Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Age you were when last asked for ID

• 24-10-2012 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

What age were you when last asked for ID in Ireland? (Be it walking into a pub/club or buying booze) I was 23 in both cases.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

around 22. thats 9 years ago now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I was 27.
    I am 27.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

around 22. thats 9 years ago now :(

hate that.
    last week in tescos, i was 23.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Some time last year I think, so I was 26

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Last week.

Not telling what age I am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

On my 32nd birthday going into the bodega in cork ... Everyone thought it hilarious ... Except me....:)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Hardly ever stopped when i was under 18. Got stopped more when i was 19-21. Last time would have been around 25, i looked at the bouncer and i think he realised it was a stupid question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

6 years ago when I was 25 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I'm too old, I can't remember.... :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Twice in two weeks.

• Advertisement

29 in tesco, and 29 in a pub in Cork - the bouncer told me I was very "fresh faced"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I'm 28 and I got asked this year in Tesco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

26 in Tesco a few months ago where i always get ID'd, but anywhere else its been at least 3 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I look about 18. 21 at most. So I'm told on a very regular basis.
    I'm equally regularly told how it's a good thing - it's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭Fungums

Never got asked when i was under 18, since then every time i buy fags or drink. Younger it seems im getting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

During the summer aged 38 but I suppose you need a passport for flying to America.

seriously though about 4 years ago when a new bouncer started work at a local pub and he checked everyones ID.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I've been asked for ID about 5 times in the past few months. I'm 25 \0/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Last week buying alcohol in Aldi Blackpool in Cork. And I'm 41 and bald!

Was quite flattered!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

26. It was a last-minute decision to pop to the pub and I was dressed casual and wearing no make-up. Dressing up/make-up may make women look better but they can also make us look older. How else could I have gotten into pubs at 15/16? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I was asked a few months ago in Supervalu by some blind gob****e.

I'm 23.

I mean, fair enough, with women and makeup it's sometimes hard to tell but confusing a 23 year old man for a 17 year old is breathtakingly stupid.

I'd nearly rather if everywhere always asked ID regardless of age. Stop underagers buying drink directly and don't single people out and make them feel like children when you're the moron with the ****ty eyesight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

29/30 in Ireland. Mid 20's in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

When i was 14, about a week ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Gbear wrote: »
    I was asked a few months ago in Supervalu by some blind gob****e.

I'm 23.

I mean, fair enough, with women and makeup it's sometimes hard to tell but confusing a 23 year old man for a 17 year old is breathtakingly stupid.

I'd nearly rather if everywhere always asked ID regardless of age. Stop underagers buying drink directly and don't single people out and make them feel like children when you're the moron with the ****ty eyesight.
    Thing is, it most likely isn't his fault. In places like that it can often be store policy, so while it is idiotic, it is so on the part of the store, not the employee alot of the time.

Gbear wrote: »
    Nah some 23-year-olds are very babyfaced and don't age much from 17. And to an old person there definitely wouldn't seem much or any difference. Nowadays people look younger than their counterparts decades ago anyway - easier lives and whatnot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

I was 23, and it was during ragweek. Was asked for I.D. in a Superquinn's.

I had no identification on me, so I had to ask an 18 year old that was with me to buy my beer. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Everytime I buy booze in the US and I'm getting pretty grey.

Was made to go stand in a fenced off area at two music festivals this year.
    Great fun having a pint staring out across at my daughter through a fence so we could chat whilst I drank, felt like it was visiting time at the local penitentiary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

36, buying cigarettes at a petrol station. I laughed. He apologised when he realised how ancient I was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

32 in Dunne's Stores, buying a bottle of wine.

Degag wrote: »
    Thing is, it most likely isn't his fault. In places like that it can often be store policy, so while it is idiotic, it is so on the part of the store, not the employee alot of the time.

That'd be fine except my two friends who were with me who are 22 and 20 and generally look younger than me were right next to me and weren't asked.

I was completely baffled. I was like, "Really? And not those guys?".

I could be 21. I might even be 19. But in order to be 17 I'd have to be a serial growth hormone abuser or something.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mid thirties. In a supermarket, buying wine. I told them I was flattered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

The outlaw wrote: »
    What age were you when last asked for ID in Ireland? (Be it walking into a pub/club or buying booze) I was 23 in both cases.

21 years young and still asked. Especially since I lost the old push broom moustache.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Back when I first shaved my beard off when I was 21.

22 now and I don't drink so...

I'm not gonna buy cans just for the sake of this topic!

How old did he look Gbear? An older person wouldn't always have a clue. 23 really isn't that adult looking!

I've friends in their early 30s who look about 25 so imagine them when they were 23. It's genuinely hard to tell at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Was asked about 3 weeks ago.....im 30 :D Made my night!!

I always find it funny that people get annoyed at being asked for ID!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I'm 50 now, but back in the day, I was never refused entry to a pub or disco (we had them in the 70's). I was over 6ft tall from the age of 13, so that helped.

However, just to give a different slant on things, I was constantly asked to 'prove my age' when trying to get in to Lansdowne Road on a schoolboy ticket to watch Ireland play. Always mortifying. I mean, how many people carry documents to prove they are under 16 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,052 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

at 30 after breakin up with the missus, i wasnt best pleased!

Madam_X wrote: »
    How old did he look? An older person wouldn't always have a clue. 23 really isn't that mature looking!

I wouldn't mind if it was store policy and I wouldn't really have minded if I had my ID in my pocket, but I had to go back out to my car to get my driving license and my two baby-faced friends stood there looking slightly embarrassed.

The cashier was a woman under 30.

Somewhat humorously my sister was asked for ID at Tesco last year. She's 28.
    She had a bottle of wine along with the normal weekly shopping - probably over €100 of groceries. She didn't have any on her. Again, the total lack of common sense used pissed her right off - she looks pretty young but she's 28 and it's not like she was getting a slab o' nagguns but just a bottle of wine with her groceries. Would a 17 year old spend 100 quid just to get a bottle of wine?

So she just said "**** this", left the shopping at the checkout and went to Dunnes instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Whenever I get IDed I'm like ah fcuk sake why would they bother.... then i remember that I'm actually 17 and forgive them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

In Ireland, I was 17.

Late 20's now and Got asked in California this year (everyone gets carded though) and NYC once, which I was surprised by(and I didnt have any with me, talked my way in)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I always find it funny that people get annoyed at being asked for ID!
    Shows a lack of maturity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I'm nearly 24, I still get asked for ID every time I buy smokes and in every bar I go to, unless I know the barstaff or bouncers.

I remember being asked for ID a few months ago in town when I was buying smokes. I happened to not have any on me, and just said 'Er no, I don't carry ID,' the guy behind the counter asked how old I was. I said 'Twenty three but it's fine, I know I need ID with me,' and then he apologised and told me I look so young, and served me the smokes with another apology. That was pretty nice.

I don't mind being asked for ID, makes me feel even younger. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

31. it was one of the very few times that i had my driving licence on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I have a beard since I was a child and people with beards never get asked for ID.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

28 at Tesco. Thankfully I'd the passport with me or I'd have to come up with a different plan. Brother thought it was a great laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

kincsem wrote: »

were you looking for the old person discount on Tuesdays in Homebase? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

About three weeks ago, in Tesco. I was unable to produce one.

I'm 17 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

Well I'm only 18 so I haven't stopped getting asked for it yet. I constantly get told I look 15/16 so it's nice the odd time when I don't get asked for it! I've been in a shop before with my friend who's 26 and he was asked for it, it's stupid 'cause he clearly doesn't look 17 or under, he just said ''I don't have ID on me but I'm 26'' and the guy served him anyway. I get that people who work in shops need to do their job but in fairness they need to use a bit more common sense sometimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Boscoirl wrote: »
    were you looking for the old person discount on Tuesdays in Homebase? :P
    No. I wanted to look at someone else's bank account. You can do that if you're old.

• Advertisement
Advertisement