both as soon as I figure out how to!! And keep the post updated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

I'ld like to see how these turn out, good luck with it.

Il definately be interested in one and it's a working home
    Be worked with guns and birds of prey

This is the bitch. Will post a picture of dog also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭dicky82

nice bitch, did she have the pups yet?

Dicky, no not yet due in around dec 22 I think. Will keep post updated.
    This is the father, took these today will take more tomorrow, should get out for shot, hopefully have some game beside him!!

Mate will u put my name down for one of the pups a female please Havint had a gun dog in 6 years nearly and was deciding whether to get a pointer again or vizsla and with the two combined will be perfect

Well, bitch had 13 beutiful pups last night. All are solid liver, some with white patch on chest and one with one white paw. They seem to be smooth coats at the moment.
    I am only posting here for now as want them to go to good working homes as both parents working.
    Please pm me if you are interested in pup.
    I will update with pictures.

Well, bitch had 13 beutiful pups last night. All are solid liver, some with white patch on chest and one with one white paw. They seem to be smooth coats at the moment.
    I am only posting here for now as want them to go to good working homes as both parents working.
    Please pm me if you are interested in pup.
    I will update with pictures.

Congrats on the litter!
    Hope all of them are strong and healthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I think he'll be busy bottle feeding for the next few weeks!!!

lol they are doing ok for now no bottle feeds yet. I am going to seperaate them into 2 groups and rotate feeds as bigger pups are just knocking weaker ones off her. I dont want to interfer too much. You need to keep an eye on them as worried bitch might lie on them (happened yesterday) also the bed needs to be cleaned regularly blankets replaced and washed. Good fun though. We then have to cook up whatever the bitch will eat as she has gone very fuzzy and need to eat as much as seh can.
    Fun and games.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 midnightfalcon

Best of wishes. Have you pig rails in your welping box they will help stop the bitch from traping pups in the corners of the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

Pics of the pups would be good when they get big enough...

glen pix attached. Will update as they get bigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

glen pix attached. Will update as they get bigger.

Put up more pics when they are older/cuter- I might get her-indoors convinced yet! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭Hunterjohnb

Can you put my name on a bitch pup please?

Cheers John, PM sent.

Only after a week, I can actually see their 'working\hunting instinct'. When they are slightly away from bitch and want a drink their tail goes up in the air and they use their back legs to hunt for bitch. They have a very good sense of smell, though blind and deaf.Like a dog going into dense cover knowing a bird lies within.
    They are starting to form their own characters even at this age.

• Advertisement

Great news Paul
    Look forward to seeing them

Advertisement