Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ground floor privacy...suggestions?

Options
  • 24-10-2012 10:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've just moved into a ground floor apartment. It's next to the building entrance so people must walk by my bedroom window to enter. Obviously this means they can peer in when the curtains are open.

This is a bit of a nuisance and I was wondering is there anything I can do to give me more privacy?

I don't want to use net curtains as they are best left back in the 70s.

Can you get something to put on the window to allow sunlight in but prevent people from seeing anything? Or is that just for cars? It would only be needed for the bottom two squares of the window!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Something like this might work http://windowfilm.ie/?gclid=CLmXodLSmrMCFRFN4Qod0mgApA BUT check out the development rules, as using such film would alter the external appearance of the building and may not be permitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,946 ✭✭✭✭listermint

one way glass film would be closer to the mark

http://www.windowfilm.com/Objectives/privacy.html

dark outside bright in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Voile panels are a modern alternative to fussy nets. Ikea do some lovely ones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Thanks for your help...will get onto windowfilm.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but did you end up doing this with the windows and what is your opinion of it? I am tending towards net curtains myself (privacy issues, ground floor apartment) but if you had an update on this itd be great?

• Advertisement

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but did you end up doing this with the windows and what is your opinion of it? I am tending towards net curtains myself (privacy issues, ground floor apartment) but if you had an update on this itd be great?

Hi, I got guys to come out and put that frosted film on the windows. You can buy the film and do it yourself but I'm crap at that kind of stuff so I paid 50e for the lads to do it.

I got windows of both bedrooms done, just two of 3 pains each. I left the top pain free to be able to see out. There is complete privacy but the sunshine still gets in.

I am extremely happy with it. There is no bubbles at all in it (which no doubt I would have made) and it looks very neat and professional.

The two windows cost me 130e including labour.

Personally I think net curtains are very old fashioned.

Thanks a mill for the update! Yeah I hear you on the net curtains, tbh I was trying to sort a quick cheap(ish) solution.

Ill have a think about it over the weekend. Is it very noticable from the outside - Im not sure the management company would allow it - but if it was just unnoticed..... :)

Thanks a mill for the update! Yeah I hear you on the net curtains, tbh I was trying to sort a quick cheap(ish) solution.

Ill have a think about it over the weekend. Is it very noticable from the outside - Im not sure the management company would allow it - but if it was just unnoticed..... :)

It's 100% internal. Management have no say in the matter. Nothing has been said to me, surely everybody is entitled to privacy, particularly in their bedroom. People have to walk right past my window to enter the building, even with net curtains or venetian blinds they could peer in. Now I can have the curtains open and lie on my bed in total comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Would venetian blinds be a solution if they are slightly turned in the downward position towards the window? This means you still have good visibility looking out while making it difficult for someone to look in unless they really pressed their face against the window. You may have to compromise having a little less light coming in however. They look a lot better than net curtains also.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

We got voile curtains in Penneys for about a tenner a pop that looks grand and do a good job of giving privacy. Good cheaper option, plus a lot of management companies will not take kindly to you changing the exterior look of the apartment and will not allow a solution as ebixa has suggested (even if they are stuck internally).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

djimi wrote: »
    We got voile curtains in Penneys for about a tenner a pop that looks grand and do a good job of giving privacy. Good cheaper option, plus a lot of management companies will not take kindly to you changing the exterior look of the apartment and will not allow a solution as ebixa has suggested (even if they are stuck internally).

Slight O/T but think about it.. it's a ridiculous situation that some (generally) faceless "management company" can dictate to you what you can and can't do with your own property because of the Irish obsession with "looking good" when it comes to houses.

I too am in a ground floor apt and while there's net curtains at the front that do the job, the rear windows are exposed to anyone who happens to be in the shared common area. A lot of the other apartments have similar window film as linked above so I think I may just get that company in too as I value my stuff (which can clearly be seen in the front room) a lot more than some busybody's asthetics OCD.

It is ridiculous to be honest. An apartment building is a functional object, and lets fact it most of them are not exactly pretty to start with! Obviously nobody wants to live in a complete dive, and I dont mind certain restrictions, but too often these restrictions do not take into account the fact that people are actually trying to live their lives in these buildings, and its not just about maintaining some postcard perfect exterior image.

Thanks all.

Ongarboy, I actually just don't like Venetian blinds. Pricey too. A lot of people do have them though.

Djimi, that's great info, I'll check out Penneys.

Kaiser, I am the mgt company, well part of it, I don't mind reasonable rules. I think what ebixa says is totally correct though. It's the same way they couldn't complain if I displayed an ugly flower arrangement in the window, it's inside.

The only thing putting me off the window film is that I like the option of moving a net curtain to the side and being able to see out properly.

The issue I have is that local 'undesirables' have been coming around recently in the day time walking through a back common garden and looking in windows. I've been here several years with no issues, this may be a temporary problem.

Thanks again, any more ideas welcome.

The only thing putting me off the window film is that I like the option of moving a net curtain to the side and being able to see out properly.

That's true if it is the living room you are concerned with. For me it was the bedroom so I didn't mind not being able to see out. It was way more important that someone couldn't see in.

Remember you don't have to get the entire window frosted, just up to eye level so you still get natural light in and are able to see how crap the weather is outside.

ebixa82 wrote: »
    That's true if it is the living room you are concerned with. For me it was the bedroom so I didn't mind not being able to see out. It was way more important that someone couldn't see in.

Remember you don't have to get the entire window frosted, just up to eye level so you still get natural light in and are able to see how crap the weather is outside.

Yeah I understand, I have a front window and then a back bedroom window and a back room thats used as a study with large patio doors. Lately we find ourselves leaving the back curtains (as in, heavy night curtains) closed all the time to prevent people looking in. Its more security than privacy really.

In theory no one but the neighbours should be in the common garden area - its private property. And even if there are people there - there is a pavement a good bit back from my windows so no one should be close enough to look in properly - but unfortunately its happening that certain people are coming around and walking right up to the building. I got a terrible fright the other day when I glanced up from changing the bedclothes and there were two young guys staring right in at me.

Kaiser, I am the mgt company, well part of it, I don't mind reasonable rules. I think what ebixa says is totally correct though. It's the same way they couldn't complain if I displayed an ugly flower arrangement in the window, it's inside.

Dont be so sure about that! I have heard of management companies banning clothes horses being positioned such that they can be seen from the outside. Dont assume you have total control over what goes on inside your apartment!

Dont be so sure about that! I have heard of management companies banning clothes horses being positioned such that they can be seen from the outside. Dont assume you have total control over what goes on inside your apartment!

Power hungry management companies. Like something out of 1984. He somebody had an issue with something that was inside my property I'd just tell them to stop looking in my window if it offends them so much.

LOL, I am an active member of mine and would never allow such a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

In our apartment complex you aren't allowed to have washing on the balcony, or have it so that it's visible from a window. Glad I live on the top floor!

If there is a complaint made against you, you can get a €100 fine from the management company!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I got a terrible fright the other day when I glanced up from changing the bedclothes and there were two young guys staring right in at me.
    I would definitely mention this to the neighbours and the local gardaí.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    I would definitely mention this to the neighbours and the local gardaí.

Done, done and also alerted the management agent and a letter is going out to all residents warning them. There have been some minor crime incidents (stolen washing off a line, kids toys stolen).

It is a particular group of people who are housed locally, they periodically step up the hassle and petty crime in the area and it appears to be in an up phase. The guards, local councillers, local authority, dog warden etc are all aware of it.

But back to privacy options - ebixa, I thought of a question there while I was in the car and the heat of my body after my run steamed up the windows - does the window film stay on fine through normal apartment living, steam, cooking etc... it doesnt go peely at the sides from condensation?

What about washing it - as in, i wash the insides of the windows from time to time - can you wash it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

In our apartment complex you aren't allowed to have washing on the balcony, or have it so that it's visible from a window. Glad I live on the top floor!

Seriously, I would tell any idiot that turned up to whinge about my washing being visible where to go! That's beyond a joke.

Let them send whatever letters or fines they like but my property would be my home and if the rest didn't like it then that's tough!

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Seriously, I would tell any idiot that turned up to whinge about my washing being visible where to go! That's beyond a joke.

Let them send whatever letters or fines they like but my property would be my home and if the rest didn't like it then that's tough!

You don't own an apartment, you lease it. The lease you sign at "purchase" binds you to certain conditions. It's pretty common to ban washing on balconies or inside windows. Don't like the terms, don't buy! If you're renting you are bound to comply with development rules and your landlord is bound to ensure that you do. Don't like it. Live somewhere else.

athtrasna wrote: »
    You don't own an apartment, you lease it. The lease you sign at "purchase" binds you to certain conditions. It's pretty common to ban washing on balconies or inside windows. Don't like the terms, don't buy! If you're renting you are bound to comply with development rules and your landlord is bound to ensure that you do. Don't like it. Live somewhere else.

I understand washing on a balcony, but banning washing visible inside someone's window is just pathetic. How can you defend such nonsense?

I understand washing on a balcony, but banning washing visible inside someone's window is just pathetic. How can you defend such nonsense?

I'm not defending it, I'm saying people signed up to it and therefore are bound to comply.

athtrasna wrote: »
    I'm not defending it, I'm saying people signed up to it and therefore are bound to comply.

If someone told me to not put my clothes horse too near my window I'd politely tell them to fcuk.

If the mgmt company wanted to take me to court over refusal to do so they would be more than welcome.

If someone doesn't like looking at my clothes horse then they should stop looking in my window.

Could we get back on topic please?

ebixa - Im still interested in your answers to my questions above?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carpejugulum

If there is a complaint made against you, you can get a €100 fine from the management company!
    They can't fine you.

Could we get back on topic please?

ebixa - Im still interested in your answers to my questions above?

What more would you like to know?

I think it was windowfilm.ie I went with.

Very happy with their service.

I'm sure it can be done by yourself (they post out the roll to you) but like I said, I didn't want to risk messing it up. Two bedroom windows done for 130e. That was 6 months and not a mark or bubble on them yet.

• Advertisement

They can't fine you.

They can't fine you but they can impose a monetary sanction if your lease allows for that as many do. It amazes me sometimes how many people don't read and take in these clauses at purchase.

If you are renting and breach a rule in a development where monetary sanctions are applicable, the charge will be added to your landlord's account and depending on your lease with the landlord they may pursue you for it.

Advertisement