Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Build ( Need Advice)

Options
  • 24-10-2012 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi to all,

I have been thinking about building a PC for myself recently.

The PC I have is old and will barely do two simple things at once without slowing.

I have this PC for about 6 or 7 years,it doenst owe me anything,and a few months ago something burned out in it.

I,m not sure what it was,I think it was a graphics card.

Anyway now if i,m watching a youtube vid n i,m scrolling another tab, the video will skip.

Time for a change I think.

So I was hoping people here can help me make a good choice for a custom built PC.

It will be my first build(as you can guess from title) and I am new to this so please explain,it would be a great help.

Any advice appreciated and thanks to any who comment.

1. What is your budget? 1,500euro

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/Internet] (If gaming include which games) All of above + Games like Rome and other games like that,some simulator games too.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.] 24`

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Yes,but will aquire those after initial build

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? CC/Paypal

9. When are you purchasing? As soon as

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? N/A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭deravarra

BikerTech wrote: »
    Hi to all,

I have been thinking about building a PC for myself recently.

The PC I have is old and will barely do two simple things at once without slowing.

I have this PC for about 6 or 7 years,it doenst owe me anything,and a few months ago something burned out in it.

I,m not sure what it was,I think it was a graphics card.

Anyway now if i,m watching a youtube vid n i,m scrolling another tab, the video will skip.

Time for a change I think.

So I was hoping people here can help me make a good choice for a custom built PC.

More to follow. . . .

Advice appreciated!

Well, your situation sounds like mine, without the burning :)

You've come to the best place for advice - there are a lot of very helpful and knowledgeable people here.

Perhaps you might fill out the form and post it below - it will give everyone a good idea on what the possibilities are for your new build.

If you want to ask about a new build, please include as much of the following information as possible in your thread:

1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

The budget and what you intend to do with the pc are the most important factors that will help shape your pc build.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 BikerTech

Thanks for the quick reply Deravarra :)

I have edited my post since I posted the first a few mins ago.

I am hoping to get the help I need here to build a kick ass PC for myself!

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Nice budget :D

I'd go with this:

Item|Price
    8GB-Kit G.Skill Ares PC3-17066U CL11-11-11-31|€49.14
    Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 7950 OC Boost, 3GB GDDR5, Full Retail|€293.44
    ASUS DRW-24B5ST Retail|€20.02
    Samsung SSD 830 128GB SATA 6GB's Paper Box|€86.58
    WD Caviar Blue 1TB 6Gb's|€67.86
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W|€54.05
    BitFenix Ghost Midi-Tower black, ohne Netzteil|€89.73
    Thermalright True Spirit 120|€25.97
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155|€208.05
    ASRock Z77 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€86.09
    MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SB-Version Englisch|€85.04
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€1084.96

Silent case, best CPU for gaming in it's class, strong motherboard, 128GB SSD, 1TB HDD, near-silent CPU cooler, Unbelievably strong GPU when overclocked, case built for silence etc.

By the way, you really should overclock. It's extremely easy these days, and it's extremely difficult to damage your components; if you do royally mess up they just shut down instead of breaking. You could see a massive jump in games performance if you do.

I have no monitor in that build, that's because I think you should get a Yamakasi Catleap monitor. They're 27" 2560x1440 IPS monitors from Korea, and cost around €300. There's a thread on this forum about it, too!

They're absolutely gorgeous :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Windows 8 is out on Friday.

Thanks for that Eboggles,

I have a question, if for instance I went with this build and decided at a later stage I wanted to upgrade to more powerful components,Could I do that?

• Advertisement

@ Cgarrad

With refernce to Windows 8.

Would it be likely that there will be gltiches or problems with Windows 8 when it comes out as there are with most things?

If Windows 7 is tried and tested,would it be better to go with that instead???

Would appreciate the advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Thanks for that Eboggles,

I have a question, if for instance I went with this build and decided at a later stage I wanted to upgrade to more powerful components,Could I do that?

Of course! It should be noted, though, that the components that I've selected are extremely powerful already :).

As for Windows 8, personally I wouldn't bother; Windows 7 is just fine so there's no real reason to jump ship just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

@ Cgarrad

With refernce to Windows 8.

Would it be likely that there will be gltiches or problems with Windows 8 when it comes out as there are with most things?

If Windows 7 is tried and tested,would it be better to go with that instead???

Would appreciate the advice :)

Using W8 for the last 4 months. One crash and it had been on a week ;)

Others will say not till Service pack 1 but I strongly suggest you skip 7.

As for upgrades I get a new board, ram and cpu every "tick" Intel do. (Google Intel tick tock)

Sell the board ram and cpu for about 60% of the new equipment so about €200 every 2 years for latest equipment.

Buy from http://www.hardwareversand.de

@ Cgarrad

Thanks for info

If anybody else has got any suggestions for my build,I would love to hear them.

As I say,this is all new to me so all info is appreciated.

It would be great to get a few different ideas of builds from different people,why they would use certain componenst and what components are best for which games,programs etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

If anybody else has got any suggestions for my build,I would love to hear them.

As I say,this is all new to me so all info is appreciated.

It would be great to get a few different ideas of builds from different people,why they would use certain componenst and what components are best for which games,programs etc.

I would strongly suggest you get Windows 7 and not 8. No reason to go to 8 and if you're used to windows Xp/Vista/7 8 is just a weird departure from it. Windows 8 metro interface is just horrible, in my opinion. Of course which ever one you go for will play games either way.

Eboggles build is what you should go for. If you're doing heavy Video Editing then an i7 would help but if you're not doing much editing then it's not worth it. The i7 has no benefits for gaming over the i5.

I have been researching a build with these componenst and I wouldd appreciate peoples advice on this choice.

Sorry I dont know how to make it smaller so it,s like the other posts(could someone please tell me how to do that also)

Thanks

HVR100CGDE Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1000 Watt 185,99 €

HV20CUIBDE Ultron Cardreader 75-in-1, intern, schwarz
    9,93 €

HV20CS39DE 16GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance Low Profile blau PC3-17066U CL11
    100,77 €

HV1031UADE ASUS HD7950-DC2T-3GD5-V2, AMD Radeon HD 7950, 3GB, PCI-Express
    302,87 €

HV33W7H6DE Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (SB-Version)
    82,35 €

HV1145UADE ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z, AM3, ATX
    205,79 €

HVZPCDE Rechner - Zusammenbau
    20,00 €

HV207GB4DE LG GH24NS bare schwarz
    19,12 €

HV20X815DE AMD FX-8150 Prozessor, Boxed, Sockel AM3+
    169,94 €

HV203I33DE IN WIN Dragon Rider Big Tower - black Mesh, ohne Netzteil
    114,36 €

HV12SN82DE Samsung SSD 830 256GB SATA 6GB's NB Upgrade Kit
    178,42 €

HV13SGB1DE Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB SATA 3 6GB/s
    65,92 €

HV30AC37DE ARCTIC COOLING CPU-Kühler Freezer 64 PRO
    17,46 €

HV23ADG7DE ASUS Xonar DG, PCI x1
    29,32 €

HV103AP3DE Akasa USB 3.0 PCIe Card mit 3 ext. Slots
    36,41 €

Has anyone got any opinions on this build list?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Steer clear of AMD's processors. Spec-wise, they sound nice, but they're horrible in comparison to anything comparable from Intel.

The 1kW PSU is complete overkill, and will end up being less efficient, as it's running at lower load the whole time. Also, for gaming, 16GB of RAM won't help you. You can only use so much, and most gamers are perfectly fine with 8.

Honestly, I'd stick with Eboggles' build, wouldn't change a think with it, except maybe that if you were going to overclock, step up to the Extreme4 board, as it tends to get better results than the Pro3. If you wanted you could add a bigger SSD, and maybe a better cooler or something (Have a look at Noctua's NH-D14).

@Serephucus

Ok will check that out.

Thanks for replying

@Serephucus

Also I want to use my PC for photoshop and video editing aswell as gaming and HD movies.

Will the previously proposed build be able to do all these things with ease.

I thought that with more cores and more ram I would be able to perform multiple tasks with ease and still have plenty of power.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

You will, yeah, but only to a point. It's not like opening Photoshop while you're gaming needs another 6GB of RAM and a bunch of cores or anything. 8GB should still be plenty for video, unless you're doing pretty heavy stuff, but that's up to you; RAM's pretty cheap. I'd still easily recommend Intel CPUs though. To give you an idea:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/434?vs=701

Beats it handily in almost everything, and doesn't require a €200 motherboard, and can be overclocked ridiculously high.

Advertisement