Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting up curtain rail on dry lined wall?

• 24-10-2012 11:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭

I need a curtain rail put on a dry lined wall. Can it be put up normally or because of the dry lining do special screws need to be used? I don't want it falling down and leaving holes in the wall.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13 HomeRepair.ie

As the curtain rail may be carrying heavy curtains, it must be supported by fixings made into the masonry using a long screw and wallplug. The best type is a frame plug long enough to pass through wall cladding and penetrate masonry by about 40mm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

mood wrote: »
    I need a curtain rail put on a dry lined wall. Can it be put up normally or because of the dry lining do special screws need to be used? I don't want it falling down and leaving holes in the wall.

If you do a thread search here you'll see quite a few people have had this issue.

As said above you should be able to use long frame fixings, if there's a brick/block wall in behind the dry lining.

Depending on how the dry lining is done there might be wooden batons going up each side of the window, so you could just put wood screws into these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

https://www.google.ie/search?q=toggle+bolts&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari#biv=i|0;d|r3nGfNXhyI11aM:

These things have being used to hang TVs on walls

If u go to a good hardware they will help you out with heavy duty plasterboard fixings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

These are the babys you need. i have used these on 100mm insulation boards and no poblems

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Have a read of my post and pics on the matter.

Very simple to do and not rocket science either.:)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80870473&postcount=11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,629 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You need to know what is behind the plaster board. If there is a concrete lintel in the right place, then Paddy's suggestion will work. If you can find timber studs then just screw through to the timber.

If there is nothing behind the plaster board then the toggle bolts work really well, though you have to make a fairly big hole to get them in and you need enough clearance behind the plasterboard for the length of the two 'wings', open and turned to one side, to clear. It is possible to fold the two wings back and push the bolt in centre-first, but that needs an even bigger hole. You put the bold through the rail-fixture before you put it into the wall because once its in its gone. You also have to hand turn the bolt while holding the wings against the back of the wall until it is tight enough to 'catch'. Its a lot of messing but when they work they work very well.

Do not use those god-awful plastic yokes that supposedly screw into the wall then you screw a screw into the hole in the centre. They will either pulverise the plaster board or break off at a crucial stage, or both. :(

Advertisement