Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where's the best place in Waterford to buy an apartment?

Options
  • 24-10-2012 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

With prices for the apartments getting better, I’m considering buying one in Waterford city. I don’t live in Waterford so I’ve no idea which complexes are good. The possible options are: Саnada Square, Penrose Court, James Gate, Shandon Court, Adelphi Quay. Which of those are worth looking into and which are better to avoid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Hard to know, I presume you dont want to live there so as a rental you could consider more places. Personally I wouldn't try Adelphi Quay or Sctotch Quay as when I lived there 15 years ago I had terrible trouble with damp.

Maybe Railway Square and go after the student market?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Shandon court is a grand place. Nice and quiet and only a few minutes walk from town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Just wondering why Waterford ahead of other places if your not from here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

thomasm wrote: »

Guess there are no apartments in the cul de sac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I hear maritana gate is a great place, not sure if you can buy there but its definitely very secure, and central

• Advertisement

thomasm wrote: »

Why somewhere else and not Waterford then sure?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

err, Waterford has a very high unemployment rate,

Doesn't exactly make it attractive place over say any other city or town up and down the country that has a lower unemployment rate...just saying like..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Seems like plenty already available to rent at present and the high unemployment rate for a start

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Petey89

Stay away from penrose court, there cheap for a reason. riddled with damp badly insulated cant keep any heat. there also very noisey.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I hear maritana gate is a great place, not sure if you can buy there but its definitely very secure, and central

I'm sensing a hint of sarcasm in your post....

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    err, Waterford has a very high unemployment rate,

Doesn't exactly make it attractive place over say any other city or town up and down the country that has a lower unemployment rate...just saying like..

I imagine if someone is able to afford an apartment then they probably already have enough money in their pockets.

Just saying like, god I hate them 3 words haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Stay away from electric storage heating unless you won lotto. That should get your list shorter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I'm sensing a hint of sarcasm in your post....

I lived there for six months and never had a problem. In hindsight it may not be a great place to BUY an apartment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Hard to know, I presume you dont want to live there so as a rental you could consider more places. Personally I wouldn't try Adelphi Quay or Sctotch Quay as when I lived there 15 years ago I had terrible trouble with damp.

Maybe Railway Square and go after the student market?

Is the water pressure in railway square really low still?

didnt seem like a great development when i was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I didnt notice, but the parking situation was pretty crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I couldnt imagine any apts in waterford that were built in the boom to be of good quality!

Then theres the maintenance fees on top

Your best off buying a caravan and becoming a new age traveller live the life of reilly!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I couldnt imagine any apts in waterford that were built in the boom to be of good quality!

Then theres the maintenance fees on top

Your best off buying a caravan and becoming a new age traveller live the life of reilly!

I'd say it would be cool to be called a cream cracker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

This thread seems like the place to post this, even if the thread is a few weeks old.

Im not from Waterford but i have spent some time there over the years.

I have been browsing through some property for sale and came across this apartment located on Adelphi Quay - behind the Tower Hotel.

I know the general area in which it is located, but im just wondering does anyone have any feedback on the price/area etc.

http://www.halleygrace.com/view.php?pid=800&gid=1&cid=121

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Above looks really good to me .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Tom_Cruise wrote: »
    This thread seems like the place to post this, even if the thread is a few weeks old.

Im not from Waterford but i have spent some time there over the years.

I have been browsing through some property for sale and came across this apartment located on Adelphi Quay - behind the Tower Hotel.

I know the general area in which it is located, but im just wondering does anyone have any feedback on the price/area etc.

http://www.halleygrace.com/view.php?pid=800&gid=1&cid=121

They were sold originally for IR£ 48,000.00 if memory serves me right, so nothing wrong with the price if it is in good repair.

• Advertisement

wellboytoo wrote: »
    They were sold originally for IR£ 48,000.00 if memory serves me right, so nothing wrong with the price if it is in good repair.

The price listed is €59,000, so if your figure is correct, they've gone up in price or unless you meant they original sold for €480,000? Hardly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    The price listed is €59,000, so if your figure is correct, they've gone up in price or unless you meant they original sold for €480,000? Hardly.

No IR £ 48 k was the original price like I typed, I nearly bought one but backed out at the last minute , this is about 18 years ago, these units were the last units built by Mc's down there.
    They are exactly the same price today as the day they sold if you convert euro/IR£'s

I think that price might be a bit much in todays market for a flat in waterford, You could get a house for that now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Petey89 wrote: »
    I think that price might be a bit much in todays market for a flat in waterford, You could get a house for that now!

True, but where would it be, and what condition would it be in?

That apartment is in good nick, and it's in a mature, sought-after area of the city centre.

Listen to me... I should become an estate agent!!! :D

fricatus wrote: »
    True, but where would it be, and what condition would it be in?

That apartment is in good nick, and it's in a mature, sought-after area of the city centre.

Listen to me... I should become an estate agent!!! :D
    lol, there are places all over the city, I live in the city but I wouldnt know it that well, I just had a quick look on Daft, there are like 10 pages of properties in the city for under 75K most of which are in pretty good nick. A lot of them would have been lived in by old people by the looks of it and would be in mature areas of the city. If it was me buying a property id go for a house over a flat.

wellboytoo wrote: »
    No IR £ 48 k was the original price like I typed, I nearly bought one but backed out at the last minute , this is about 18 years ago, these units were the last units built by Mc's down there.
    They are exactly the same price today as the day they sold if you convert euro/IR£'s

Cheers for the clarification.

Advertisement