Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BERLIN MARATHON 29/9/2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

irfrm wrote: »
    Got my email yesterday with my no which I bring to expo, can I tell from this mail what pen I'm in. Also trying to break 3hr (3:09 PB), does someone know if 3 hr pacers are in pen D?

Yes 3 hour pacers are in pen D. my number is 20XXXX all numbers :( so this means I am at the back ?
    update I am in block E. Thats ok i think. need to get that updated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

rom wrote: »
    Yes 3 hour pacers are in pen D. my number is 20XXXX all numbers :( so this means I am at the back ?
    update I am in block E. Thats ok i think. need to get that updated.

Pen E is fine, I am sure you can get a bump up at the expo if you really want.
    I reckon the 3 hour pacers are at the back of Pen C, but if you line up on the left hand side at the start (there is kind of a traffic Island separating the two sides) you will likely cross the start line at the same time as the pacers.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Pen E is fine, I am sure you can get a bump up at the expo if you really want.
    I reckon the 3 hour pacers are at the back of Pen C, but if you line up on the left hand side at the start (there is kind of a traffic Island separating the two sides) you will likely cross the start line at the same time as the pacers.
    Don't want to run with pacers but neg split.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Its no biggie you can change it at the expo or just hop the barrier into another pen nobody bats an eyelid.

Really looking forward to this now. Was out for last years race but at the start, serious buzz there before the off.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ac20

Cant wait for this now, four weeks today.

On my entry I put my estimated time at 3.45 and I intend going out with the 3.45 pacer. Can I ask anyone who has done this marathon, is congestion a problem with 40k entrants? I hope to get close enough to the pacer in the my coral and go off near to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

ac20 wrote: »
    Cant wait for this now, four weeks today.

On my entry I put my estimated time at 3.45 and I intend going out with the 3.45 pacer. Can I ask anyone who has done this marathon, is congestion a problem with 40k entrants? I hope to get close enough to the pacer in the my coral and go off near to him.

Congestion in this marathon is a fact.
    I didn't run with the pacers either of the two times I ran in this event so can't comment on what the 3:45 train will be like, but I'd imagine it will be one of the busier pacing slots.
    Water was supplied in plastic cups (not ideal) and this leads to a lot of debris around the water stations esp if you are running back behind ~5,000 runners (or more!).
    Also expect to stick to the road around the 17 mile mark as this is the Power-Gel section and with a lot of gels on the road from the runners in front.
    But the positives far outweigh the negatives and you should have a run to remember.
    Finally, your medal will feature the Brandenburg Gate on one side and the current Olympic Champion on the reverse (?). Nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

eliwallach wrote: »
    Water was supplied in plastic cups (not ideal) and this leads to a lot of debris around the water stations esp if you are running back behind ~5,000 runners (or more!).

The larger marathons always seem to supply their water in cups.
    I assume it's because they are easier to crush underfoot, otherwise if that many bottles were lying on the ground there'd likely to be many more tripping hazards.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭ergo

less than 4 weeks now and am a serious doubt due to injury - after 3 good months of training it's a big setback - will see how the next couple of weeks go - I've already had a week with no running- am torn between just about making the start line or deferring this attempt until DCM- flights are booked so will be in Berlin anyway and if I can run I'll be on the start line

did Berlin in 2009
    was very congested indeed at the start, I got stuck way back - it's very easy to underestimate how big a crowd of 40,000 is, especially when nothing like this in Ireland - always hard to get the balance right between an empty bladder and being in the best starting spot :rolleyes:
    I definitely left too little time to get to the pen from the main place where the portaloos were (on the Reichstag lawn if I recall correctly)

Every participant must pick up his or her race materials IN PERSON with a valid ID (national ID, passport, or driver’s license). Unfortunately, in the past, situations have arisen that made adequate medical care difficult because race numbers were sold or traded, and athletes could not be correctly identified in an emergency. For the wellbeing and personal safety of every participant, from now on we will be strictly controlling the race number distribution. Personal data and any illnesses or medications being taken must be documented on the back of the race number, so that in the case of an emergency, the medical teams can provide rapid and safe assistance. It is NO LONGER possible to provide someone else with a letter of attorney to pick up your race materials for you!

In order to guarantee the clear identification of each participant (see above), every runner will have a wristband placed on his or her wrist at the race number pick-up, which may NOT be removed until the race is finished. In addition to the above measures, this will assist in preventing race numbers from being sold or traded. The wristbands are made from Tyvek, a super-light material that cannot be torn (also used at many VIP events and other occasions). They are comfortable to wear, non-transferable (due to a strong glue) and tamper-proof.

No other bags or backpacks will be permitted to be taken into the restricted area at the start. Please note that you will only be granted access to the start area if you use the official clothing bag, which you will receive when with your race materials! The clothing bag drop-off will begin at 6:30 am. Any kind of fireworks, weapons, glass bottles or any other dangerous or sharp objects will not be permitted into the restricted event area.

Liquids: Water bottles and/or shower gels are permitted inside and will not be controlled.

The start for the 40th BMW BERLIN MARATHON on September 29th is being moved ahead by 15 minutes. The planned programming for the new television broadcast partner, ARD, is the reason behind this change. The event organiser, SCC EVENTS, has contracted HBS to produce the worldwide images. ARD will be reporting live from 8:20 am to 11:30 am, and then RBB will take over and continue until 1:30 pm. Eurosport will broadcast live from 8.40 a.m. until 11.30 a.m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Great marathon with excellent support and big time flat track... I loved it and will do it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

I know it's a bit premature but does anyone know when entry opens for 2014. I gather the spaces sell out fast.

Entry opens a week before DCM. Doesn't normally sell out for about 3 weeks but sold out in hours this year, some say because its the 40th anniversary. Either way best off getting in and getting an early entry for 60 euro rather than 90. Also book accommodation early it works out dirt cheap.

As the All-Ireland final is on the Sat. How do people find meeting up for the match in some pub?

Oscar Wilde is the best/most central to watch it, jammed with KK & Galway jersiesfor the replay last year. Decent food too. Walking distance from Freidrichstrasse station.

Many of you want to know when to register for the 41st BMW BERLIN-MARATHON 2014. We're going to draw the starting spots for next year.

The preregistration starts on Monday, 30th of September at noon and ends on Monday, October 14th. Within this time frame you can register for next year. The drawing of the starting spots is happening on the 30th of October. 14 day lottery.

http://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/news-and-media/news/2013/09/11/registration-for-the-41st-bmw-berlin-marathon-2014-will-open-on-september-30-2013.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

rom wrote: »
    Many of you want to know when to register for the 41st BMW BERLIN-MARATHON 2014. We're going to draw the starting spots for next year.

The preregistration starts on Monday, 30th of September at noon and ends on Monday, October 14th. Within this time frame you can register for next year. The drawing of the starting spots is happening on the 30th of October. 14 day lottery.

http://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/news-and-media/news/2013/09/11/registration-for-the-41st-bmw-berlin-marathon-2014-will-open-on-september-30-2013.html

No Berlin for me then...

edit: is 98 yoyos a price increase for Berlin?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

No Berlin for me then...

edit: is 98 yoyos a price increase for Berlin?

Yeah, cheapest reg for this year was €60 + €6 booking fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ned_strange

Hi unfortunately due to injury I won't be able to run. If anyone would like to try use my entry send pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Hi unfortunately due to injury I won't be able to run. If anyone would like to try use my entry send pm.

You can defer your entry until next year.
    I'm sure you got this email so deferring might be your only option

"Every participant must pick up his or her race materials IN PERSON with a valid ID (national ID, passport, or driver’s license). Unfortunately, in the past, situations have arisen that made adequate medical care difficult because race numbers were sold or traded, and athletes could not be correctly identified in an emergency"

• Advertisement

that's crap, sorry to hear that

my training plan completely interrupted by injury in the last month but 8 days out am hoping I'll make the start line and give it a lash

getting excited now, hope this Indian summer stays away from Berlin :cool: forecasting 8 to 17 degrees and mostly cloudy according to one of the weather things :)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭irfrm

Predictions anyone

Name - Bib - Prediction - Actual
    irfrm - 18133- 2:59:59-

Also checking out the weather getting anything from 10 to 20 degrees???

Will be Oscor wilde pub for match on Saturday evening and there for some real refreshments on Sunday evening if anyone is up to listening to me recount my 3 hour story:D

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

irfrm wrote: »
    Also checking out the weather getting anything from 10 to 20 degrees???

Looking forward to this now and this would do just fine - 6deg and Sunny! http://www.yr.no/place/Germany/Berlin/Berlin/long.html

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ac20

flying out tomorrow afternoon, cant wait. I may drop into the Oscar Wilde to catch a bit of the hurling Saturday. I will most certainly drop in Sunday after the marathon is done and dusted. Have a great marathon everyone and I hope you all achieve your target.

not even going to predict a time - if I can run the distance that'll be a start

these are both the excuses and facts in advance...!...:

last long run was 5 weeks ago 22 miles - then I had 2 full weeks with zero running due to injury, longest run since has been 9 miles - managed a couple of very short PMP runs in past week

tentative plan to go out with the 3 hour group see how long I last between injury and lost fitness - it may not be pretty :eek:- if foot holds up it may be a run out ahead of DCM, will see how it's all going

see ye all out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Best of luck to everyone running on Sunday. Go Big or Go Home!

Might see some of you on eurosport! ;)

See yee all on the aer lingus flight tomorrow evening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

The very best of luck to everyone on Sunday, it's a great race & location!

Think I'll be throwing my name in the lottery for an entry for next year next month.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck at the weekend folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

Good luck all. Ran my PB there in 2010.

Advertisement