Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wake on LAN

Options
  • 24-10-2012 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi,

I wanted to be able to use an app to wake up my PC and then be able to remote desktop into it. I got everything set up on my PC and router and when I tested it, everything worked perfectly. I was able to make the PC up from sleep or from shutdown. Then the next day when I was away and tried it again, it didn't work. After a while I found out that it only would allow me to wake the pc up for a short time (I think around 10 mins) after putting it to sleep or shutting it down. The NIC must be going to sleep or something. I found some advanced settings in the NIC like green ethernet and energy efficient ethernet and I couldn't find out exactly what they did but I tried disabling them it still had the same problem. Then I remembered the power management settings of the NIC where you had to check "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" if you wanted to check "Allow this device to wake the computer". Is this what is causing the problem? If yes how can I work around this? It seems pretty strange that you have to check one to check the other. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

keen to try this also so I have been doing a bit of research
    Found this site helpful

WOL

• Registered Users Posts: 17 johncarter

hi

to get this working properly there are a few steps you need to set up.
    1) the pc that you want to wake up needs to "go to sleep" in a particular way so that its nic stays awake, this is done via the OS (linux / windows)
    2) if you have a pc then ensure you have enabled wake-on-lan in the bios (not all bioses support this which is a show stopper)
    3) you need the mac address of you nic something like DE:AD:BE:EF:12:34
    4) you need to be able to send the "magic packet" from something like a pc even an android phone.

Advertisement