Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Narrow Water Bridge

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,417 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I agree, an utter and complete white elephant waste of money. It's 17km into Newry and back out again hardly worth building a bridge for.

I see a ferry has started between Greenore and Greencastle which would be by far a more attractive proposition for any tourists in the area wanting to cross from one side to the other.

http://carlingfordferry.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Four years later, and €3m has been found, according to RTE.

Personally I think this is a good idea, it won't be as useful as the Newry Southern Bypass, if that happens in the next decade, but I still think it'll be useful - provided it doesn't end up getting used for the same purpose and clogs up mountain roads.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021/0629/1231922-narrow-water-bridge/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Four years later, and €3m has been found, according to RTE.

Personally I think this is a good idea, it won't be as useful as the Newry Southern Bypass, if that happens in the next decade, but I still think it'll be useful - provided it doesn't end up getting used for the same purpose and clogs up mountain roads.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021/0629/1231922-narrow-water-bridge/

you mean provided it doesn't generate more traffic? It will.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

loyatemu wrote: »
    you mean provided it doesn't generate more traffic? It will.

I honestly don't understand this objection. If "but this will lead to more people moving around more easily" is accepted as reasonable grounds to oppose investment in transport infrastructure, then no investment whatsoever can be justified (including PT, which still allows people to live far away from their places of work, shops, etc). Maybe that's the point, I guess.

Separately, the bridge looks good. Hopefully it goes ahead.

It will, however my fear with this is that it'll be used as a Newry Southern bypass - the mountain roads are nowhere near good enough for that. For sure I'd be using it for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I honestly don't understand this objection. If "but this will lead to more people moving around more easily" is accepted as reasonable grounds to oppose investment in transport infrastructure, then no investment whatsoever can be justified (including PT, which still allows people to live far away from their places of work, shops, etc). Maybe that's the point, I guess.

Separately, the bridge looks good. Hopefully it goes ahead.

not an objection, more an observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Tender for document management software and services on this project, would suggest that it should progess to construction in the not too distant future.

Excellent, keep the wheels turning on this one please!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭cargo

Looks like we are going to build this whether they like it or not on the other side :-)

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022/1117/1336770-bridge-tender/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Why do people call things like this a "waste of money". Will make things far more accessible for the north east and even god-forbid ecourage more cross-border tourism

In a modern world where every knob out there wants to block class road projects, Its imperative that labels like "waste of money" are ignored and mocked. Plenty of good projects cancelled already. This is a (small) bit of karma for the motorist.

• Advertisement

To be honest, everyone wants this one, north and south (apart from a small minority up north). For tourism this one is an absolute no-brainer - although I still fear there will be some use of this as a de-facto Newry Southern Bypass, with the mountain roads just not up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭cargo

This will be great for the area if it is built. It will be busier than people think.

The Newry Southern Bypass IF it ever goes ahead will compliment this crossing. The road isnt that bad up along the canal to where they are talking of building the loop up the side of the mountain so it'd be ideal to come across here and up to the link road. However as with everythign up North at the minute IF IF :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

It's great that the bridge will have segregated cycle lanes as the cycle infrastructure there is developing either side of the border so a link there will be a big boost.

Advertisement