Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Wireless Routers one Home

• 24-10-2012 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi,

I'm sure the title hasn't explained the best! I have broadband in my home, my isp is Eircom. I have another building that was a shed about 15ft across the yard, this has been converted to what I would hope to be my office. In "my office" there is a telephone point where I had an additional phone. I want to move my pc, wireless printer etc out to this building. My question is, how can I connect my pc etc.. In other words extend my home network. I have a couple of wireless routers, so I'm wondering if it's possible to just connect an additional router to the access point in the office? Or do I need to run a network cable from one router to the other? Or is there an additional alternative? The router in the house is located on the far side to the shed, so wi fi plugs (extenders etc) aren't really an option. I'd really appreciate any info or help on this, I'm finished clearing out the office and I'm ready for the move ;)

please help!! :confused:

Regards,
    Gary

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Presuming your Eircom router(Any make) Is a ADSL which has the main telephone line plugged into it. You can attach any plug in and play router onto it simply running a Ethernet cable from the ADSL router to your second router providing the second router does not require a telephone line plugged into the back of it. You can then attach your Ethernet cable from your computer to the router in your shed. and extend your home network out there.

you can pick up a 15 or 20 meter ethernet cable on ebay for very little. if you require holes drilled im sure someone can do that. i installed few of these cables myself simply running them through the attic and out to the shed.

a direct hard line connection from the shed router to the DSL is easier than setting up the WiFi plugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 DJDOO

Jhcx wrote: »
    Presuming your Eircom router(Any make) Is a ADSL which has the main telephone line plugged into it. You can attach any plug in and play router onto it simply running a Ethernet cable from the ADSL router to your second router providing the second router does not require a telephone line plugged into the back of it. You can then attach your Ethernet cable from your computer to the router in your shed. and extend your home network out there.

you can pick up a 15 or 20 meter ethernet cable on ebay for very little. if you require holes drilled im sure someone can do that. i installed few of these cables myself simply running them through the attic and out to the shed.

a direct hard line connection from the shed router to the DSL is easier than setting up the WiFi plugs.

Firstly thank you very much for your reply..
    Secondly...Can I ask, if I've a second eircom router could that act as a plug and play modem??

Also do I need to buy a higher grade Ethernet cable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

DJDOO wrote: »
    Firstly thank you very much for your reply..
    Secondly...Can I ask, if I've a second eircom router could that act as a plug and play modem??

Also do I need to buy a higher grade Ethernet cable?

If its a DSL one u would have to configure it to bypass the telephone section of it. I dont know anything bout that side of the router. but its what ive been told when i had plans to do something similar.

TBH i dont know but im guessing the quality of the line would probably have a impact on the speeds being transferred. the cable i linked above is what i used and honestly i cant say ive noticed a reduction between the main ADSL router and my plug in and play router. which i use for gaming and TV. So if its office work and emails and stuff i wouldn't say you would have to go for a high quality one. but that's everyone's own preference. like your going to pay more and for that much cable you might be paying a high price which i dont think is worth it. I paid €12 once for a meter or 2 from Tesco cant say i notice any difference from the ones they supply with a router, or the 20 meter one for €4

Advertisement