Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BERLIN MARATHON 29/9/2013

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Just buy them over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

or get them for next to nothing at the gigantic expo over there...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

or get them for next to nothing at the gigantic expo over there...

Just askin, jeez. My luck plays out like this, either there'd be gank gels over there that you wouldn't feed your competition or they'd be sold out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Just askin, jeez. My luck plays out like this, either there'd be gank gels over there that you wouldn't feed your competition or they'd be sold out :)

Have you considered trying to wean yourself off them by any chance? I don't take them myself anymore as I never really thought they did anything for me. I think many people take them for the placebo effect (and if that does the job then great!) but I now think if you build up your base miles correctly then you will teach your body to adapt to fat stores rather than the gels. Of course with your running history gels may have a different impact but I'd be a believer in only taking something like that if you really needed it and even then only the rare time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

belcarra wrote: »
    Have you considered trying to wean yourself off them by any chance? I don't take them myself anymore as I never really thought they did anything for me. I think many people take them for the placebo effect (and if that does the job then great!) but I now think if you build up your base miles correctly then you will teach your body to adapt to fat stores rather than the gels. Of course with your running history gels may have a different impact but I'd be a believer in only taking something like that if you really needed it and even then only the rare time.

I had to broadly smile at your post J, leading into DCM 2011 I ran dry, no gels, no sports drink etc, even ate less than usual the night before long runs in an effort to get the max effect. As you know when you deplete your glycogen reserves you temporarily weaken your immune system, keep training harder and harder without proper recovery and eventually the system gives in. I'm on the way back from full breakdown so I ain't taking any chances. :) Load me up with them gels there fraulein!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭irfrm

Accommodation and flights (Wed to Mon) are book so now have to start the training going to follow P&D 55m/18week plan but run a few more of the runs
    at MP and may put in an extra 20 miler.
    Follow for my first marathon in Cork last year and was pretty happy overall.
    Have been reading other boardies experiences of Berlin so this has me rearing to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭ergo

14 weeks to go today, how's everyone getting on?

I'm behind in my training already due to injuries/niggles but am hopefully getting back on track - such a nice time of year to be training too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

I'm behind too, havn't ran in 2.5 weeks due to bruised ribs. Regardless of how they are tomorrow I'm getting out for a run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Following P&D 18 week up to 55mpw plan more or less. Just back from 24K run.

4 down 14 to go. Has anyone any thoughts regarding races between now and then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Hope to do the 5 miler in the park on Saturday and then it's either the RnR or Longford half.
    Haven't picked any other races yet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Last week I was like ''no way im doing this''
    After a good weeks training im now feeling confident of hitting my target.

Still have to book flights and hotel :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Has anyone any thoughts regarding races between now and then?

Killarney Half, National Half and a 5 or 10k 2 weeks out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Doing the clonmel 1/2

Half way through my plan for Berlin and things going ok, had a poor Killarney half but have put a few good weeks in, buildibg up to 18 mile LSR this week with a few 20 milers in the next few weeks. Not sure if I'll be racing any 1/2 marathons as holidays and I'm away with work for a few weeks in September so its just lonely miles for me.

Have read that a few will not make the start line which is a tough, how's everyone else getting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭ergo

Missed out on the first few weeks of my training plan due to injuries but hopefully getting back on track over the last month and better in the last few weeks

Managed 20 mile run today, as much as I wish the heatwave was still here I'm glad it's cooled down a bit for the LSR's :) I haven't looked into specific warmup races, have a lot of weddings and things at the weekends, will have to try and fit in some somewhere though

20 miler for me today at easy pace. Felt very easy tbh. Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ac20

hey folks, really getting stuck in training now, cant wait for this. Does anyone know anything about the breakfeast run the morning before? I fly in on the Friday and was hoping to participate. Do you need to register for the breakfeast run at the expo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

ac20 wrote: »
    hey folks, really getting stuck in training now, cant wait for this. Does anyone know anything about the breakfeast run the morning before? I fly in on the Friday and was hoping to participate. Do you need to register for the breakfeast run at the expo?

you will love this marathon.
    the breakfast run is worth doing. it starts early on the sat (9:00?) from Charlottenburg Schloss (that's palace, to you and me ;)). no registration necessary, just turn up with about 4,000 others. a lot of participants bring along their national flags etc, so it might be worth wearing something that marks you out as being Irish, if that tickles your fancy. it all leads to a fairly festive slow 4 miles through the western suburbs until you reach th Olympic Stadion ( the blue track where Usain Bolt lowered the 100m WR to 9.69(?)). great photo ops here. you make your way through the stadium and out the opposite end where a generous and wholesome buffet breakfast awaits.
    bring €5 in your back pocket for a single fare back to the city centre (unless you fancy another 4/5 mile run back) - the Olympic Stadion U-bahn is a short walk away, but it will be thronged will like-minded individuals.
    word of warning - try get out the front of the breakfast run because (although it is truly a fun run) the pace at the blunt end is leisurely bordering on a stroll. In 2011 when three of us did it, one of us (me) ended up queuing for the loo and it cost us aspot at the front of the run. We ended up weaving in and out for the entire 4 miles despite our conservative pace.
    Enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Have a friend who has just had to pull out of the Berlin marathon this year due to injury. She is looking to offload her entry now.

Not sure what the rules are like or how she would do it but let me know if anyone is interested

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ac20

eliwallach wrote: »
    you will love this marathon.
    the breakfast run is worth doing. it starts early on the sat (9:00?) from Charlottenburg Schloss (that's palace, to you and me ;)). no registration necessary, just turn up with about 4,000 others. a lot of participants bring along their national flags etc, so it might be worth wearing something that marks you out as being Irish, if that tickles your fancy. it all leads to a fairly festive slow 4 miles through the western suburbs until you reach th Olympic Stadion ( the blue track where Usain Bolt lowered the 100m WR to 9.69(?)). great photo ops here. you make your way through the stadium and out the opposite end where a generous and wholesome buffet breakfast awaits.
    bring €5 in your back pocket for a single fare back to the city centre (unless you fancy another 4/5 mile run back) - the Olympic Stadion U-bahn is a short walk away, but it will be thronged will like-minded individuals.
    word of warning - try get out the front of the breakfast run because (although it is truly a fun run) the pace at the blunt end is leisurely bordering on a stroll. In 2011 when three of us did it, one of us (me) ended up queuing for the loo and it cost us aspot at the front of the run. We ended up weaving in and out for the entire 4 miles despite our conservative pace.
    Enjoy it.

Many thanks for this info.
    Yes a few members of my club have ran it in the past and have nothing but good things to say about it. I cant wait.

Not long now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Have a friend who has just had to pull out of the Berlin marathon this year due to injury. She is looking to offload her entry now.

Not sure what the rules are like or how she would do it but let me know if anyone is interested

Shane

had to pull out last year for the same reason...officially theres nothing you can do, as in the place is non transferable for insurance/medical reasons if something were to happen, but you hear of people just giving bibs to people all the time or selling it but it'd probably have to be someone she knows...not that im encouraging this...i didnt do it, they will issue her a goodwill voucher towards the marathon next year at best, which is what i got...think its for €65 only tho, not sure of the exact amount. she may be best going this route and writing it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

had to pull out last year for the same reason...officially theres nothing you can do, as in the place is non transferable for insurance/medical reasons if something were to happen, but you hear of people just giving bibs to people all the time or selling it but it'd probably have to be someone she knows...not that im encouraging this...i didnt do it, they will issue her a goodwill voucher towards the marathon next year at best, which is what i got...think its for €65 only tho, not sure of the exact amount. she may be best going this route and writing it off.

Cheers for that. Seems like the best thing. Long way for someone to travel and then be stopped from running.

Cheers for that. Seems like the best thing. Long way for someone to travel and then be stopped from running.

no problem...just had a look and tell her to mail this address explaining she's had to pull out

scc@scc-events.com

they will then issue her with some forms to send back for the voucher.

How do I know which wave I am in ? I am getting really worried about this now. I emailed them and they said that its my first marathon when it isn't :( please help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

rom wrote: »
    How do I know which wave I am in ? I am getting really worried about this now. I emailed them and they said that its my first marathon when it isn't :( please help!

Then I would suggest emailing them and telling them it is not your first marathon :) and telling them what time you did before. I know last year they wanted to put CL and digger in a back pen based on their marathon PBs of 3:5x so digger emailed 'updated' ;) PB's of 3:15ish which got them up near the front...anyway if you are in the front 4 or 5 pens you are fine as the start is very efficient.
    AFAIR you get an email with a 'registration confirmation' about a month before the race. This is a document you bring to the expo. In one of the corners there is a letter (a,b, c d etc) which is you pen. A is the first pen for elites and I the other pens are staggered downwards.

Anyway if all else fails there is a desk at the expo for moving up pens and it looked to me like they were giving out stickers to all who asked for one.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Then I would suggest emailing them and telling them it is not your first marathon :) and telling them what time you did before. I know last year they wanted to put CL and digger in a back pen based on their marathon PBs of 3:5x so digger emailed 'updated' ;) PB's of 3:15ish which got them up near the front...anyway if you are in the front 4 or 5 pens you are fine as the start is very efficient.
    AFAIR you get an email with a 'registration confirmation' about a month before the race. This is a document you bring to the expo. In one of the corners there is a letter (a,b, c d etc) which is you pen. A is the first pen for elites and I the other pens are staggered downwards.

Anyway if all else fails there is a desk at the expo for moving up pens and it looked to me like they were giving out stickers to all who asked for one.
    Very scared about this. What pen did you run from last year ?

a 2:20-2:40
    b 2:40-2:50
    c 2:50 -3
    d 3 - 3:15
    e 3:15 - 3:30
    f 3:30 - 3:50
    g 3:50-4:15
    h 4:15+ or no PB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Very scared about this. What pen did you run from last year ?

a 2:20-2:40
    b 2:40-2:50
    c 2:50 -3
    d 3 - 3:15
    e 3:15 - 3:30
    f 3:30 - 3:50
    g 3:50-4:15
    h 4:15+ or no PB

I think it was D as my PB was 3:10 at the time. I took about 1 minute to cross the start line. CL ran from E I think and she had little or no congestion either. Big tip is to stand to the left of the start pen as most people enter by the right and the left is less congested.
    That last pen (H) has about 70% of the field I think and is the only place I would be worried about. But as I say if they place you there then just ask to get moved up at the expo. Now breath deep and chill :)

I don't think its anything to stress about, the only time a wave should matter to someone is if they are in the sub 3 hour category where you want to head off quick and make sure a daisy chain of backpack wearing aul wans aren't blocking your path. on the flip side of that, you really shouldnt be up there with the elites if you are one of these aul wans, so i think the first wave is the only one that really counts, are you worried you are or are not in this particular wave? are you aiming for a sub 3? if not forget about it, it really doesnt matter all that much to regular runners.

also, berlin is very wide all through so you should be able to drop back or push forward easily enough regardless of what wave you are in, even at the beginning.

I don't think its anything to stress about, the only time a wave should matter to someone is if they are in the sub 3 hour category where you want to head off quick and make sure a daisy chain of backpack wearing aul wans aren't blocking your path. on the flip side of that, you really shouldnt be up there with the elites if you are one of these aul wans, so i think the first wave is the only one that really counts, are you worried you are or are not in this particular wave? are you aiming for a sub 3? if not forget about it, it really doesnt matter all that much to regular runners.

also, berlin is very wide all through so you should be able to drop back or push forward easily enough regardless of what wave you are in, even at the beginning.
    I hope to be sub 3 yes :)

• Advertisement

Got my email yesterday with my no which I bring to expo, can I tell from this mail what pen I'm in. Also trying to break 3hr (3:09 PB), does someone know if 3 hr pacers are in pen D?

Advertisement