Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Would Happen If....

• 24-10-2012 11:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭

...You're driving along at 60mph and then suddenly you put the car into reverse?

I'm guessing it wouldn't be good anyway!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Degag wrote: »
    ...You're driving along at 60mph and then suddenly you put the car into reverse?

Your wheels would lock up and likley the engine would be damaged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Your car would be full of holes where the engine and gearbox exited due to the stress put on it.

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Nothing, as you have to be stationery to engage reverse gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Bye bye gearbox and engine.....do it sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Probably travel through time :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

we need a volunteer with a recording device

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

I don't think you would be able to. But if by chance you did manage to force the gear stick back I imagine the gear box & engine would be bollocksed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

You would hear a 'kerrrkkkkkkk' sound and fúck up your car.

And get slapped for being a eejit hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

You'd strip the teeth off the 5th gear/reverse synchro and probably the final drive too. It's not easy to do, you'd have to force it into reverse and even then it won't engage as the cigs are spinning in the opposite directions thereby stripping the teeth from the gear/synchro. It won't damage the engine.

It'd be much better craic to ram it into 1st gear at 60mph, the gearbox and engine will go pop at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Was in an empty carpark of a Saturday with loads of space so was reversing fairly fast and the jammed her straight into first and put the foot down....

Heard a noise....two CV joints fcuked :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What would happen if God was one of us, just a slob like one of us, just a stranger on the bus. Trying to make his way home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Nothing would happen except some grinding. An engine will cut out before it bores a hole in the space time continuum. Engineers thought of that one back in dickety 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Your gearbox would implode.

Or you'll go back in time, I dunno lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Errrrr ..... would be spectacular for YouTube.
    Bring a video camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

CJC999 wrote: »
    You'd strip the teeth off the 5th gear/reverse synchro and probably the final drive too. It's not easy to do, you'd have to force it into reverse and even then it won't engage as the cigs are spinning in the opposite directions thereby stripping the teeth from the gear/synchro. It won't damage the engine.

It'd be much better craic to ram it into 1st gear at 60mph, the gearbox and engine will go pop at the same time.

What he said.
    Same for me.
    I know nothing about cars, but the above sounds like it, particularly stripping the teeth from the gear/synchro thing, I like that bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You would end up back where you started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Probably travel through time :eek:

Only if you are going at 88mph.

Or just ask any woman driver ?

*runs for nuclear shelter*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

There would be a whole segment on Joe Duffy all about you...

"Into REVERSE Joe.. while doing 60mph no less..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

Trent could pull it off.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

I know a guy that was travelling 100 km/h on a motor way and said hmm what would happen if I put it into first. ****ed up the whole engine and gear box, had to get new ones. I reckon if you were travelling along and put in reverse and accelerated the engine would blow from the pressure and the car would skid!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭A fella called fish

Mythbusters tested this in both manual and automatic cars. While it made a horrible grinding noise and didn't do the gearbox any good - it didn't (can't) go into reverse or jerk to a sudden stop as you might expect.

I'm sure you'll find their test results on youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

It would be the car equivalent of falling off your bike and using your balls for brakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

They done that on mythbusters... makes absolute ****e of your car. But thats television.

I suggest you try it and tell us the result!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

What would happen if...You're driving along at 60mph and then suddenly you put the car into reverse?

Your nutsack would explode... FACT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

If you try it Daniel Craig will kick your ass and you will be sued by MGM, Danjaq and Eon Productions cause they own that sh*t

Mythbusters tested this in both manual and automatic cars. It didn't (can't) go into reverse or jerk to a sudden stop as you might expect.

Myth busted.
    I'm sure you'll find their test results on youtube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

keith16 wrote: »
    Was in an empty carpark of a Saturday with loads of space so was reversing fairly fast and the jammed her straight into first and put the foot down....

Heard a noise....two CV joints fcuked :(

Thanks for that, no more J-Turn practice leaving the office for me.

Advertisement