Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BERLIN MARATHON 29/9/2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Seems like crazy prices - 110 unless you're super quick and lucky - to run in a city which isn't that special if we're honest and with 40,000 runners. There are hundreds of other marathons as alternatives.

Berlin ain't cheap either, flights and hotels.

To each his own obviously. I'm doing Valencia in 3 weeks time. Roughly 10,000 runners, weather should be spot on, flat course, Ryanair flights and so on. Did Metz on October 14th. Low key, if you like that kinda thing. Of the big city ones I'd love to do NYC and Boston once before I grind to a halt.

Yes, I realise they'd be a lot more expensive than Berlin but these two are genuinely 'iconic' as city marathons go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Rom

We stayed there 4 years in a row. Class hotel. With the local hookers 400m around Thr corner it's not the place to bring Thr family. The inline skating passes the hotel sat. 5 min walk to zoo Irish bar so very central. If friends going. 3 min walk to nollendorfstratz with is beside 21.1k and 36k......good choice

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Berlin, for me, is without doubt the most over-rated marathon I've done. My view of it is probably coloured by a bit of a blow-up, but I honestly found the whole thing a bit of a nightmare. The Expo was very difficult to get to, the crowds were huge, no T-shirt (I cared about that a few years ago!!), over-priced, not overly impressed with the city, a boring enough course. I think it's success is down to all the world records really. Just my personal opinion, but I'd take Amsterdam, Seville, Paris, London long before I'd consider Berlin again.

Despite the fact that I have happy memories of a PB in Berlin, I really cant argue with anything that you have said above! Ive done Berlin twice now and unlikely I will do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Rom

We stayed there 4 years in a row. Class hotel. With the local hookers 400m around Thr corner it's not the place to bring Thr family. The inline skating passes the hotel sat. 5 min walk to zoo Irish bar so very central. If friends going. 3 min walk to nollendorfstratz with is beside 21.1k and 36k......good choice
    One of the nearby hotels has extras such as a cage, stocks and a swing :) freaky area but a nice hotel and nice places to eat nearby. Didn't see any hookers when I there last time but then again I wasn't on the lookout :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

I did the Munich half marathon 2 weeks ago can't recommend it enough the full marathon is on the same day great course and highlight is the finish which is a lap of the Olympic stadium so this might be a good alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Pre registered for this, €90. Looking forward to it.

rom wrote: »
    It seems to start "Straße des 17. Juni/B2/B5" ?

The motel one is booked out.
    "Hotel Berlin Berlin, Lützowplatz, Berlin, Germany" on octopustravel.com with free cancellation up to 2 weeks before the race with them as a year is a long way away. 147 per night for twin room with breakfast. Double 128 no breakfast. 147 double with breakfast. 1.2km walk to center of tiergarden. 6.15 a.m. breakfast starts. You can get better prices but I don't know how to book a twin on their site http://www.hotel-berlin.de/en/the-hotel/location-directions.html

Seems to be booked out too, any other suggestions people?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Mr Slow wrote: »

Seems to be booked out too, any other suggestions people?
    With underground so good u could stay near finish but would pay for it. I will hopefully never stay in a hotel again before a marathon. Apartments are the way to go. You bring your own grub that you are used too. So if u over pay for apartment you make it back and know your stomach will be ok. Always struggled to get decent porridge in hotels

With underground so good u could stay near finish but would pay for it. I will hopefully never stay in a hotel again before a marathon. Apartments are the way to go. You bring your own grub that you are used too. So if u over pay for apartment you make it back and know your stomach will be ok. Always struggled to get decent porridge in hotels

Makes sense, might pair up with a boardsie or two and share the expense, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Great to see you are back on for a marathon Mr Slow.

Saw ya in McGrattans last night (career_move was introducing from a distance!)but didnt get a chance to go over.

Pre-registered for this as well. Looking forward to it.

I could be interested in apartment sharing as well so let me know if you want to arrange something.

blockic wrote: »
    Great to see you are back on for a marathon Mr Slow.

Saw ya in McGrattans last night (career_move was introducing from a distance!)but didnt get a chance to go over.

Pre-registered for this as well. Looking forward to it.

I could be interested in apartment sharing as well so let me know if you want to arrange something.

Great, I've a few more interested, I'll look into it over the next week or so and once people have committed to the race we can sort accomodation.

Great, I've a few more interested, I'll look into it over the next week or so and once people have committed to the race we can sort accomodation.

If you get a good apartment recommendations then please PM them on. Hotel is booked but would go with apartment to have control of food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Got my registration code this morning and paid my €66.
    A few of us from the club are going to head over so looking for recommendations on apartments, thanks

Any 90 euro person get their code yet ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Just finalised my €66 entry. I had to pay an added €6 for champion chip which is annoying as I forgot to return my chip for the Berlin half back in April and was charged €25 at the time but that meant I could keep it for future races but my wife thinks she threw it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Just booked my €66 entry as well. Paid an extra 2.99 for a HD race day video, worth a punt for 3 quid. Would have liked a t-shirt but wasn't going to spend 20 or 30 quid on one!

Was in Santry Sports Clinic last night getting "re-educated in running", so my first Berlin training run is tonight, shorter steps with a higher cadence and mid foot strike were recommended for me to run more efficiently, as opposed to the giant heal striking strides I was doing. Feels a bit weird running in a different way but I am assured it is "more efficient". A bit steep (aka overpriced) at 200 quid but glad I went all the same.

Good luck with the training, and for people still wanting to register there must be people that have pre-registered that dont go through with the payment, the deadline is November 11th.

Go team!

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Just got it there now..

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ac20

happygoose wrote: »
    Nope

I got my 90 euro code about two hours ago, so will be signing up in the next few days.
    First Berlin for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

I was there this year ac20, amazing day/w'end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Well the early price went from 66 to 60 euro this year which is good. Compare it to New York its a bargin.

Compared to Dublin it's a bargain!!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ac20

happygoose wrote: »
    I was there this year ac20, amazing day/w'end.

yes it comes recommended by a few of my clubmates who have done it over the years, so I am looking forward to it although it seems ages away. I have decided to do Barcelona for the 2nd year running in the interim, it was so great in Mar 2012, and its on Paddys Day next yr.:):):)

Got it at lunchtime and registered just now.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Just booked my €66 entry as well. Paid an extra 2.99 for a HD race day video, worth a punt for 3 quid. Would have liked a t-shirt but wasn't going to spend 20 or 30 quid on one!
    Go team!

not to worry.
    You can pick one up at the expo, or even after the race they have a stall selling marathon gear.
    Will still cost €25, though :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Came across this for any one still looking to get in...
    http://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/service/tour-operators.html

Picked up some Kinvara 3's today so my foray into minimalist running begins tonight!

Go team!

Anyone having any luck with cost effective lodgings? Have looked through several apartments and sleeps 4 for most of them only works if you're having a threesome and the extra person gets to sleep in the living area. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Anyone having any luck with cost effective lodgings? Have looked through several apartments and sleeps 4 for most of them only works if you're having a threesome and the extra person gets to sleep in the living area. :rolleyes:
    That'll add a bit of excitement to the trip surely.....;)

That'll add a bit of excitement to the trip surely.....;)

Not so much, you know the way they say running will never be a glamorous sport....? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭jc_eire

Is it too late to apply does anyone know?

• Advertisement

jc_eire wrote: »
    Is it too late to apply does anyone know?

There may be a second round of offers but you'd be very lucky to get one.

Advertisement