Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Age you were when last asked for ID

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I haven't been asked for ID in Ireland for quite some time.

I did get asked in Walmart in the US last year when I was picking up a sneaky 6 pack of Sam Adams. Gave the drooling mess behind the till my driving licence and explained that the date & month were in reverse order to the US norm.

She stared at it vacantly for about 30 seconds before saying "it's backwards...."

I replied saying, "yes, backwards like I explained. Regardless, the year is still the fcuking year".

This is a terrible story. Sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Last weekend.

Must have a baby face :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

I was forty but it was in America and they were checking everyone because the cops had given them a hard time not long previously. I was delighted.

On the other hand given the above, some female friends of mine were refused because the girl in the supermarket wouldn't accept the Irish driving licence. So I bought their beer.

Never being 'carded' in Ireland. But been refused entry because I was too old.

Now that is really annoying.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

Earlier this year when I was 30. Fairly shocked, as I was also wearing a suit at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I'm 23 and I still get asked for it all the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Saturday Night in the village - im 30 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭LisaLee

25. I've only just turned 25, but I still get asked for ID on occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

never been asked in galway, been going to pubs/offies since 17 or even late 16.

first time i was in cork with the girlfriend, went to a little pub, middle of the day both of us got pints but i didnt have an ID. i opened my wallet to see if i had anything else.

pulled out my medical card which had my name (irish) and date of birth. but no picture.
    then pulled out my safe pass card which had my name (english) and my picture but not my date of birth.

it took awhile for me to tell her the story. it was embarrising. she started laughing. properly never had to deal with someone like that before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

In Ireland? 26, was buying one of those small bottles of red wine for cooking purposes.

Last time I was ID'd for drink was in London a month before my 28th birthday, watching the Champions League final in a pub and got ID'd when I went to get extra pints for extra time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Am late 20's and generally stopped getting asked around 23ish.

But fucking lidl :mad: .. If I am on my own, then no problem. But if my girlfriend (whose only a couple of years younger than me) is with me at the till they ask her for ID :rolleyes: Even tho the money is in my hand. Its my purchase. Of course I say alcohol is for me (which it is, shes not much of a drinker) they still refuse me on ground that I am with her :rolleyes:

Never happens anywhere else. Only Lidl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Used to get asked when I was 18, not since then though. I'm 22 now and I obviously look older... Damn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

29. Dont some of those notices say the ask if you might be under 23 or some age like that giving themselves a margin for error?

Is it creepy if someone looks ten yrs younger than they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

only place ever was America. And I was 'way past 21'. very weird. but then again...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Am late 20's and generally stopped getting asked around 23ish.

But fucking lidl :mad: .. If I am on my own, then no problem. But if my girlfriend (whose only a couple of years younger than me) is with me at the till they ask her for ID :rolleyes: Even tho the money is in my hand. Its my purchase. Of course I say alcohol is for me (which it is, shes not much of a drinker) they still refuse me on ground that I am with her :rolleyes:

Never happens anywhere else. Only Lidl.
    that's a 'where's the manager!' moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Rev.Sulphur

A pub I was frequently going too. Out of the blue the bouncer who talked to me many times asked me for I.D I was 25 and had none on me. He made me go back home and get it or I wasn't going in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

25. Slatterys, Rathmines, Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

Two weeks ago, and was subsequently not allowed in because i didn't have any on me, i'm 31. Best compliment ever and the bouncers were a bit bemused when i shook both of their hands after refusing me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Every.single.time. It was my 29th birthday last week(happy birthday me) and the day before I went to Aldi to stock up on cheap wine. Tnhere is a guy who works there who is a dickhead always looks at id and asks my name and DOB., but is "super friendly" you know the type. The asshole didnt even wish me happy birthday though:(

I wont even go the shops for smokes unless I have id as I get asked every time.

I have asked strangers how old they think I look and get ranges between 16 and 21.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭marky1905

26 in sainsburys NI, dont mind as long as i've got ID on me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Today in an email from a Tunisian man. He wants to send me his Money, because his family are squabbling over their inheritance, and he is dying. He also asked me to send my bank account details along with my passport. I scanned it in originally, but he wanted me to post it. I hope to God he sends it back before i go on holidays.

I'll probably end up spending some of his money to pay for the change of flights if he doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

ArtSmart wrote: »
    that's a 'where's the manager!' moment.

You are right. Ahhh, I guess I've been too soft.
    But **** it. If it happens again I will call the manager. Don't care if I make a scene or hold people up in the que. Thanks Art.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It's so long ago I can't really remember but I think it was when I was about 20 so 17 years ago.

I guess they are stricter on younger looking people these days as a person could loose their license for serving under 18s.

I'm amazed reading this that people would still be asked for ID in their late 20s or early 30s though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Tonight in the Globe, I'm 22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

ScumLord wrote: »
    I have a beard since I was a child and people with beards never get asked for ID.

they do in the states, my friend is in his 30s with a beard and greying hair, 6'5 tall and was asked for id in miami this past april

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭pmurphy00

oldyouth wrote: »
    I was over 6ft tall from the age of 13

same as, and shaving at 13 too!
    18 in ireland havn't been asked since.i've looked late 20's for the past 15 years:D:D:D
    22 in canada buying fags very funny kid around 18 wouldnt sell em to me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

I nearly had a Tena lady moment about 2 months ago when I got asked for ID for my bottle of pinot grigio.
    I'm 38!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Probably about a year and a half, so when I was 21.

People also regularly comment that I look like I'm in my mid-late 20s.

Not sure if I should be getting worried or not. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

Around the time I turned 26. Once buying booze (which I can vaguely understand) another time I was just buying a dvd!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Buying cigarettes here in Australia, I got asked for ID at 27. Same with entering a few different clubs. They're a lot more strict here, but I still couldn't help but say "You really thing I'm 10 years younger than I am?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

a few weeks back was asked for ID while buying smokes. I was holding my car keys and so i pointed out that I had my car with me which means im more than likely over 18. im actually 27 and look atleast 30! the funny thing was, the lad behind the counter was only about 17 himself and had a squeeky voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

I'm 33 and I honestly can't remember the last time I was asked for ID.
    It could have been when I was in the states 12 years ago. I know I was then but can't remember if I was since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Tuesday. I was/am 21.

You are right. Ahhh, I guess I've been too soft.
    But **** it. If it happens again I will call the manager. Don't care if I make a scene or hold people up in the que. Thanks Art.

Could your girlfriend not just bring ID? Seeing as you know it happens every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

A few weeks ago and I'm 27 :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

28 And always asked for ID

Few weeks back they wouldnt sell me a box of matches in the shop as i wasnt old enough :o

Madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I don't go clubbing,

but in pubs, last time was 23.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

A while back i was refused an 18s movie in hmv because I didnt have I.d. Im 22.that guy was a loser.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭trinz23

When I was 22 buying booze from Tesco in Manchester.

Was told only the other day that I look great for 29......I'm 24 :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

Got asked in Tesco a few weeks back, I'm 24. Girl at the till got pretty embarrassed and revealed I was actually a couple of years older than her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

and look it.

I think it has died out again now though, it got to be a pain and we complained.

It all started a couple of months ago as my wife returned from Alsi with the weekly beer, she was beaming as the checkout guy had asked her for ID for age reasons. :) and no, she is not a 15 year old trophy wife!

Anyway, we investigated and the manager told us it was become policy to routinely ask every alcohol purchaser for ID.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

25.... and I'm still 25.

Recently myself and my boyfriend were in a Super Valu in town and wanted to pick up a few beers for that night. The guy refused to serve us, despite me having my driving license with me as it is "not acceptable ID". I can understand if he was actually skeptical about our age, but come on, we're both 25!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭ec18

19/20 in most places......every time i got into Tesco .....currently 24

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

21 last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

haven't been asked for ID since i was about 19 or 20, even when i was 17 i rarely got asked i always looked older than my age. But my girlfriend got asked for ID not that long ago buying smokes and she is 29

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Today. I was opening a new bank account first thing this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Got asked for I.D. in the pub last weekend, I'll be 29 in December!

Advertisement