Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Narrow Water Bridge

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭NFD100

I drove past the area last week and a lot of fresh clearance on the Co. Louth side...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Another month or so will decide the fate of the bridge as regards it's funding according to the Irish Times.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/narrow-water-bridge-project-hangs-by-a-thread-1.1544141

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Looking like the end for this project now. European funding of €17.4 million has been withdrawn by the Special European Union Programmes Body (SEUPB).

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/1115/486955-narrow-water-project/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭iopener

Wasn't to be unexpected its been dragging on now for far too long, € 17 odd millions let slip through our fingers. I get a feeling that we will talking about this project for a long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I am still of the opinion that whilst this would be a lovely project, this will be used by people as a southern bypass for Newry and the links to the ROI M1 are just not suitable for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

I expect it can still attract EU funding future years, but they will need to have a proper costed design for the bridge that can be built for the budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

This one might not be dead in the (Narrow) water just yet (see what i did there? :p )

While looking for the latest on the A5 over on the excellent Wesley Johnston site I noticed this project. "A1-A2 Newry Southern Relief Road / Bypass" They are at stage 2 of the route assessment and one of the routes uses a new crossing at narrowwater. This might help put this bridge back on the map.

http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads/newrysouthernreliefroad.html

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I wouldn't be surprised if this went ahead in addition to the Newry relief road.

The road network around this proposed bridge isn't good enough to act as a southern relief road for Newry.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Varadkar has namechecked this project during a recent speech in Belfast:
    As part of this, we are working on our ambitious multi-annual 10-year capital plan to be finalised by the end of 2017. This will outline investment in roads, in public transport, in energy, in water, in schools, in higher education and in hospitals and health facilities. This capital plan will include detailed funded plans to complete the national road network, including links between Dublin and Derry-Londonderry and Donegal. We remain committed to contributing £75 million to the construction of the A5. In this context the Irish Government will also give consideration to other infrastructure commitments including the Ulster Canal, the concept of the Narrow Water Bridge, and improving line speeds on the Dublin to Belfast rail line. This 10 year capital plan will also accelerate delivery of Ireland's critical public transport infrastructure and will include substantial investment in the ports and airports that Ireland will need as a successful, global trading nation – infrastructure of benefit to the people and businesses of both parts of this island.

Read more at: http://www.derryjournal.com/news/in-full-taoiseach-leo-varadkar-s-belfast-speech-on-north-south-relations-1-8088100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

£75m approx €90m.. Can we not find some better use for this money. Expansion of the new childrens hospital, M3 - M7 Outter M50 Ring rd. Bit much expecting us to pay a contribution to the A5 when every Irish HGV crossing the border has to pay a toll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I agree, an utter and complete white elephant waste of money. It's 17km into Newry and back out again hardly worth building a bridge for.

I see a ferry has started between Greenore and Greencastle which would be by far a more attractive proposition for any tourists in the area wanting to cross from one side to the other.

http://carlingfordferry.com/

Four years later, and €3m has been found, according to RTE.

Personally I think this is a good idea, it won't be as useful as the Newry Southern Bypass, if that happens in the next decade, but I still think it'll be useful - provided it doesn't end up getting used for the same purpose and clogs up mountain roads.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021/0629/1231922-narrow-water-bridge/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Four years later, and €3m has been found, according to RTE.

Personally I think this is a good idea, it won't be as useful as the Newry Southern Bypass, if that happens in the next decade, but I still think it'll be useful - provided it doesn't end up getting used for the same purpose and clogs up mountain roads.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021/0629/1231922-narrow-water-bridge/

you mean provided it doesn't generate more traffic? It will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

loyatemu wrote: »
    you mean provided it doesn't generate more traffic? It will.

I honestly don't understand this objection. If "but this will lead to more people moving around more easily" is accepted as reasonable grounds to oppose investment in transport infrastructure, then no investment whatsoever can be justified (including PT, which still allows people to live far away from their places of work, shops, etc). Maybe that's the point, I guess.

Separately, the bridge looks good. Hopefully it goes ahead.

It will, however my fear with this is that it'll be used as a Newry Southern bypass - the mountain roads are nowhere near good enough for that. For sure I'd be using it for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I honestly don't understand this objection. If "but this will lead to more people moving around more easily" is accepted as reasonable grounds to oppose investment in transport infrastructure, then no investment whatsoever can be justified (including PT, which still allows people to live far away from their places of work, shops, etc). Maybe that's the point, I guess.

Separately, the bridge looks good. Hopefully it goes ahead.

not an objection, more an observation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Tender for document management software and services on this project, would suggest that it should progess to construction in the not too distant future.

Excellent, keep the wheels turning on this one please!

Looks like we are going to build this whether they like it or not on the other side :-)

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022/1117/1336770-bridge-tender/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Why do people call things like this a "waste of money". Will make things far more accessible for the north east and even god-forbid ecourage more cross-border tourism

In a modern world where every knob out there wants to block class road projects, Its imperative that labels like "waste of money" are ignored and mocked. Plenty of good projects cancelled already. This is a (small) bit of karma for the motorist.

• Advertisement

To be honest, everyone wants this one, north and south (apart from a small minority up north). For tourism this one is an absolute no-brainer - although I still fear there will be some use of this as a de-facto Newry Southern Bypass, with the mountain roads just not up to it.

This will be great for the area if it is built. It will be busier than people think.

The Newry Southern Bypass IF it ever goes ahead will compliment this crossing. The road isnt that bad up along the canal to where they are talking of building the loop up the side of the mountain so it'd be ideal to come across here and up to the link road. However as with everythign up North at the minute IF IF :-)

It's great that the bridge will have segregated cycle lanes as the cycle infrastructure there is developing either side of the border so a link there will be a big boost.

Contract awarded, apparently to BAM, and construction to begin soon;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

"Several years" just to build a bridge like that. Between planning and construction projects take way too long here.

Official sod turning ceremony today. I'm puzzled as to why this will take 3 years to complete. Surely sections of the bridge will be constructed off-site and brought to the location when needed?

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2024/0604/1452895-bridge-louth-down/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I see the amateur structural engineers are out again. Just a 200m cable stayed bridge and associated roads to be built. Sections should definitely have been precast before the contract was even awarded to speed up the project 🙄

"Sections should definitely have been precast before the contract was even awarded"

Erm, nobody has said this……

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The most likely (and common) construction method is that the towers will be poured in situ (not a straight forward job looking at the angles) and that the bridge deck will be delivered precast. There is nothing unusual about this process taking up to 3 years to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Act Fast

Fairly ugly looking yoke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭joeymcg

I'm amazed they were allowed build this so close to a Round Tower. It's not as if they were tight on space or anything.

Photo: Seehigher

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/pVBK7crHJeHwqdsP/

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭quodec

It's not a medieval round tower. It's a 19th century navigational aid for vessels using the river.

Advertisement