Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your longest running game.

Options
  • 24-10-2012 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to see how long anyone has managed to keep a single game of FM going. And, does anybody know if the game stops eventually.

The last FM I played regularly was '09 and now, the odd time that I fancy a game, I load up the old save. It's now in 2074 and I'm 100 years old (and have been for the last 3 years).

So, will I die eventually? Or, will the game just keep going? Does anyone have any experience they can share?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,868 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Haha, that's brilliant! I think for as long as Alex Ferguson is Untied manager, then that's the age you can reach. The age he retires at will be the cut off point for FM forever after.

There should be (and there might be already) an option to create another manager that can come in and continue your game.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Jarrod

I'm sure Fergie's long since departed. Darren Bent was the last great British manager, managing a great Barca side, before retiring. I assume they eventually start to run out of regens. As an aside, the only person near me on the Hall of Fame is Bobby Convey. He managed USA to a World Cup and the great Man City side of the '50s that beat all before them.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭JessePinkman

Bent as manager gas!! Can you tell us more of how footie was the last 50 yrs..What should we expect in the future :)...How are Ireland doing?

Nobody will believe this but 30 years to the day after Thierry Henry, Ireland were beaten in a play off at the Stade de France thanks to a goal which was clearly offside in the 7th minute of stoppage time. But make up for it at Euro 44 thanks largely to Bohs who churn out at least 3 quality youngsters every year but let them go to Championship clubs for peanuts.

Atletico Madrid will dominate the '60s, the only time I could beat them in 35 years as Rangers manager was on pens in the '71 Champions League final.

Scotland will have a golden generation in the '30s and the makings of another in the early '70s. Whilst neither Wales nor Northern Ireland have qualified for a single tournament.

And, Mael Guidoni will go down as the greatest player of all time. A free scoring CM, signed by West Brom from Montpellier at 19 he won a League Cup and guided the Baggies to the FA Cup final in his first season before being snapped up by Real Madrid for €42.5m. Numerous La Liga and Champions League titles later he finds himself as assistant manager at Newcastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,816 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Do transfer prices go up to match inflation? Are small time Irish players worth €10,000,000 or more?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

That sounds amazing in fairness. I think the longest ive ever played a game was in FM 06. Played about maybe mre than 10 seasons with Cork City. I had competely dominated Irish football by the tenth year and was regularly qualifying for the champions league but since in that game the league rep wouldnt go up it was harder to progress any further than that with the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

The farthest I have gone is in my current Crawley Town game (which I'm playing as I type). It's January 2027.

France won the 2026 World Cup, with Crawley's 31 year old legendary striker, Robin Moreau, leading the way for them and winning World Player of the Year and World Golden Ball as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Longest I've ever gone was 17 seasons with West Ham in FM11.

Got them up after 3 years, in that 3 years I lost a League Cup to Spurs.

First season back finished 14th, second season narrowly avoided relegation.

I managed to steadily improve the side until about 12 years in I was getting top 8 fairly easily, couldnt break into the top 4.

Best finish was 5th, lost out on 4th by 4 points in the end to Everton in 2025.

Won 1 FA cup, 2 League Cups and made a QF of the Europa League going out to AC Milan who won it after been knocked out of the Champions League.

Good memories of that game, very frustrating at times trying to sign players but after about 7 years more funds became available, due to better finishes in the league and the odd cup run.

Cant wait for FM13 :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,253 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

i got to 2032 in FM08 i think, before i upgraded to fm12.
    Ive still got that game saved somewhere, along with fm08, might fire it back up and see how it was, and if i can continue going

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Jarrod wrote: »
    Just wanted to see how long anyone has managed to keep a single game of FM going. And, does anybody know if the game stops eventually.

The last FM I played regularly was '09 and now, the odd time that I fancy a game, I load up the old save. It's now in 2074 and I'm 100 years old (and have been for the last 3 years).

So, will I die eventually? Or, will the game just keep going? Does anyone have any experience they can share?

What does it say for your addictiveness rating in the game status?

• Advertisement

I started with Rangers, built a quality team with the likes of Rodney Sneijder, Willians Santana, John Fleck and Danielle Vantagiatto. Dominated Scotland for 8 years but closest I came in Europe was a UEFA Cup SF loss to Atletico (a Forlan hat trick). Anyway I got bored and moved to Villa who I got relegated. Career spiralled downwards including spells with West Brom, Motherwell and Czech Republic. In the meantime Ched Evans was managing my great Rangers side. He destroyed the team I built and had them struggling to get into Europe.

I was raging, seeing all my hard work undone so set about trying to get back to Rangers with the goal of winning the Champions League. I eventually made it to Arsenal in 2028. Consistent top 4 but no silverware. Spells at Man United and Real Madrid followed with 3 CL wins. Anyway the Rangers job became available 6 times but they never hired me. Until 2045/46 when they took me back. I built up another team, a mix of young Scottish talent and Elzar (Spanish RB) and Renato (Brazilian CF) who'd go on to be the all time league appearance and scoring record holder respectively. 2057 ended with a UEFA Cup final loss to Napoli and in 2059 I lost the CL final to Chelsea, the winner scored by Billy Mann, a product of my youth team that the chairman sold against my will.

Atletico knocked me out 4 times in the '60s, and in my entire Rangers career they were the only team I played that I never beat. Until the '71 CL final. A 1-1 draw and a win on pens. So finally at the age of 100, I fulfilled my dream which you'd think would be enough but no. 3 years later I'm still going.

And, no transfer fees haven't gone too wild but some of the wages are crazy, I'm on 325k a week.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

I dunno what my longest game would be but in fm12 this would be.
    I gave the San Marino challenege a go but gave up pretty much when my star player retired for the national team that is.
    benedetto.png

Once I was about 15-20 years into the game I had pretty much stopped playing and was just hitting the space bar while I either watched tv or was playing some other game.
    Tried to give as many san marino youngsters games in my 1st team squads(even cost me the league 1 year) but I rarely got any one decent coming true.I got about 2 players from youth academy over the entire game that would have been good enough for my 1st team and about 5-6 who would have been good enough for the national team(who I played for the club too)
    league.png
    I would have started winning the league earlier if only for a few things,1 of the main ones being the board insisting on remaining at 3500 seater stadium even though I was in europe,had the money and had been in serie A for years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Made it to 2050 or so with Celano. Sadly I can't play it any more. Any time I try to load it it just says save can't be loaded. It was devastating. I had an 18 year old with over 100 appearances for the club and at least 50 goals. He coulda been a contender.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Longest game I ever had started with spurs in FM 00/01 if i remember correctly.

Stayed with the yiddos for 7/8 seasons winning a couple of league titles and one champions league. Francesco Totti was my main man at the heart of my free scoring 3-5-2 formation. Ended up scoring 56 goals in our champions league winning campaign.

After that moved onto roma, bayern and then sunderland. That was my last league title and went back to spurs afterwards. My team had been completely gutted out years earlier and my motivation for the game seriously waned.

In total i think it went for 18 years or so

I'm in 2026 now with Waterford but I think my Luton Town team on FM10 was longer. Not too sure...

The Premier League in 2074 and Luca Giorgetti, the man I passed up the chance to sign on a free at the age of 16 from Stuttgarter Kickers.FM 2074.jpg

FM 2074 (2).jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,253 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Natural Fitness of 6?
    Pass...

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭louthguy25

My current Sunderland game is my longest yet im 14 seasons in and have won the league several times along with 2 CLs 5 in a row with charity shield and several league/fa cups. Im now 200 odd million in debt and still in trouble. Iv only signed 2 players in 3 season costing 30 million in total and sold 70 million worth of players and shifted others out on free to get the wages down and im still over 20 million more a year than other teams which i cant figure out. Im on verge of walking out and seeing who wants me

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I'm in 2026 now with Waterford but I think my Luton Town team on FM10 was longer. Not too sure...

How's that panning out? Dominating Irish football I presume, but are you making a dent on Europe or have many players in the Irish squad?

Dominating everything domestically. The challenge is gone from it in that regard.

I had 6 or 7 Irish internationals but three of them were foreigners who gained citizenship and declared for Ireland. The pool of Irish players doesn't really get any better.

I still have to win in Europe but my club rep has improved and the league rep has increased. It's in the top 20 in the world I think. I'm stuck in a limbo in Europa coz I'm too good in the groups but not good enough in the knockout. Just got knocked out by Manchester United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Dominating everything domestically. The challenge is gone from it in that regard.

I had 6 or 7 Irish internationals but three of them were foreigners who gained citizenship and declared for Ireland. The pool of Irish players doesn't really get any better.

I still have to win in Europe but my club rep has improved and the league rep has increased. It's in the top 20 in the world I think. I'm stuck in a limbo in Europa coz I'm too good in the groups but not good enough in the knockout. Just got knocked out by Manchester United.

I wonder has anyone ever started in the lower leagues of English football and tried to progress using only Irish players? Maybe that would improve the national team if you could get them to the premier league. Sounds tough, but I'd love to try it.

L'prof wrote: »
    I wonder has anyone ever started in the lower leagues of English football and tried to progress using only Irish players? Maybe that would improve the national team if you could get them to the premier league. Sounds tough, but I'd love to try it.

On my game, Bohs have at least 2 top class youngsters coming through every year. Inevitably they move to Scotland for a year or two then to the Premiership. Ireland have won 2 Euros both 30 years ago though, we always qualify but haven't got close to a WC win.

Slightly random but FM tells me that I have saved my Waterford game 5999 times!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Slightly random but FM tells me that I have saved my Waterford game 5999 times!

What is your autosave set to?

Daily

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

CM97/98 I played for about 20 seasons if I recall... That was the essentially the entirity of 6th year... Don't know how I didn't fail the Leaving Cert!

I'm still playing Fm2010, I pick up the bug for a few months here and there. Was in NZ since September last year and travelled around, with the laptop, so had a save with Crystal Palace that went to 2019. Then the battery died and corrupted the file.

Started again with Newcastle in the Championship and have this team at the moment... Have won everything since 2011, and I mean everything!! Also including the World Cup in Brazil with Brazil! They sacked the manager after losing the opening group game to the US so I took over, won the thing and resigned straight away!

2015.JPG

And best of the last 6 seasons...

alltime.jpg

Just about to start a new season.

Got Messi for a steal after he got homesick while at Barcelona or something. Whatever happened he was dropped for 6 months and I got him for around €40m + Jónas.... Fair trade! Hahaha!

Lavezzi is the real star. He scored over a goal a game in his second season. He was the second 'glamour signing' for me, in 2011 season. Sessengon was the first and he's still a useful player to have. I alternate between Messi, Robben and Sessengon as the Trequartista behind the front two.

Also Aaron Spear there was on loan at Barnsley, had a stormer of a season, came back when Dzeko got injured. Champions League final, Messi is having a nightmare, so I take him off, stick in Spear and put Neymar behind the front two. 117th minute, on the break, Sessengon latches onto a clearance and plays Spear through... Keeper comes out and Spear just slots it in from 25 yards... Roy of the Rovers stuff... In true 'I will never grow up' fashion I punched the air and imagined all the puns on the back pages the next day!

spear.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I'm in 2038 with York city in FM12

Got to the CL final once and the semis a couple of times, a few fa cups, league cups and Europa leagues to my name. But the EPL has evaded. FInished second at least 3 times (once on goals for)

I've got a regen to be record appearance maker (750) and goals (225 odd) for the club, he's retiring at 40 at the end of the season. Kind of in the scholes mode, he started as a SC but I retrained him as a DLP to prolong his career. Capped only the once for england (which probably helped his cause)

My youth team wins the u-18 league most years and I've produced quite a few england internationals.

Onto my second new stadium this year. I genuinely want to win the EPL this year to give a winners medal to that regen guy I mentioned earlier. He must be the only guy ever to play in the Blue Square North and the champions league final!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Max Power1 wrote: »
    He must be the only guy ever to play in the Blue Square North and the champions league final!

How was he good enough to move up that much or did you just stick with him regardless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    How was he good enough to move up that much or did you just stick with him regardless?

Good question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I suspect FMTE

Advertisement