Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning/Part time job

Options
  • 24-10-2012 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭

I am in 2nd year in Computer Science and would love to get a part time job that has something to do with programming so I can build experience. I know I have very limited knowledge at the moment but was wondering if anyone has any ideas of where/how I can build experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Mobile apps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

also op you could get involved in an open source project?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

Apologies for hijacking this thread..

Graduated with degree in computer science but have found myself removed from coding since then. Kind of looking to get back involved in something myself to develop some additional skills..

Somebody commented on mobile apps / open source but that's quite vague.

In terms of technologies to learn or underastand what would be the best thing to learn these days. Am i right in saying .net (c#?)

Would appreciate a steer in the right direction based on where you guys (with more dev experience) think the market etc will go soon so that in a year or two i will have rleevant skills to be able to put to any potential employers etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Lombardo86 wrote: »
    Apologies for hijacking this thread..

Graduated with degree in computer science but have found myself removed from coding since then. Kind of looking to get back involved in something myself to develop some additional skills..

Somebody commented on mobile apps / open source but that's quite vague.

In terms of technologies to learn or underastand what would be the best thing to learn these days. Am i right in saying .net (c#?)

Would appreciate a steer in the right direction based on where you guys (with more dev experience) think the market etc will go soon so that in a year or two i will have rleevant skills to be able to put to any potential employers etc

Mobile Apps, i.e. learn how to make apps for platforms such as Android, iPhone, iPad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Mobile apps are a good idea, A lot of employers are currently looking for people in these areas, though over time this will probably change to mobile optimised HTML5 web apps but they're fairly easy to make and a handy way to add some projects to your portfolio.

I was in the same position and was also recommended to do an open source project, I won't lie I tried that and it was daunting, checking out a large amount of source code and trying to figure out what the hell it all did scared me away from it.

I then moved to iPhone apps, enjoyed doing it and made a few, did a few small paid jobs using my other apps as a portfolio.

I recently did work placement through my degree (CS too) and focused on mobile applications, it's rewarding work and you'll always have them in your pocket!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Ricky91t wrote: »

I then moved to iPhone apps, enjoyed doing it and made a few, did a few small paid jobs using my other apps as a portfolio.

I recently did work placement through my degree (CS too) and focused on mobile applications, it's rewarding work and you'll always have them in your pocket!

How did you get your first few small paid jobs?

I would love to do some small apps on the side. I am doing small ones for myself now but wouldn't mind making a small few bob on the side!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭shanefitz360

For the OP: No need to focus on getting a job in your spare time when you are only in 2nd year. Concentrate on doing well in your degree and build something! Anything! Something you can talk about in an interview. It doesn't have to be amazing, it doesn't have to have any users, it doesn't have to be an active open source project. Just something you did in your spare time that shows you are capable and have a passion for technology.

As others have noted, mobile is perfect for this and is exactly what I did early in my degree. You do not need a job. GitHub, Play Store, App Store, Windows Store, websites etc. are perfect for showing potential employers your ability and passion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Like shanefitz said focus on your college work and build something. Open source is a great idea but it's very hard to get into. What I usually do is create my own open source project/s some becomes famous and some don't. If your interested send me a pm I can tell you how to get started with open source.

Check outs some of my projects at: http://code.google.com/u/pureIsometric/

Advertisement