Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Security

Options
  • 24-10-2012 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I did the Summer J1 in 2008 and received a Social Security Number/Card. However, I've since lost it and any knowledge of the number. I'm returning to do the 12 month J1 visa next week. Do I get a new Social Security number/card or do I replace the old one?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Once you have a SSN number it is yours for life. You do not replace it. Ever. If you have lost the card that has your SSN number on it, swing by your local Social Security Administration office & they will issue you with a new one card, but the SSN number will remain the same. Your local SSA office will be easy enough to find on Google. Bring some form of photo ID with you to facilitate the process. The new card itself will be mailed out to you. That can take a couple of weeks. But if in the mean time you need verification of what your SSN is (for prospective employers for example) the SSA office will print you out a letter stating what it is, free of charge.

Once you have your replacement SSN card, memorize the numbers, then put the card away in a safe place, and treat it as just a valuable and precious item as your passport, credit cards, ATM cards etc etc. Try not to lose it again. Identity theft is big business in the US. Most of the fraud revolves around stolen/fraudulent social security numbers/cards. If someone out to do no good were to get his/her hands on your actual SSN card, they would think that they had won the Lotto !

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭hoggy87

Thanks for that! Hopefully I lost the card here rather than in the States so!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Like a cat, you now only have 9 lives. You can only replace your SSN card ten times in a lifetime.

Memorise that sucker.

Advertisement