Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EUROPA LEAGUE: LIVERPOOL V ANZHI MAKHACHKALA 25th October KO 20:05 (Setanta Sports 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Assaidi was the best thing about that game. Has pace, technical ability and a brain. Looks a great buy.

Nice one :)

Roll on Sunday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Can I say Andre Wisdom can have my children?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Happy with that and sets us up nicely for sunday:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Thought Assaidi was MOTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

NukaCola wrote: »
    Nice touch from Rodgers with Downing there

He was showing him to the Anji owner and saying "You buy, you buy!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Good performance.

Top of the group now, 3 clean sheets in the row.

I would Suarez 2/10 for his performance and attitude tonight. Pure utter sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Suarez was shocking tonight. Cringe looking at him at times. He needs to cop the **** on asap.

Assaidi was quality again. Looks really good. Nice and direct, exactly what we need especially with Sterling on the other side and drop Gerrard into the three of Sahin and Allen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I love 1-0 wins

Jones has done enough to seriously contest Reina for a starting place, he has looked very composed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Thought Assaidi was MOTM

Very impressive.

Himself and Sterling are flyers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

At least he's our idiot.

He was rotten tonight.....in general play and attitude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

as the waiting shadows have to step backwards into the dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Good performance by Liverpool bar Suarez, he was truly awful.
    Surprised Anzhi didn't offer a bit more, they were horrible in possession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Nice of Rodgers to get the Kop to acknowledge Downing. Match winner tonight..
    Should have won by alot more though but its a win thankfully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

[QUOTE=NukaCola;81429099]Nice touch from Rodgers with Downing there[/QUOTE]

Thought it was a bit unnecessary myself tbh....kinda embarrassing for Downing I would think.

Suarez was very frustrating tonight. Impressed again with Assaidi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

NukaCola wrote: »
    He was rotten tonight.....in general play and attitude

Yeah, have to agree. He ran around like a headless chicken. Did a few things right but no need to get himself booked like that. Also gave the ball away far too much

Our new left back...:pac:

stewart-downing.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

darced wrote: »

His attitude of jumping on the ground every two minutes and mouthing at the ref was pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

darced wrote: »

Huge difference between work rate and attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Thought it was a bit unnecessary myself tbh....kinda embarrassing for Downing I would think.

Suarez was very frustrating tonight. Impressed again with Assaidi

Listening to the post match interview with Downing and he said he was chuffed with it....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Great night for us with Young Boys beating Udinese. Suddenly we're in a great position in the group. 1 win and 1 draw from the next 3 should be enough.

Assaidi has been rightly praised - he looks a real bargain.

I thought Skrtel and Agger were both brilliant tonight. Wisdom as well very composed.

That's 3 clean sheets on the trot. Also, we have been defending set-pieces superbly this season. Not sure if that is something we've been working on in training but we've been very solid in this regard.

We've seen out two 1-0's now, but I still feel we can be killing these games off better. Not so much in terms of getting a 2nd goal as I know we struggle to score, but just in terms of keeping the ball, not losing the ball stupidly with 4 players committed far up the pitch, being clever in these situations.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

4 points from the last 3 games will see us through, but hopefully the other teams will draw a couple of games to make it easier.

Also Sahin was very good tonight, without doing too much that stood out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Was at work so missed the match.

1. What did Agger do that you were all commenting on?

2. What did Rodgers do at the end regarding Downing?

joe123 wrote: »

8123097699_c8d6b3881a_o.gif

2.took Downing over to the KOP for some man fan love

Did Johnson pick up an injury? Or was he just being rested ahead of Sunday?

deccurley wrote: »
    I have to say I'd take a draw right now

where's your ambition? :p
    joe123 wrote: »

2. What did Rodgers do at the end regarding Downing?

Agger headed the ball out of the keepers hand and scored but alas it didn't count as the ball was technically still under the stoppers control.

Missed Downings leaving the pitch but I think the manager just gave him a warm hug and a round of applause and a mug of cocoa

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Morzadec wrote: »
    We've seen out two 1-0's now, but I still feel we can be killing these games off better. Not so much in terms of getting a 2nd goal as I know we struggle to score, but just in terms of keeping the ball, not losing the ball stupidly with 4 players committed far up the pitch, being clever in these situations.

We've been terrible at this. Allen, Gerrard and especially Suarez all guilty of giving the ball away very cheaply in the last 3-4 minutes tonight. It'll cost us at some stage if we keep doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Fair play to Downing...instead of complaining and sitting on his ass he showed that he wants to fight for his place. Fair play.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

mike65 wrote: »
    where's your ambition? :p

Missed Downings leaving the pitch but I think the manager just gave him a warm hug and a round of applause and a mug of cocoa

Then brought him home, tucked him in and read him favourite bedtime story

Possession 59% v 41%
    Corners 5 v 3
    Goal attempts 16 v 11
    On target 7 v 3
    Fouls 9 v 15
    Offside 2 v 0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

OK just home and was getting ready to watch the match from ITV4 recording. The fcukin recording failed :(.
    Can anyone give me a quick synopsis :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

OK just home and was getting ready to watch the match from ITV4 recording. The fcukin recording failed :(.
    Turn on itv4+1 quick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Wisdom was very good tonight
    glad we didnt waste 20m on Phil Jones last year

Liverpool were neat, a bit slow, the middle didn't work but the left wing did. Luis was falling over, running down blind alleys, picking the wrong option. The other team didn't really offer much - Eto might as well not have played in truth. The second half started brightly for Liverpool and then "BANG!" Downing who was shunted to LB from attacking right (Johnson off, Sterling on) sent a glorious ball into the far side of the keepers net. Other than that it was largely more of the same and then the ref blew up.

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Turn on itv4+1 quick

lol thanks. I forgot about that :)

• Advertisement

Liverpool were neat, a bit slow, the middle didn't work but the left wing did. Luis was falling over, running down blind alleys, picking the wrong option. The other team didn't really offer much - Eto might as well not have played in truth. The second half started brightly for Liverpool and then "BANG!" Downing who was shunted to LB from attacking right (Johnson off, Sterling on) sent a glorious ball into the far side of the keepers net. Other than that it was largely more of the same and then the ref blew up.

Standout players Assaidi, Skrtel, Agger, Sahin, Wisdom. Probably in that order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

opr wrote: »
    Honestly once Lucas gets back to provide proper defensive cover Downing could prove to be an excellent left back. Him and Johnson on the other side against weaker teams could be a wonderful option.

Opr
    He made 3 or 4 terrible passes/crosses that led to Anzhi getting chances. If it wasn't for his goal, people would have been saying he was the worst Liverpool player on the field tonight, and they would have been correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

He made 3 or 4 terrible passes/crosses that led to Anzhi getting chances. If it wasn't for his goal, people would have been saying he was the worst Liverpool player on the field tonight, and they would have been correct.

Yeah because he isn't used to the position. He will need time to grow into the position. Downing is a player who can't beat a man so as an attacking full back he is perfect. The winger creates the space and slips the ball to Downing. It's why with a counter team like Aston Villa he did quite well. He's excellent at driving into space and crossing the ball or shooting but can't beat a man. He has all the raw attributes to be an excellent LB except for the defensive stuff which will take time. I've been saying for over a year that we should be using him as an LB and it has nothing to do with him scoring from that position tonight.

Opr

Thanks Mike

Just saw the 1st half summary on 101greatgoals. It looks like Assaidi had a great half and is a serious box or tricks. The reports said he was MOTM. All in all it bodes well for us & a nice little run of form going in to our next few games :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,046 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Just have a feeling Assaidi is going to score against Everton. I see he scored in Heerenveen's home derby game last season against Groningen (as much of a derby as they have I think).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

MD1990 wrote: »
    Wisdom was very good tonight
    glad we didnt waste 20m on Phil Jones last year

Glad I waited for the lineups! It's still too early to call Jones a waste but don't let that get in the way of a cheap dig

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Just have a feeling Assaidi is going to score against Everton. I see he scored in Heerenveen's home derby game last season against Groningen (as much of a derby as they have I think).

Ah come on that's stretching it a bit!if it rains on Sunday and he scored in holland when it rained.......I hope your right though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,046 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

gafferino wrote: »
    Ah come on that's stretching it a bit!if it rains on Sunday and he scored in holland when it rained.......I hope your right though!

That's not my reason for thinking he'll score, just a fun fact. My reason for thinking he'll score is that he's gotten consistently better, will be brimming with confidence if he gets to come on, and has a very good scoring record over the past 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Tusky wrote: »
    Assaidi was the best thing about that game. Has pace, technical ability and a brain. Looks a great buy.

Riera with pace

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

Riera with pace

Riera was a good player for liverpool. a faster version would be much welcomed

• Advertisement
Advertisement