Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Narrow Water Bridge

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Waiting on the NI authorities now it seems according to the Dundalk Argus (Apr 17th).

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/argus/news/all-ducks-lined-up-for-narrow-water-bridge-29202073.html

Draft order due very soon according to NI executive press release (19th Apr).

http://www.northernireland.gov.uk/news-drd-190413-draft-orders-for

EDIT: and here is the draft order. Published today.

http://www.drdni.gov.uk/index/publications/publications-details.htm?docid=8819

Also a related draft order dealing with the bridge's impact on the Newry River.

http://www.drdni.gov.uk/index/publications/publications-details.htm?docid=8820

Fears continue that the project will be lost due to delays in NI over approving funding for it. Finger being pointed at Sammy Wilson.

Today's Irish Times:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/funding-for-narrow-water-bridge-may-be-lost-1.1396076

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

Funding approved by Finance Minister

http://www.northernireland.gov.uk/news-dfp-280513-finance-minister-approves
    The Narrow Water Bridge Project, with East Border Region as the lead partner has been submitted under the INTERREG IVA Programme Theme – Public Sector Collaboration for which the Department of Finance and Personnel is the accountable department in Northern Ireland.

Speaking following his approval Sammy Wilson said: “Funding of £14million for the Narrow Water Bridge has now been given approval subject to clarification on technical conditions applicable to the Letter of Offer.

“As with any project offer, the Letter of Offer for the Narrow Water Bridge Project will include a number of important conditions. One such condition is a commitment by Louth County Council that they will have sole responsibility for any cost overruns associated within the eligible spend timeframe and in the event that the project would extend outside this period. Louth County Council shall also meet all the maintenance and associated costs related to the upkeep of the bridge and its service area.”

The Minister added: “Under the project theme this project aims to build a bridge - that would link the counties of Down and Louth across Carlingford Lough and also the Newry to Warrenpoint Road with the Omeath to Newry Road. The Letter of Offer will also stipulate that Newry and Mourne District Council will meet all operational costs and associated actions of the bridge including costs incurred with its opening and closing.

“This project will also be subject to the approval of a Bridge Order being in place and which I know that the Department for Regional Development has already published the Narrow Water Bridge Order for consultation on 22 April with a period of objections open until 4 June. After that date, any objections received will be considered by DRD Minister Danny Kennedy and he will decide if a public inquiry is required.”

Concluding the Minister said: “The project will be subject to ongoing review by the Special EU Programmes Body (SEUPB) to ensure that it remains within the timeframe laid down by the INTERREG Programme.

“My Department will work closely with SEUPB to ensure that the Letter of Offer is issued promptly to the project.”

Good news at last on this. Also articles reporting this in the Irish Independent, Belfast News Letter and Belfast Telegraph.

Also articles on BBC News NI and UTV News websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭iopener

great news, does anyone know when construction will start?

• Advertisement

Any objections to the bridge order must be made by June 4th. Depending on any received, the Department of Regional Development, headed by Danny Kennedy could order a public enquiry to be held, so an actual start date is still unknown.

Section on the bridge here at Wesley Johnston's NI Roads site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

OCorcrainn wrote: »
    I do not understand how people vote for cretins like Sammy Wilson.

Same reason people vote for cretins in FF or SF... they look after their own.

The period for submissions with regards to the bridge order passed yesterday. This week's Dundalk Argus says a number have been received so NI's Department of Regional Development could yet hold a hearing into the project which could delay the start date.

Also according to the paper, the closing date for the 5 remaining preferred contractors to submit their final applications for the contract is June 14, with the winner to be decided about 10 days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

Deedsie wrote: »

No chance of passing though so no real issue. Your man isn't even a local politician

• Advertisement

Over 3 weeks now since the closing date for public submissions re the bridge orders. No word yet from the DRDNI whether an inquiry may be held.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Statement issud today by Louth Co Co
    Narrow Water Bridge project put on hold pending costs and funding review

Louth County Council has today (July 9th) confirmed that the proposed cross-border Narrow Water Bridge to link Co Louth with Co Down has been put on hold after tenders received from construction companies for the project ran substantially above the allocated budget. Tenders received ranged from €26m to €40m plus VAT.

The bridge across the Newry River at Narrow Water has the support of the Republic of Ireland of Ireland and Northern Ireland governments and secured funding of approximately €17.4m earlier this year from the INTERREG IVA programme administered by the Special EU Programmes Body (SEUPB). The project also won approval last year from An Bord Pleanála and the Northern Ireland planning authorities.

A spokesperson for Louth County Council said today: “Having examined all of the tenders received from contractors competing to build the bridge, it is clear that their estimates of the cost of construction are considerably higher than the figures we have been working with to date. This leaves us with a substantial funding shortfall. Our focus now is on seeing if this can be filled through any combination of additional funding and cost reductions.

“While our ambition remains to see this socially and economically desirable project through to completion, the reality is that it is now effectively on hold. At this time, we want to record our appreciation for the support that we have received to date from all of the various stakeholders in both the Republic and Northern Ireland.”

The current Narrow Water Bridge project commenced in 2008 when Louth County Council engaged Roughan O’Donovan Consulting Engineers to design a bridge in keeping with the outstanding natural beauty in the area. The same company designed the Mary McAleese Boyne Valley Bridge on the M1 Dublin-Belfast motorway.

The single-carriageway, 195 metres cable-stayed Narrow Water Bridge is designed to connect Cornamucklagh near Omeath, Co Louth with Narrow Water near Warrenpoint, Co Down and the total length of the proposed scheme is 620m.

Ends – July 9, 2013.

Disappointing. RTE and BBC reports. Also piece from UTV News. Interestingly enough, UTV's piece says that the DRD minister Danny Kennedy had reported earlier to the NI Assembly that no public enquiry was to be held re objections received to the bridge orders, so construction could have started if the funding had been in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

€9,000,000

Think of what that miniscule amount of money is being pissed away on right now... It is desperately depressing that this has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Roughan O Donovan have alot to answer for, how the cost estimate and tender price could be so far apart is a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Another hugely overpriced white elephant rural vanity project bites the dust.

Good.

We already have enough of them gathering dust around the country.

It should be possible to build an eastern Newry bypass/relief route without such ridiculous expense, and entirely within NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

D.L.R. wrote: »

I'm sure a more modest bridge could be built within budget.
    It should be possible to build an eastern Newry bypass/relief route without such ridiculous expense, and entirely within NI.

the Newry eastern bypass could not be built for 10 times this amount and won't be built for a generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,401 ✭✭✭✭Alun

D.L.R. wrote:

I agree, I really can't see the point of it for what is really only a 20 minute detour into Newry and back out again. Any tourist who wants to visit Carlingford, or drive around the N.I. coast to Newcastle can still do so if they want, and I don't see the mere existence of a bridge influencing their plans substantively.

Speaking as a hillwalker who visits the Mournes regularly, apart from the tourist routes up Donard from Newcastle, there are other more direct and quicker ways of accessing the main walking areas, i.e. via Hilltown. It's even quicker getting to Newcastle that way in my experience.

I was with my mate today and fella he knows who is a local photographer in warrenpoint told us that the bridge is going ahead for definite, he was out in a boat during the week and on both sides of the Lough taking photos for the Newry and mourne council the photos will be used for the big announcement in a months time , contracts are signed

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

Alun wrote: »
    Speaking as a hillwalker who visits the Mournes regularly, apart from the tourist routes up Donard from Newcastle, there are other more direct and quicker ways of accessing the main walking areas, i.e. via Hilltown. It's even quicker getting to Newcastle that way in my experience.

Indeed, I too do the hills, & go via Mayobridge/Hilltown to get to Newcastle: a more direct route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭NFD100

I drove past the area last week and a lot of fresh clearance on the Co. Louth side...

Another month or so will decide the fate of the bridge as regards it's funding according to the Irish Times.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/narrow-water-bridge-project-hangs-by-a-thread-1.1544141

Looking like the end for this project now. European funding of €17.4 million has been withdrawn by the Special European Union Programmes Body (SEUPB).

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/1115/486955-narrow-water-project/

Wasn't to be unexpected its been dragging on now for far too long, € 17 odd millions let slip through our fingers. I get a feeling that we will talking about this project for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I am still of the opinion that whilst this would be a lovely project, this will be used by people as a southern bypass for Newry and the links to the ROI M1 are just not suitable for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

I expect it can still attract EU funding future years, but they will need to have a proper costed design for the bridge that can be built for the budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭cargo

This one might not be dead in the (Narrow) water just yet (see what i did there? :p )

While looking for the latest on the A5 over on the excellent Wesley Johnston site I noticed this project. "A1-A2 Newry Southern Relief Road / Bypass" They are at stage 2 of the route assessment and one of the routes uses a new crossing at narrowwater. This might help put this bridge back on the map.

http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads/newrysouthernreliefroad.html

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I wouldn't be surprised if this went ahead in addition to the Newry relief road.

The road network around this proposed bridge isn't good enough to act as a southern relief road for Newry.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Varadkar has namechecked this project during a recent speech in Belfast:
    As part of this, we are working on our ambitious multi-annual 10-year capital plan to be finalised by the end of 2017. This will outline investment in roads, in public transport, in energy, in water, in schools, in higher education and in hospitals and health facilities. This capital plan will include detailed funded plans to complete the national road network, including links between Dublin and Derry-Londonderry and Donegal. We remain committed to contributing £75 million to the construction of the A5. In this context the Irish Government will also give consideration to other infrastructure commitments including the Ulster Canal, the concept of the Narrow Water Bridge, and improving line speeds on the Dublin to Belfast rail line. This 10 year capital plan will also accelerate delivery of Ireland's critical public transport infrastructure and will include substantial investment in the ports and airports that Ireland will need as a successful, global trading nation – infrastructure of benefit to the people and businesses of both parts of this island.

Read more at: http://www.derryjournal.com/news/in-full-taoiseach-leo-varadkar-s-belfast-speech-on-north-south-relations-1-8088100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

£75m approx €90m.. Can we not find some better use for this money. Expansion of the new childrens hospital, M3 - M7 Outter M50 Ring rd. Bit much expecting us to pay a contribution to the A5 when every Irish HGV crossing the border has to pay a toll.

Advertisement